11X recruit bound for Fort Benning [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 11X recruit bound for Fort Benning

GroovedG19
03-30-2009, 12:15
Greetings to US Soldiers and Officers.

Two weeks ago on St. Patrick's Day, I got sworn in at MEPS.I take that as a sign of good luck.I couldn't fall asleep the night before at the hotel.My adrenaline got me through the long day of processing.

I scored well (79) on the ASVAB and the only other MOS that held my attention was 18X Special Forces candidate.But if I were to select that, the pressure would have been too high.My heart was set on Infantry and willing to work my way up the ladder.I was so excited and thrilled that I forgot to mention I wanted to goto Jump School.Hopefully I will get to volunteer for Jump School.

In my contract, it said 11C course mandatory.So I guess I'll be trained in Indirect Fire/mortars as well.

I know there are many NCO's and veterans here.Any advice to a new recruit is very welcome.I've been doing push-ups and sit-ups through out the days and nights.Going to the park and running when I can.

Its an honor really.Im the first in my family to be US Army or any branch.

Cperez
03-30-2009, 16:34
congrats !! In addition to your Pt I would say memorize the soldiers creed and your general orders before you ship out..I just made a post last night about my contemplating enlisting as an 11b. Best of luck.

GroovedG19
03-30-2009, 21:10
Thanks cperez.Good luck with your enlistment.

mkmckinley
03-31-2009, 07:01
Thanks for joining, and nice S2K.

GroovedG19
03-31-2009, 09:16
Thank you, sir.

deadday
03-31-2009, 10:51

Two weeks ago on St. Patrick's Day, I got sworn in at MEPS.I take that as a sign of good luck.I couldn't fall asleep the night before at the hotel.My adrenaline got me through the long day of processing.

I scored well (79) on the ASVAB and the only other MOS that held my attention was 18X Special Forces candidate.But if I were to select that, the pressure would have been too high.My heart was set on Infantry and willing to work my way up the ladder.I was so excited and thrilled that I forgot to mention I wanted to goto Jump School.Hopefully I will get to volunteer for Jump School.

In my contract, it said 11C course mandatory.So I guess I'll be trained in Indirect Fire/mortars as well.

I know there are many NCO's and veterans here.Any advice to a new recruit is very welcome.I've been doing push-ups and sit-ups through out the days and nights.Going to the park and running when I can.

Its an honor really.Im the first in my family to be US Army or any branch.

If you have not shipped yet, go to your recruiter and get an Airborne slot in your contract...I believe it is Option 40....

GroovedG19
03-31-2009, 13:09
Will do.Thanks Sergeant.

deadday
03-31-2009, 13:09
Will do.Thanks Sergeant.

<---is retarded....:wavey:

GroovedG19
04-21-2009, 09:11
Shipping out today.Be back to Glocktalk after graduation.Thanks to all Soldiers here for help and advice.

Hooah!

deadday
04-21-2009, 09:42
Shipping out today.Be back to Glocktalk after graduation.Thanks to all Soldiers here for help and advice.

Hooah!

Have fun!

mkmckinley
04-21-2009, 18:06
illegitmi non carborundum (don't let the bastards get you down)

Cobra6
04-22-2009, 23:45

Wear your ear plugs religiously

powderfinger
04-25-2009, 21:40

Hooah!
As a former 11b and Benning grad, I can bet he's enjoying the fire ants as I post this. God,I love SAND HILL!!! Wear the blue cords with pride.

NDC187
04-26-2009, 04:26
As a former 11b and Benning grad, I can bet he's enjoying the fire ants as I post this. God,I love SAND HILL!!! Wear the blue cords with pride.

hah, i will never forget the damn ants. And i got here too late but looks like he will be in mortars and he can forget about sf until long in his career. only my oppinion.

APD
05-05-2009, 09:52
PT is God in the Infantry. You will be judged on your PT score FOREVER!

Shut you piehole and learn what you are taught. As a young private you will be introduced to much info. Go to as many schools as you can when you are young,no matter how trivial they may seem. They will help in laying a great base for being a good NCO in the future. Learn the Ranger Handbook and FM 7-8 cover to cover.

Go to jump school and earn your wings then earn your EIB ASAP!

A grunt is a great warrior, a paratrooper is a demi-god and a Ranger/SF soldier is a true GOD!
Strive to be the best.

Do us proud.

