a Nation of Servants [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : a Nation of Servants

i_am_infinity
03-29-2009, 20:27
Guys I am not patriotic but this is way below the belt.

http://hk-magazine.com/feature/war-home

Satire or not still i find it offensive...just my opinion.

The War At Home
March 27th, 2009

The Russians sank a Hong Kong freighter last month, killing the seven Chinese seamen on board. We can live with that—Lenin and Stalin were once the ideological mentors of all Chinese people. The Japanese planted a flag on Dioy Island. That’s no big problem—we Hong Kong Chinese love Japanese cartoons, Hello Kitty, and shopping in Shinjuku, let alone our round-the-clock obsession with karaoke.

But hold on—even the Filipinos? Manila has just claimed sovereignty over the scattered rocks in the South China Sea called the Spratly Islands, complete with a blatant threat from its congress to send gunboats to the South China Sea to defend the islands from China if necessary. This is beyond reproach. The reason: there are more than 130,000 Filipina maids working as $3,580-a-month cheap labor in Hong Kong. As a nation of servants, you don’t flex your muscles at your master, from whom you earn most of your bread and butter.

As a patriotic Chinese man, the news has made my blood boil. I summoned Louisa, my domestic assistant who holds a degree in international politics from the University of Manila, hung a map on the wall, and gave her a harsh lecture. I sternly warned her that if she wants her wages increased next year, she had better tell every one of her compatriots in Statue Square on Sunday that the entirety of the Spratly Islands belongs to China.

Grimly, I told her that if war breaks out between the Philippines and China, I would have to end her employment and send her straight home, because I would not risk the crime of treason for sponsoring an enemy of the state by paying her to wash my toilet and clean my windows 16 hours a day. With that money, she would pay taxes to her government, and they would fund a navy to invade our motherland and deeply hurt my feelings.

Oh yes. The government of the Philippines would certainly be wrong if they think we Chinese are prepared to swallow their insult and sit back and lose a Falkland Islands War in the Far East. They may have Barack Obama and the hawkish American military behind them, but we have a hostage in each of our homes in the Mid-Levels or higher. Some of my friends told me they have already declared a state of emergency at home. Their maids have been made to shout “China, Madam/Sir” loudly whenever they hear the word “Spratly.” They say the indoctrination is working as wonderfully as when we used to shout, “Long live Chairman Mao!” at the sight of a portrait of our Great Leader during the Cultural Revolution. I’m not sure if that’s going a bit too far, at least for the time being.

Chip Tsao is a best-selling author and columnist. A former reporter for the BBC, his columns have also appeared in Apple Daily, Next Magazine and CUP Magazine, among others.

Allegra
03-29-2009, 21:33
Western style humor yan :)

tima1
03-29-2009, 21:36
Any way to get in touch with this gay este guy? Would like to invite him to settle this matter in any dark parking lot here in the Phils. or in Hong Kong.

i_am_infinity
03-30-2009, 01:04
well yes it's satire/humor/funny but if you see those OFWs during sundays sa hongkong you'll feel sad for them. they would lay cartons on corners, on bridgeways and to see how they are in that situation simply breaks your heart and you blame the gov't for it. I feel offended not because he's attacking the filipinos through satire but because it's nor right to make fun or to use the OFWs as a joke in any situation. That's just me...

atmarcella
03-30-2009, 01:12
wala naman mangyayari dyan sa spratly's....

that is, kung wala pang oil ma discover...

pag meron na, talo tayo..

mas marami sila bengbeng..

hehe..

De Angelo
03-30-2009, 02:51
**** the author! he's full of BS..they're the nation of servants bowing down to communist rule..they should all die of bird flu for all i care

Glock_19_9x19
03-30-2009, 05:37
HK magazine has already withdrawn the article. They also issued an apology. Ang bilis nga kumalat ng news. It was shown sa GMA and TV patrol kanina..

BrassKnuckle
03-30-2009, 10:10
He should be ashamed of himself. So what if we send maids to Hong Kong? That's much better than the shabu that they send here.

