Going Officer over 30 years old - thoughts? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Going Officer over 30 years old - thoughts?

nymike1
03-30-2009, 08:17
Hi Everyone,

Recently, I have been considering going to OCS in the active army, and wanted your thoughts. I am 32 (33 in the summer), have been on the hunt for new jobs, but have not found anything that gets me excited (and my field is not a good one these days with the crisis). I have wanted to join since I was young, but it never seemed the right time. When I was younger I wanted freedom, to meet girls, and travel all over. I have done that but the army keeps creeping into my mind.

But my fear is about age and how it's perceived. I am 32, but strong, fit and healthy. I am able to run well, backpack, do many push ups, pull ups, and sit ups. Has anyone here had experience in being an older Jr. Officer.

I'd also like to hear from anyone whose been/is an infantry, armor, and engineer officer. Like to know if your expectations matched your experiences.

Thanks,

Mike

nymike1
03-30-2009, 10:48
up...

deadday
03-30-2009, 11:59
Hi Everyone,

Recently, I have been considering going to OCS in the active army, and wanted your thoughts. I am 32 (33 in the summer), have been on the hunt for new jobs, but have not found anything that gets me excited (and my field is not a good one these days with the crisis). I have wanted to join since I was young, but it never seemed the right time. When I was younger I wanted freedom, to meet girls, and travel all over. I have done that but the army keeps creeping into my mind.

But my fear is about age and how it's perceived. I am 32, but strong, fit and healthy. I am able to run well, backpack, do many push ups, pull ups, and sit ups. Has anyone here had experience in being an older Jr. Officer.

I'd also like to hear from anyone whose been/is an infantry, armor, and engineer officer. Like to know if your expectations matched your experiences.

Thanks,

Mike

Do it. :wavey: There are LOTS of 30something junior officers in the Army this day and age...Some came up from the enlisted ranks, some just decided late in life they wanted to serve, some served a decade or two ago, and came back in...

My old neighbor just went through BOLC and she is 35....

nymike1
03-30-2009, 21:57
Thanks,

It's very strong in my mind these days. I wounder how it is to be in combat arms at that age.

deadday
03-31-2009, 08:42
Thanks,

It's very strong in my mind these days. I wounder how it is to be in combat arms at that age.

Well, you probably won't be outrunning your Plt., but as long as you keep up, you're good to go...You'll destroy your body very quickly, knees, ankles, and back are always the most common injuries....I think I'd avoid going Airborne, but older guys have and still do complete the course regularly, so that is going to depend on your body....

In went in at 22, and in four years I had pretty much destroyed destroyed my feet (trench foot), back (shranpel, nerve damage, 2 herniated discs and one that is disintigrating), knees (MCL), and ankles (arthritis) in 4 years, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.....

Paraiso1
04-01-2009, 05:46
If its what you want to do, then do it and enjoy it. Your body will be fine at 32 years old as long as you are strong and in shape.

Being combat arms at 32 years old is no probem at all. Get yourself ready for what you are about to go through, and you will be fine.

nymike1
04-01-2009, 15:11
Thanks for the responses. I never knew anyone who served, so I have little basis to go on, but most seem to be of your mindset, that being a 2nd Lt. in my 30's would not be looked down upon.

I have been training and getting back into shape over the last few months. Seeing if I am up to it. I feel pretty good, trying to match the army PT tests and how well I would do, not to bad. But it's will take alot more for me to be ready to take on the teenagers in basic.

Did being a combat arms officer lead any of you to good careers later in life? For the enlisted, did it make any difference in your futures?

Cobra6
04-06-2009, 16:18
Thanks,

You will be good for a while - I was not commisioned until I was 26 - very late back then - it was only when I got into the mid 40's that the field life in Combat Arms started to hurt (slower, heel spurs, etc.) - a deployment is a young man's game.

Do this now, then pick up an acquistion branch, or maybe something like an FA 57 (M&S) for when you are older (assuming you are going to stick around for 20 +)

With my enlisted time, I have 26 years in - (23 as an officer) - you can take advantage of your NCO experience and make a really good officer that takes care of his people - because you will remember how it was.

Cobra6
04-06-2009, 16:30
Did being a combat arms officer lead any of you to good careers later in life?

For me - it made a big difference - I also had an engineering BS degree - but the confidence and ability to read personalities and deal with people has been invaluable - I also have an MA in SPEC OPS - not your everyday thing, I know.

I think there are a few traits of highly successful people

1. They don't shrink back from the fire (don't run away from the hard problems/jobs)
2. They can work well with people
3. They produce results

You will master these skills well as a leader in a combat arms unit.

nymike1
04-06-2009, 16:42
For me - it made a big difference - I also had an engineering BS degree - but the confidence and ability to read personalities and deal with people has been invaluable - I also have an MA in SPEC OPS - not your everyday thing, I know.

I think there are a few traits of highly successful people

1. They don't shrink back from the fire (don't run away from the hard problems/jobs)
2. They can work well with people
3. They produce results

You will master these skills well as a leader in a combat arms unit.

It's good to hear your input. Thank you. What was your Branch, if I can ask?

SEAX
04-07-2009, 18:11
There's a huge need for people in logistics & supply. Stick with those branches, minimal combat exposure, won't destroy your body and you can really rise to the top.

nymike1
04-15-2009, 16:51
There's a huge need for people in logistics & supply. Stick with those branches, minimal combat exposure, won't destroy your body and you can really rise to the top.

I was looking to do Combat arms - Preferable infantry and then maybe go into another field after 4 years. They have branch detailing, which if you agree to go to a CA branch for the beginning you can go to Intel, or transport afterwords. Not sure how that works - but they give me what they give me I guess.

donpop
04-17-2009, 18:56
Go for it. I received a direct commission as a 2LT IN just prior to my 33rd birthday. I had 12+years as enlisted going from E1 thru E7 and the experience as an NCO was invaluable. I was commissioned on Monday and on Tuesday was a Bde HHD Commander. As soon as I made CPT I was assigned as a Division HHC Commander. The maturity that came with age/experience jump started my officer career. I retired with 33 years total service as a LTC.

Cobra6
04-22-2009, 23:31
It's good to hear your input. Thank you. What was your Branch, if I can ask?

Field Artillery

When I was a FIST guy, I was ALWAYS in the field with the Infantry, Armor, and Artillery

After so much of that, we wanted a family, so I went into the National Guard - worked out good for Artillery, since 70% of it was in the Guard, we got all the latest and greatest stuff when it came out.

I commanded the first HIMARS Regiment fielded in the Guard, then the transformation hit, and a lot of the artillery went away, including my brigade HQ. Now I am the S-3 of an MP Brigade.

CPT_CRUNCH
04-23-2009, 17:21
as stated... you see a lot of 30+ 2LTs. shouldnt be too bad there. as long as you can keep up no one really cares IMO. you'll get asked A LOT if you were prior service!

think about branch selection carefully though.

LOGGIES RULE THE WORLD!!!

NDC187
04-26-2009, 04:46
you will be fine, you will just do pt and push a pen like the rest of the cake eating brass :rofl:

sorry guys. *salute

edit: most my good friends were officers...so no pun ;)

nymike1
04-29-2009, 16:33
Thanks for all the info guys.