Former 11B3P

GroovedG19
08-19-2009, 18:58
Graduated 14Aug and back home now enjoying a few days leave.Thanks to all here for their words of wisdom.

The Maggy
08-19-2009, 19:50
Welcome back guy, where are you heading to after leave?

ranger88
08-20-2009, 00:21
Congratulations from a former 11H2V. Now get your butt to Airborne School and shoot for Ranger School as an E-4. Never let anyone tell you what you can't do. The Army is a world of opportunity for the willing. Train hard and study your basic skills. Get your EIB even if you end up deployed to Iraq and/or Afghanistan and get your CIB eventually. Excel in everything you do and the sky is the limit. Do PT on your own on top of what your unit requires. The minimum is never the standard that you should strive for. Wear your uniform with pride and know that great soldiers have gone before you to pave the way. And last but not least, remember that it can always suck more. Revel in the suck, it makes for great war stories later! RLTW!!!

Big Time
08-20-2009, 00:25
Good job!

Bren
08-20-2009, 03:53
I'm an 11B and a drill sergeant and, from being a private and seeing a few, here's my advice:

1. BECOME a soldier. Don't be a guy who is "in the Army" and can't wait to get off work and go hang out with the rap/heavy metal/back-on-the-block types you hung around with before basic training. They are not like you (willl be) and you shouldn''t want to try to be like them anymore. Become part of the military culture, don't try to hang on to whatever subculture you were part of as a civilian - you will just fail in both the military and civilian worlds. I don't care what your MOS is, be a soldier who puts the Army first. Make sure all your stuff is squared away and ready to go before you go have a beer; always stay on top of what you need to do and be ready for; don't fall into the trap of "hey I'm away from home and it's time to party." (once you finish OSUT/basic, of course).

2. The more PT hurts, the tougher it's making you. Pain is just a message, it won't kill you. When you feel like you can't go on, just say "this is what it feels like to get stronger and I want to get stronger." I'm 43 and I outrun most of the 20-somethings on the PT test - not because I'm in better shape, but because I've learned that the physical stuff is really 95% mental. Your body can keep going as long as you're conscious, so don't let your mind let you down.

slewfoot
08-20-2009, 04:01
Just about every subject has been covered but one. Tabasco sauce. Don't leave home without it.:eat:

GroovedG19
08-20-2009, 08:25
Welcome back guy, where are you heading to after leave?

Ft. Bragg

APD
08-20-2009, 19:24
Ft. Bragg

Well that at least covers the jump school part.
Now when are you going to RIP?????:cool:

Get Some!

GroovedG19
08-20-2009, 22:00
Well that at least covers the jump school part.
Now when are you going to RIP?????:cool:

Get Some!

We've all heard the saying, "Be careful what you wish for."Things sometimes work out in our favor.I need another miracle though.To get good at running and ruck marching.:faint:

In all honesty, I don't know if I have what it takes to become Ranger.I'm more than happy with Airborne for now.One step at a time.:supergrin:

APD
08-21-2009, 09:07
We've all heard the saying, "Be careful what you wish for."Things sometimes work out in our favor.I need another miracle though.To get good at running and ruck marching.:faint:

In all honesty, I don't know if I have what it takes to become Ranger.I'm more than happy with Airborne for now.One step at a time.:supergrin:

Study the Ranger Handbook and work on your WARN/OP Orders.
If you can follow instructions and NEVER quit then you will stand a good chance of graduating and earning your black and gold tab.

Get to your unit and learn everything you can. Volunteer for EVERY school you can go to and graduate every class. Your goal should be honor grad at everything even if you do not achieve it.
Your training and mettle WILL be tested in combat soon so learn what you can from the pros.

GroovedG19
08-21-2009, 21:38
Study the Ranger Handbook and work on your WARN/OP Orders.
If you can follow instructions and NEVER quit then you will stand a good chance of graduating and earning your black and gold tab.

Get to your unit and learn everything you can. Volunteer for EVERY school you can go to and graduate every class. Your goal should be honor grad at everything even if you do not achieve it.
Your training and mettle WILL be tested in combat soon so learn what you can from the pros.

Roger that.

My flight is in a few hours.Catch you guys later.Farewell for now.

