Which PC Backup software? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which PC Backup software?

CheesyD
03-29-2009, 21:37
After going through a recent HD crash and a drawn out, painful recovery, I want to get PC backup software. I'm looking for something that will allow me to burn a disaster recovery image on bootable CDs. I looked at the Migo PC Backup 10 but read some awful reviews about Migo.

Rummaging through the house trying to locate CDs from the various software I have installed is a pain, not to mention my XP CD was SP 1A so I had to go through all the updates to get it back up to SP3.

Surely there must be something out there that will let me create a bootable image that would contain all I need to completely recover my PC.

I briefly looked at Mozy but I don't see how that helps you recover from a disaster, other than being to reload your documents and photos once you have your system back up and running.

Thanks in advance.

BigSexy
03-30-2009, 09:03
I haven't used it since I was a desktop admin, but ghost works fairly slick to completely restore a box.

If you lose your windows install, it's the perfect time to go with Linux!

MavsX
03-30-2009, 10:05
i realize you want a program to image your computer..But if you are thinking about instead switching to a program/company that backs up all your data..then check out carbonite.com

they will backup anything you want. unlimited GBs. $54.00 a YEAR!

Genius

Detectorist
03-30-2009, 10:11
Acronis True Image works great!

CheesyD
03-30-2009, 10:19
i realize you want a program to image your computer..But if you are thinking about instead switching to a program/company that backs up all your data..then check out carbonite.com

they will backup anything you want. unlimited GBs. $54.00 a YEAR!

Genius

So what happens when my PC crashes? I won't be able to get to Carbonite.com to reimage my system...

CheesyD
03-30-2009, 17:03
Acronis True Image works great!

I see they have a 15-day trial. I think I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

Sgt. Schultz
03-30-2009, 17:24
I've been using Ghost to create my images for years.

srhoades
03-30-2009, 18:32
I agree, Acronis works great for making/restoring an image. I have it but I just use the standard backup feature where I create a full backup once a week and create differentials in between and have that saved to a seperate drive.

Tennessee Slim
03-30-2009, 23:30
NT Backup is the Rodney Dangerfield of backup apps.

CheesyD, if you have a floppy drive, you can do what you're suggesting with NT Backup and an external hard drive. Just select "All information on this computer" from the "What to back up" page. In addition to backing up your data, it'll also create a bootable floppy that will restore your data from the external HDD.

If you only have 20GB on your PC, that'll take 28 CDs to back up. I don't fancy spending the day burning 28 CDs every time I feel my PC needs another backup (although I guess I go use all the outdated CDs for skeet practice). IMO, backing up to an external HDD is a much more liveable solution.

mickys
03-31-2009, 03:39
Acronis TrueImage 2009 is great. The Boot CD supports just about all external devices and makes backup and restore effortless.

Furant
03-31-2009, 13:06
I've used Ghost and Acronis TrueImage. I liked Acronis better. But I'm cheap.
For my home computers, I use the free and immensely capable Clonezilla (http://clonezilla.org/) for the images and Synctoy for incremental backups.

Clonezilla is really straightforward if you have even a hint of Linux knowledge.

Joey

MavsX
03-31-2009, 16:38
So what happens when my PC crashes? I won't be able to get to Carbonite.com to reimage my system...

nah, you just reload windows..do all the updating/service packs...then reload software...

then download your info off of carbonites servers.

i know that is a lot of work..but seems a lot cheaper than having a dedicated ghost server. at least you are protecting your files!

Kevin108
04-05-2009, 12:19
+1 for Acronis TrueImage. It has been indispensable with my Eee. It has let me setup a variety of operating systems and configurations to find what works best for me, all while letting me restore whatever worked previously within 5 minutes. I have various image files for my Eee stored on my desktop. One of the factory Linux install with my customizations, an XP SP2, XP SP3, Vista, and later today I'll give a customized version of Windows 7 a try.