New_comer
03-30-2009, 10:25
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/new_comer/spratlys.jpg

Isang dangkal lang mula Palawan yan ah.

Sobra namang sakim ng China!

Kaiser Soze
03-30-2009, 10:48
Guys if I may put in my .02 cents here...

Let's not be too "balat sibuyas" about this, remember this is one writer's obviously annoying opinion, it doesn't reflect the sentiments of all HK residents...I'm glad the magazine apologized, but really, people have been jumping at things like this too much, and it makes the issue larger than it needs to be.

Another thing, I find no reason to be ashamed of being labelled as a servant. Sticks and stones lang yan mga 'igan, and at the end of the day, as long as you're working and earning your keep in an honest and honorable way, you can still hold your head up high, whether self employed or not.

De Angelo
03-30-2009, 11:18
Guys if I may put in my .02 cents here...

Let's not be too "balat sibuyas" about this, remember this is one writer's obviously annoying opinion, it doesn't reflect the sentiments of all HK residents...I'm glad the magazine apologized, but really, people have been jumping at things like this too much, and it makes the issue larger than it needs to be.

Another thing, I find no reason to be ashamed of being labelled as a servant. Sticks and stones lang yan mga 'igan, and at the end of the day, as long as you're working and earning your keep in an honest and honorable way, you can still hold your head up high, whether self employed or not.

My 2 cents also

You can refer to maids as helpers and not servants, whole other meaning one that is obvously meant to demean..

These OFW's sacrifice a lot and most of them are ill treated by their employers, we all know that, but to have some foreign scum rub it in every Filipino's face is intolerable.

The editor should've never allowed such a racist article to come out, but why did he?! and now they even try to insult our inteligence by apologizing after the fact.

Kaiser Soze
03-30-2009, 12:00
I agree, helpers is a much better term, something that we should all adopt.

As for the editorial staff, I agree, they should've exercised more control on their magazine's content, just like that Malou Fernandez article a few years back that should have never made it to the printing press.

As for the satire angle, was this confirmed or not?

isuzu
03-30-2009, 18:49
The author is living in the dark age.

Clusterbomb
03-30-2009, 20:18
At least yung kanya alleged to be a satire.

But when one of our senators branded them as a race of cheaters, she wasn't satirizing. Just one of her typical hysterics for the cameras.

Tit for tat, ha-ha.

i_am_infinity
03-30-2009, 23:47
THE SERVANTS during sundays...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/i_am_infinity/IMG_1944.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/i_am_infinity/IMG_1945.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/i_am_infinity/IMG_1946.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/i_am_infinity/IMG_1947.jpg

atmarcella
03-31-2009, 00:55
we can take the critic constructively you know...

it hurts bcos its true...

reality bites ika nga...

many pinoys go abroad for employment even if the said position is lower... much lower than their qualifications...

bakit?

kasi wala trabaho sa atin...

bakit?

many reasons... right off the bat...

population explosion... 1

unstable govt... 2

labor unions (ang masakit dito these groups are financed by our taxes e.g. KMU)... 3

those are just some...

if our leaders fix these problems instead of the grandstanding knee-jerk reaction of "lets crucify the writer" then...

filipinos will not have to go to other countries for employment, and get abused, and raped, and killed etc.

i hope i see the time when majority of filipinos go abroad for a vacation. amen.

s.g
03-31-2009, 01:20
'They may have Barack Obama and the hawkish American military behind them, but we have a hostage in each of our homes in the Mid-Levels or higher.'

Gago pala siya e. Isipin niya nga maigi kung sino ang hostage, hahaha! Kahit babaeng mahina karamihan sa mga yan pag nathreaten ang pamilya ng mga yan dito, ewan ko na lang sila.

I like the map posted by newcomer, dahil dito kitang kita kung sino mas tama, kung kanino mas malapit and ergo, kung sino mas may karapatan sa Spratly's.

De Angelo
03-31-2009, 05:28
Criticism is different from racism IMO..

"As a nation of servants, you dont flex your muscles at your master, from whom you earn most of your bread and butter "

racism
The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
<!--//

//--><!--EOF_DEF--><!--BOF_DEF--><!--EOF_DEF-->

You Don't judge people until you've walked in their shoes.

The writer is attacking people who dont even give a F#$@! about what island in God knows where.They're just trying to feed their families.

I could've taken it more if he called out the corrupt gov't of the phil..but not the poor hardworking Filipinos, working on slave wages sacrificing for their families
</SCRIPT><!-- EC_TYPE_1 AG -->

mitchshrader
03-31-2009, 06:29
I didn't get that at all. i felt he was criticizing his own government by speaking satirically in the same sort of voice, with harsh but obvious rather than concealed racism. he was condemning not the people he spoke of, but those who use similar (more PC flavored) arguements.. with Concealed racism.

it wasn't a bit nice. . but it's the SORT of satire that might slide by Chinese censors because it's subtle, and NOT get him arrested for disturbing the social order..

yes you're angry, that's the POINT of it, to make you angry.. but NOT to make the chinese GOVERNMENT angry.. and one can't guess how well it works unless one knows the authors eventual fate.

Look under the words. Hear the TONE.. who is he? why is he saying THAT thing? he's not condemning anyone but the ones he mocks..by satirically imitating.

Allegra
03-31-2009, 18:26
I didn't get that at all. i felt he was criticizing his own government by speaking satirically in the same sort of voice, with harsh but obvious rather than concealed racism. he was condemning not the people he spoke of, but those who use similar (more PC flavored) arguements.. with Concealed racism.

it wasn't a bit nice. . but it's the SORT of satire that might slide by Chinese censors because it's subtle, and NOT get him arrested for disturbing the social order..

yes you're angry, that's the POINT of it, to make you angry.. but NOT to make the chinese GOVERNMENT angry.. and one can't guess how well it works unless one knows the authors eventual fate.

Look under the words. Hear the TONE.. who is he? why is he saying THAT thing? he's not condemning anyone but the ones he mocks..by satirically imitating.

parang yan din dating sakin
pero ewan ko din ......pang eat bulaga lang humor ko

atmarcella
04-01-2009, 00:37
racism?

did he say the chinese are better than us physically, mentally etc.?

or was he just stating a fact?

masakit diba?

but isnt it true that many.... not all... but many... filipinos... go abroad for work that is lower than their qualification?

racism?

or hard fact?

Punisher_nbi45
04-01-2009, 00:59
somebody should tell that guy to go ****** himself.....

GAGO pala siya!!!!

Walther PPK
04-01-2009, 06:27
This is not the first time he wrote something like that...

http://simpliving.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-cheap-chow-chip-tsao-turned-into.html

It is true that he got blacklisted?

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1916/gen7hires.jpg

Picture taken at PinoyPC.net

De Angelo
04-01-2009, 06:56
racism?

did he say the chinese are better than us physically, mentally etc.?

or was he just stating a fact?

masakit diba?

but isnt it true that many.... not all... but many... filipinos... go abroad for work that is lower than their qualification?

racism?

or hard fact?

Labeling an entire nation (Pilipinas) as nation of servants and calling themselves (Chinese people) as masters..

Well what do you think..hard fact?

If this is Fact then speak for yourself...They certainly are not and will ever be my master or any other race for that matter..

atmarcella
04-02-2009, 00:12
labeling the PI as a nation of servants means many... many... pinoys go abroad to work as domestic helpers. calling himself the master means he is the master of his servant, but then not all pinoys are his servant.

you see, what is happening here is someone is just rubbing salt over an open pestering wound... our wound... and when that happens we cry ouch!

which is just natural. what we do after that is what is important.

do we just yell "lets kill that person"?

or do we ask ourselves "paano ko kaya mapa galing ang sugat na ito"?

PMMA97
04-02-2009, 03:32
This guy is pushing his limits.
Beijing might consider his article an attack on their own government policies regarding the Spratlys. I have seen how police respond to their common criminals. Batuta lang ang gamit ng pulis dun pero takot ang populace. Even mayors and high ranking officials of major cities get hanged without due process.
Our government should submit a formal grievance and the let Beijing handle this guy. Baka nakakalimutan nya na Komunista ang China.