DriBak
09-15-2009, 21:12
Welcome to the club brother
<- ELEVEN BRAVO 88-91 Co C 1/18th INF

GroovedG19
09-20-2009, 12:04
Welcome to the club brother
<- ELEVEN BRAVO 88-91 Co C 1/18th INF

Thank you, DriBak.Feels great to be here!

slewfoot
09-20-2009, 12:50
Stay safe and have fun. What you accomplish in the next couple of years will stay with you for the rest of your life. Make the best of your abilities.

If you always carry your share of the load, no one can ever point a finger at you.

GroovedG19
09-25-2009, 15:16
Thank you for your words of wisdom, slewfoot.

Rob_0811
09-29-2009, 07:20
Keep your ears open, learn lots, talk little.

Welcome to the gunclub. It's a great time.

<-------11B3

GroovedG19
10-05-2009, 17:33
Thanks Rob_0811.

Sapperstang
10-07-2009, 06:57
Congrats. You got a great assignment. Was at Bragg for several years.

GroovedG19
10-25-2009, 13:36
Its been good times here so far.Just sucks without a car.

Shimmy & Shake
10-25-2009, 17:51
Thanks for your service!

Couple of points to consider:

Take a lot of pictures, you'll appreciate them when you're old like me.
Never pass up an opportunity to help another service member.
Commit to excellence.
Pay attention to detail.
Surround yourself with people that can make you laugh, regardless of the situation.
Good luck young soldier, I wish you the best! :cheers:

GroovedG19
11-09-2009, 15:19
Thanks Shimmy.

I'm anxious, excited, nervous, looking forward to, plus a whole lot of other emotions with my upcoming deployment.But I feel good about it all.Time to rock-n-roll.

Thanks again everyone!

APD
11-09-2009, 20:02
Its been good times here so far.Just sucks without a car.

Thats what friends are for.

As for the deployment, fall back on your training and do not let your buddies down.

We all experience fear under fire but what you do in the face of that fear will be what defines your for the rest of your life. Do the right thing, remorse is a hell of a burden to deal with.

GroovedG19
11-17-2009, 15:04
Thats what friends are for.

As for the deployment, fall back on your training and do not let your buddies down.

We all experience fear under fire but what you do in the face of that fear will be what defines your for the rest of your life. Do the right thing, remorse is a hell of a burden to deal with.

Roger that.

Lester R. Britton
11-20-2009, 08:26
As a former member of the 101st Airborne (506th Inf.) and a Pathfinder the best advise I can give you is PAY ATTENTION!!! What you learn in every class is how to stay alive and help your fellow soldier. Thanks for joining and god bless you.

GroovedG19
11-24-2009, 12:10
Roger.Will do.

Big Time
11-24-2009, 13:27
Where are you at now?

GroovedG19
11-24-2009, 21:35
Where are you at now?

Fort Bragg, NC.

Currahee
11-25-2009, 04:16
As a former member of the 101st Airborne (506th Inf.) and a Pathfinder the best advise I can give you is PAY ATTENTION!!! What you learn in every class is how to stay alive and help your fellow soldier. Thanks for joining and god bless you.

Currahee

gsr
12-17-2009, 09:26
If I may offer one more bit of advice to a young soldier, that would be to do proper maintainece on all of your equipment, especially your weapon. Should you be working with a belt fed weapon, be sure to change the barrels as per the TM. I've seen way too many machine guns with one barrel ruined by excessive heat, and the spare barrel in pristine condition.

JJS
05-22-2010, 14:09
I know I'm bumping a old thread but I think this is important if you young men are thinking of a 18X contract.
This is a warning from another site for QP's and TS really doesn't like his site linked so I'll just post his message.These are NOT MY WORDS OF WISDOM but they will save you tons of grief plus I though in this day and age the men who are considering a 18X contract should follow this warning.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking of joining Special Forces?

Want to earn the honor of wearing that Green Beret?

Then do yourself a favor, remove your MySpace.com and Facebook.com web pages.

Donít want to or donít care?

Fine.

But do not expect to ever be selected for any covert or clandestine missions, period. (It ainít going to happen when millions already know your face and name.)

Oh, and those classified counter-terrorist units people whisper about. Forget it, not a snowball's chance in hell of you joining after posting your face and name all over the internet.

You had a web page and now removed it, you might still be able to joinÖbut forget the classified missions or covert unit assignments. Again, it ainít going to happen.

You do understand how Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc use the "archive mode" to save all your information, right?

We doÖand our enemies do, too! http://www.archive.org/index.php

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

Your MySpace.com and Facebook.com web pages will be on the internet for decades to come and youíll continue to wonder, "Why didnít I get selected for some of those classified missions?"

You can bet that every time one of you place your face on a web page and you state you just signed up to be an 18X, some hostile foreign intelligence service just made a file on you.

HOIS = hostile foreign intelligence service http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/new_pubs/jp1_02.pdf (Do a google search on "hostile foreign intelligence service")

You donít have to believe me; youíll know when youíre not selected to go on certain missions or refused to join some units.

OK, youíve been warned and remember, "Life is tough but itís tougher when youíre stupid."

mikeyU
05-22-2010, 22:38
tagged

deadday
05-23-2010, 09:05
I know I'm bumping a old thread but I think this is important if you young men are thinking of a 18X contract.
This is a warning from another site for QP's and TS really doesn't like his site linked so I'll just post his message.These are NOT MY WORDS OF WISDOM but they will save you tons of grief plus I though in this day and age the men who are considering a 18X contract should follow this warning.

Fine.

But do not expect to ever be selected for any covert or clandestine missions, period. (It ainít going to happen when millions already know your face and name.)

Oh, and those classified counter-terrorist units people whisper about. Forget it, not a snowball's chance in hell of you joining after posting your face and name all over the internet.

You had a web page and now removed it, you might still be able to joinÖbut forget the classified missions or covert unit assignments. Again, it ainít going to happen.

You do understand how Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc use the "archive mode" to save all your information, right?

Your MySpace.com and Facebook.com web pages will be on the internet for decades to come and youíll continue to wonder, "Why didnít I get selected for some of those classified missions?"

You can bet that every time one of you place your face on a web page and you state you just signed up to be an 18X, some hostile foreign intelligence service just made a file on you.

HOIS = hostile foreign intelligence service http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/new_pubs/jp1_02.pdf (Do a google search on "hostile foreign intelligence service")

You donít have to believe me; youíll know when youíre not selected to go on certain missions or refused to join some units.

OK, youíve been warned and remember, "Life is tough but itís tougher when youíre stupid."

Uhm...sure....you could do that, or some better advice, keep your facebook and myspace page, and just don't post stupid **** or sensitive ****...

JJS
05-23-2010, 14:15
Uhm...sure....you could do that, or some better advice, keep your facebook and myspace page, and just don't post stupid **** or sensitive ****...

Never mind.

deadday
05-23-2010, 22:04
Never mind.

I know lots of people with VERY sensitive jobs in the .mil and .le world, and a lot of them use facebook to keep up with friends and family....there is nothing wrong with that....the problems start when people post stupid ****...for too many people OPSEC and PERSEC fly out the window when they hop on the interwebz...it is very possible to keep in touch with friends and family while staying safe...

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear in my first post, I was not saying that you were posting stupid ****, my apologies if that is how it came across..

DWARREN123
05-24-2010, 06:29
Congrats!
Keep mouth closed and eyes/ears open.
Been a 11B,C,H,D with Airborne, Drill Sergeant, Air Mobile/Assualt, Recon and a few more.
It is a different life style and not for everyone. As in life, do the best you can and learn from it.

APD
06-02-2010, 18:51
I know lots of people with VERY sensitive jobs in the .mil and .le world, and a lot of them use facebook to keep up with friends and family....there is nothing wrong with that....the problems start when people post stupid ****...for too many people OPSEC and PERSEC fly out the window when they hop on the interwebz...it is very possible to keep in touch with friends and family while staying safe...

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear in my first post, I was not saying that you were posting stupid ****, my apologies if that is how it came across..

I don't do anything fancy in the LE world, just a regular Joe but I use the social networking crapola to keep in touch with family. I used to have work and family/friends all together but I learned the error of my ways. I did not like the worlds mixing, plus my work was starting to be nosy about what their officers were posting on their FB and MySpace accounts.
I deleted everything work related, even deleted mention of anything about where I work. It makes it harder when doing a search. Then I bumped up my security settings as high as they would let me and limited my info.

I would never post anything which would gt me fired but there are plenty of morons who do post things for the CDI factor.:dunno:

Currahee
06-03-2010, 04:14
Our policy for folks with sensitive jobs is that you they can post the name of our company and job title, that is all.

Me personally I treat everything I post on the internet as a matter of public record and don't post anything remotely work related. Where you have to be careful is what friends and family post, because it can be linked to you.

NoyzeeGlocks
06-14-2010, 16:25

Fine.

:rofl: What a joke. Oooooh I have a facebook so I can't get on classified missions!! There are classified jobs...which have classified missions. IF you get into that classified job they make sure your not broadcasting to everyone what your job title is or what you do.

JJS
06-17-2010, 12:15
:rofl: What a joke. Oooooh I have a facebook so I can't get on classified missions!! There are classified jobs...which have classified missions. IF you get into that classified job they make sure your not broadcasting to everyone what your job title is or what you do.

Well if you say so.:upeyes:

Are you a QP?If you were a Professional Soldier you would know its not a joke.My post was not written by me as I stated in my post.It was written by a brother of mine.He is a retired QP,as are many others on his website.Its not a "regular" forum,its a very serious forum and each and every QP on it is vetted.

Can you become a SF soldier with a Facebook or other public networking account?Yes.But you post your picture and or to much info about you or your family for YOUR safety you will never be selected for any classified missions.The enemy builds files from these sites and that is 100% fact.

NoyzeeGlocks
06-17-2010, 14:47
I think we are agreeing on some things but your going a bit over board. Yes you can have a facebook, yes you can have pictures of yourself and wife and whatever on facebook. No you can't have your job title, pics of you doing your job, or anything related to your job on it because you have a classified job.

The whole classified missions thing. As I said before classified jobs have classified missions, you are briefed when you get to your 'duty station' about stuff like this. Your not going to be in country and left on a FOB before a mission because your damn facebook. If they find out your giving out too much information it will be taken care of, and you may or may not be in the same position you were before. If you have a job that has a clearance it's pretty self explanatory what you can and cannot do: Tell no one what your job is or what you do. The same applies to social networking. You can have pictures of yourself at a BBQ, but absolutely nothing relating to your job whether it be picture or text.

JJS
06-19-2010, 08:42
I think we are agreeing on some things but your going a bit over board. Yes you can have a facebook, yes you can have pictures of yourself and wife and whatever on facebook. No you can't have your job title, pics of you doing your job, or anything related to your job on it because you have a classified job.

The whole classified missions thing. As I said before classified jobs have classified missions, you are briefed when you get to your 'duty station' about stuff like this. Your not going to be in country and left on a FOB before a mission because your damn facebook. If they find out your giving out too much information it will be taken care of, and you may or may not be in the same position you were before. If you have a job that has a clearance it's pretty self explanatory what you can and cannot do: Tell no one what your job is or what you do. The same applies to social networking. You can have pictures of yourself at a BBQ, but absolutely nothing relating to your job whether it be picture or text.

Well we will have to agree to disagree.

My time in the military was 1964-1974 so its a little dated.I am current on many issues in the SF world though.I'm just going by word of mouth from current QP's.

Thank you for your service!

the iceman
06-22-2010, 23:45
OP...have you pinned an EIB or a CIB on your chest yet?

GroovedG19
06-25-2010, 05:15
OP...have you pinned an EIB or a CIB on your chest yet?

I have earned my CIB already yes.But I'm still down range so its not on my uniform.EIB testing will be conducted after we come home.

the iceman
06-27-2010, 12:44
I have earned my CIB already yes.But I'm still down range so its not on my uniform.EIB testing will be conducted after we come home.

Awesome! Good for you!

Once I earned my CIB, I never wore the EIB but it was still nice to have.

NoyzeeGlocks
06-28-2010, 01:44
Well we will have to agree to disagree.

My time in the military was 1964-1974 so its a little dated.I am current on many issues in the SF world though.I'm just going by word of mouth from current QP's.

Thank you for your service!

Fair enough! Different units operate differently and I can't speak for them all. :beer:

PS, One of my friends has a little brother is in Basic Training. He is allowed to use his cell phone at certain times on Sundays. Their getting soft...

JJS
07-03-2010, 15:26
Fair enough! Different units operate differently and I can't speak for them all. :beer:

PS, One of my friends has a little brother is in Basic Training. He is allowed to use his cell phone at certain times on Sundays. Their getting soft...

No doubt they are getting soft.

Back in 1964 I snickered once to a E-7 in basic who was about 7" shorter and 75# lighter then me but he promptly commenced to kicking my ass.Ahh the good ole' days.

:beer: