New PM9 Problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New PM9 Problems

drew4691
03-30-2009, 20:07
Bought a new PM9 sat at the gun show. Was excited about breaking it in and making it my carry gun.

2nd magazine into breaking it in, the gun failed to eject, had to drop the magazine, pull the slide back, and push the casing out the bottom. That happened about 4 times, and then after round 30, the rest of the 170 rounds shot fine. Was using WWB and PMC. Yes i load by locking the slide back to chamber the rounds, and yes i cleaned it per the instruction manual.

Today i picked up some wolf 9mm FMJ, and figured i would test the reliability after the 200 round break in... More Failure to Eject, about 5 more times, for my box of 50. Same issue, recoil spring stuck between the recoil spring guide and the front of the slide.

Upon inspection, the recoil spring came out the front of the recoil spring guile, and the slide would not not go fully to the rear.

I have some pictures i took with my blackberry, but they are blurry.

So I will call Kahr tomorrow and probably have to send it in. Needless to say, i want to love this pistol, but its not earning my reliable stamp.

creativetownsman
03-31-2009, 08:47
Rush to judgment.

johnsonabq
03-31-2009, 14:28
In my experience these little suckers are "High Strung". Love mine but you have to learn their quirks. Mine has had issues with the slide locking back at the end of a mag. That combined with the fact that you have to drop the slide with the release gives me pause thinking of what that might mean in a gunfight. With FMJ practice ammo I can slingshot the slide to reload but... when I load my carry ammo, Federal HST, I have to drop the slide with the release lever. Won't push the round into the chamber any other way. That means extra time on reloads and also why my G36 is my main carry gun. My PM9 is my "Oh Crap!" gun.

drew4691
03-31-2009, 14:40
Called Kahr, sending it back for them to check out... we will see what happens when i get it back.

mpd563
03-31-2009, 14:55
Called Kahr, sending it back for them to check out... we will see what happens when i get it back.
Looks like you could have just sent the recoil spring and guide rod back and not the whole gun. That sucks.

kubmiester
03-31-2009, 17:33
Give them a chance to change a part or two. When I first got my PM-9 I had some jams, but after a new barrel and recoil spring (and my feed ramp buff job) it never james using the 6 round mags.

mesteve2
03-31-2009, 17:43
they are good about service.
they do a lot of service because of poor quality control. Or just no control.
Not my idea of a good carry gun get a glock. Only if your life depends on the gun.
I am a cop so I carry a glock I need it to work and Glocks work.

mpd563
03-31-2009, 18:49
My PM9 has worked 100% straight from the box and its now at approx 300 rds.

cziv
04-01-2009, 09:18
Mine too!

Reminds me of those Beretta 21a Bobcats - you get a good one or a bad one - but the price of the Kahr PM9 is extremely high for these spotty behaviors that are being reported. IMHO

moonshot
04-01-2009, 17:30
My PM9 has been flawless since round one, but PM's do seem to be hit or miss. That shouldn't be for a firearm this expensive. I wonder if the recoil spring could have been placed on backwards, either at the factory (possible) or at the gun show (more likely).

Let us know what you find out.

ex0dus
04-01-2009, 20:14
Not my idea of a good carry gun get a glock. Only if your life depends on the gun.

/faceplant!

You carry a glock because of politics. Stop drinking the kool-aide!
Thanks for your service to your city and all, but come on.

keepup
04-03-2009, 22:19
I've had similar problems. First, my shot at the root cause: the slide is hanging up on the end of the recoil spring guide when returning to battery. If this is the case, two simple suggestions: field strip the upper and just rotate the recoil spring 90 degrees until you don't have the problem. Second suggestion: make sure the recoil spring guide is not sitting on the second (upper) radiused shelf of the barrel lug. It need to be sitting on the lower shelf when the barrel is oriented in its normal orientation. This lower shelf is the shelf furthest from the barrel. You don't want it on the radiused shelf nearest the barrel. I hope I'm making sense.

drew4691
04-10-2009, 18:17
I got home from work with a note from fedex that i missed a package. I'm going to pick up my PM9 from fedex tomorrow and run 100 rds thru her. Will report findings tomorrow.

jazurell
04-11-2009, 23:59
My PM9 has been flawless with all ammon except Wolf. So I don't use Wolf. Kahr told me Wolff has been a problem. I can live with that.

brookie0907
04-12-2009, 17:25
I have about 700 rounds through my PM9 without a single FTF FTE. I mostly shoot WWB, Blazer, Georgia Arms factory reloads. SD ammo = Winchester and Federal.

drew4691
04-14-2009, 10:15
Got the gun back Saturday, with a note that they found the FTE, replaced the "Magazine Catch Body" part #17, test fired it and it was fine... So, i'm no gunsmith, but if the brass is not ejecting, and the recoil spring is getting caught in the front of the pistol, maybe if they said they replaced the extractor, or feed ramp or something, it would had made more sense to me.... anyway....

Using American Eagle (american made ammo just like kahr said) 4th round into the first magazine, same problem, FTE, recoil spring coming out the front of the pistol. Happened 5 or 6 times, so after about 42 rounds i said screw it, and took it back to the gun shop.

It is back at the gun shop, and the warranty guy is trying to get it replaced. At this point i have lost faith in this particular Kahr, and i want a replacement. (or a refund) We'll see what happens.

here's pic from the range on sat.

johnsonabq
04-14-2009, 10:30
I would not use American Eagle ammo. It jams my Glock when nothing else does. Try Blazer. It always worked in my PM9. Or Winchester or Magtech etc...

cziv
04-14-2009, 10:48
drew4691

That really sucks! I hope you get a new pistol or your money back. I was more than happy to pay the surcharge for using my credit card. Nothing gets a company's attention better than the term "chargeback!"

I like my PM9 and haven't had a hitch with it but compared to a Beretta or an S&W they seem chintzy by comparison and the price tag is crazy high.

I must admit that even w/o problems, I've had a lot of instances of "buyers remorse" with my new Kahr PM9.

Good luck! :wavey:

El Capitan
04-15-2009, 08:07
I'm no expert, but I don't think you could judge any gun with Wolf or even American Eagle.

You might have to, hah 'bite the bullet' and purchase more expensive standard ammo to better isolate the issue.

cziv
04-15-2009, 09:47
With all due respect to both johnsonabq & El Capitan - this is a behind the scenes gripe that I didn't mention in my previous post.

I'll certainly judge a pistol by it's inability to function with a variety of factory made ammo!

drew4691 gets a lousy PM9 and sends it back - it returns messed up and the mfg. tells him what brand/s of ammo to use? For a 9mm that is now retailing in the high $600 range?

That just stinks to me and aggravates my sensibilities about all the hype that was/is buzzing about what an awesome pistol the PM9 is.

I'm not hyping Beretta - but my 92FS eats anything in 9mm and it shoots the black out of the bulls-eye (literally). They didn't send me a notice not to use American Eagle, Wolf etc. I can shoot 5 times reloaded ammo with smoke-stained brass and it doesn't hiccup. What the heck am I missing here?

alnitak
04-15-2009, 15:31
The 92FS is a great pistol ... but it's a "battle" pistol. Tolerances aren't as tight, nor is the package as small. Take a look at the Rohrbaugh. It only shoots Gold Dots well. You have to replace the recoil spring every 100-150 rounds, etc. And it costs $1100!! A small CCW pistol, designed for that purpose only, is not the same as a service or battle pistol. The Beretta will shoot in the mud, under water, etc. I had one and loved it! I also love my PM9 for what it is.

cziv
04-15-2009, 17:30
alnitak - As bitter as the pill is to swallow, your argument is well made and I would tend to agree with it after reading your post.

alnitak
04-15-2009, 21:02
alnitak - As bitter as the pill is to swallow, your argument is well made and I would tend to agree with it after reading your post.

How refreshing it is to hear someone with that kind of attitude on these boards! I think we all sometimes get locked into our own experiences and expectations. I know I often have to step back and reassess my views based on other people's experience.

I also acknowledge your points about the Beretta and the PM9. I've been lucky -- my PM9 has been flawless (knock on wood) since Day 1. I can certainly appreciate the frustrations that others feel when a particular one has to be sent back to get working properly, and I don't blame them in the least for railing against the Kahr. I do think, however, if one sticks with it, you get a nice CCW pistol out of it -- reliable, accurate, concealable, etc. It sure would be nice if Kahr could achieve the sort of out-of-the-box reputation and performance that Beretta has achieved since the 92FS was introduced in the mid-70's. (Of course, they had their own set of problems for a few years with the 92 before the 92FS came out. I think all guns go through growing pains).

Thanks for your contribution to the thread!

El Capitan
04-15-2009, 22:08
With all due respect to both johnsonabq & El Capitan - this is a behind the scenes gripe that I didn't mention in my previous post.

I'll certainly judge a pistol by it's inability to function with a variety of factory made ammo!

I totally agree, that in the end, an expensive little piece like the PM9 should function with more variety of ammo and sooner out of the box.
My G29 also eats anything, flawlessly, and it was/is/always will be my go to gun for that reason.
I think I was more trying to point out that if you are trying to narrow down an issue with a PM9 or any firearm, you really should make sure you're using high-quality factory-new ammo to rule the ammo out of the equation.

GOOFA
04-16-2009, 01:59

Ain't that the truth.

DogRanger
04-16-2009, 03:46
Ain't that the truth.

+1 thats what i did.

drew4691
04-16-2009, 05:04
I totally agree, that in the end, an expensive little piece like the PM9 should function with more variety of ammo and sooner out of the box.
My G29 also eats anything, flawlessly, and it was/is/always will be my go to gun for that reason.
I think I was more trying to point out that if you are trying to narrow down an issue with a PM9 or any firearm, you really should make sure you're using high-quality factory-new ammo to rule the ammo out of the equation.

I agree. I was just using the Ammo that they told me to use, "Any American-made FMJ case Ammo should work fine" I've tried Blazer, American Eagle, and WWB just to name a few. All with same results.

And, like you, my g27 has shot anything and everything without a hiccup :)

alnitak
04-16-2009, 08:19
My PM9 has shot everything I've put through it, flawlessly, including UMC, WWB, Blazer, HST, Gold Dots, AE, and some old, non-descript military ball ammo. Even Berry's reloads. The only exception is that every now and then with UMC, I will have a fail to fire, even though the primer shows a hit. A second try fires successfully. I blame this on the ammo, not the PM9.

Don't generalize one person's problem to all PM9s.

Linux3
04-16-2009, 12:29
My PM9 has shot everything I've put through it. The only exception is that every now and then with UMC, I will have a fail to fire, even though the primer shows a hit. A second trry fires successfully. I blame this on the ammo, not the PM9.
Don't generalize one person's problem to all PM9s.
I agree, I have some problems with UMC but everything else, except Wolf, works just fine.
Couldn't be happier.

drew4691
04-21-2009, 12:04
I returned my PM9 to the gun shop last saturday, and they JUST sent it off yesturday, so they had my pistol for 10 days before they did anything with it. Getting more frustrated.

ex0dus
04-21-2009, 18:48
I returned my PM9 to the gun shop last saturday, and they JUST sent it off yesturday, so they had my pistol for 10 days before they did anything with it. Getting more frustrated.

Sorry to hear that. Id consider finding a new shop tho.

boarhunter
04-22-2009, 12:27
I well never judge a gun company to fast and give them a chance. as I did with kel tec, and they realy turned into a good gun for the price.$$ But as far as Khar, and there PM9s ect. you could have them! I know this will piss some people here off but im sorry, Khar is just a lotto ticket you get a winner or you dont. And its more that you dont get a good one, in all the posting on this web site and many others. Ive Borrowed a new PM9 and all different clips and rounds and just failed Failed Failed. Most of the time...For 700$ + , the gun should be Great and work right out the box. Ill stick to my glocks sigs and 1911s....and kel tec 380 for the pocket.....:supergrin:

GOOFA
04-22-2009, 13:00
Khar is just a lotto ticket you get a winner or you dont. And its more that you dont get a good one, in all the posting on this web site and many others. Ive Borrowed a new PM9 and all different clips and rounds and just failed Failed Failed. Most of the time...For 700$ + , the gun should be Great and work right out the box. supergrin:

I agree 100%, it's a crap shoot. I have purchased 5 Kahr's over the last 2 years, and after many phone calls and multiple trips to Kahr and EXTREME patience, I finally have one fantastic CW9.

cziv
04-22-2009, 13:02
Hey boarhunter,

I've got a 315 rds fired, broken-in, sweetheart of a PM9. Shoots any ammo so far (about 5 brands tested). Comes with 3, 6rd factory mags and a 7 rd'er. Interested? "Under" $700.

boarhunter
04-22-2009, 15:32
Hey boarhunter,

I've got a 315 rds fired, broken-in, sweetheart of a PM9. Shoots any ammo so far (about 5 brands tested). Comes with 3, 6rd factory mags and a 7 rd'er. Interested? "Under" $700.

Maybe Il buy it for my X wife..:rofl: ...............I think about:supergrin:

Jerry_M23
04-22-2009, 17:47
Please try this at home! Your photo looks like a result that I got when I did a user error ...

This occurred to me when I put the recoil spring on the guide rod backwards. One end of the spring is open ended and the other end curls to a closed ring. The closed ring end should slide over the guide rod first and the open ended end (oddly) should go toward the front of the slide/gun. If not, mine gets caught up like that. Other than that, my PM9 has worked without any issue at all.

Not saying that you did this but you may want to check. Below is a pic if it helps.

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww117/gfgjr100/PM9/PM9Spring.jpg

gpond
04-23-2009, 18:25
The closed ring end should slide over the guide rod first and the open ended end (oddly) should go toward the front of the slide/gun.
I concur, Jerry. It is counter-intuitive as one would think that the closed end should go towards the front. I have checked and rechecked and it is the other way around, just as your photos have shown.

I have had 2 FTF in about 300 rounds. Most of the time she works just fine. Good call on the spring. Worth a check.

Jerry_M23
04-24-2009, 15:33
Bugger, that stinks!

Well, I'd keep sending it back until it was flawless or until they switched it out. No sense in having a gun that you question. It's been back 2 times now, right?

I also think they should fire 200 or 300 rounds through after fixing so you don't have to waste money to shoot 600 to 900 rounds just to establish if it is dependable or not. :brickwall:

cziv
04-24-2009, 16:20
I took my PM9 out today and put another 50 through it - up 365 rds now and it hasn't been cleaned for 100 rounds. I wanted to make it FT-something but it's a beauty, I have to admit that it's a joy to have a good one.

I hope yours comes back replaced and before ammo is completely unavailable! I was lucky enough to have 2 cases: 2000 FMJ rds and some 20 packs of "carry" rounds. I have called every gun store in my area code and except for a box here or there of plinkers, all they have is 20 packs of self defense stuff at >$20 per box.

I still say "chargeback" if it's not replaced and if you used a credit card to buy it. Then you'll get back every penny you spent and buy something else or a new Kahr. Doesn't sound like the gun shop owner you bought it from cares too much about it either after neglecting to send it in for almost 2 weeks.

Just my $.02

mickys
04-24-2009, 17:23
I put 50 rounds (Blazer Brass, WWB and Gold Dot SD) through my newly acquired PM9 with no issues. The previous owner put 50 rounds down the pipe and suggested they were without issue. I'm half way to what I hope is an issueless break-in.

I hope yours gets straightened out this go 'round, Drew.

cziv
04-25-2009, 19:15
Today was nice so I loaded up 3 mags - 19 rounds - bringing me to 384 rds fired without a hitch.

I came inside and decided to fire it again tomorrow before cleaning it.

So, I loaded a 6 rounder and chambered the 1st round with the slide release and bing, cling, bap! Something flew off the pistol and bounced off two walls and hit me on the leg.

I looked down and it that a tiny ring. If you look closely at the picture that drew4691 has posted - the round thing sticking out of the end of his pistol is a ring with threads!

I picked it up and screwed it back on the exposed and threaded rod, as tightly as possible with my fingers and walked outside and fired another 6 rounder into the wood pile.

I came inside and the little ring was worked loose again but not all the way off.

Has anyone heard of this or known of what happened to me today? If I'd been outside I'd have lost the ring and had an inoperable PM9.

Should I: 1) put lock-tite on it and thread it back on 2) lock-tite it and call Kahr for a replacement guide rod 3) just return it and dispute the charge and buy another pistol

I am at the point today and all of the other threads with problems where I'd never trust my life to this gun! Never happen, what nimrod decided to make the end of the guide rod into a two part item with a screwable tip?

Unbelievable!

jazurell
04-25-2009, 19:36
Personally, I'd take it all apart and use some Locktite while waiting for a replacement from Glock. Save the new part for a spare and you're probably guaranteed you never have the problem again.:)
I'd also ask Glock if the Locktite fix is acceptable, but my guess is they would want to sell you a new part and would disallow all warranty claims should your repair fail.

cziv
04-25-2009, 19:56
Uhmm that's a Kahr PM9 jazurell,

Glocks pistols don't break with every third or fouth one that they make!

Thanks though, I'm considering a replacement or my money back and buying a small Glock or Beretta PX Storm in 9mm. I don't pocket carry so why put up with this c**p. I'm on the fence.

jazurell
04-25-2009, 21:25
Sorry about that Glock word, I am guilty of making a mistake. Take me out and beat on me if it makes you feel better.
Do as you please. Sounds like your mind is set in concrete on this issue.
My PM9 has been completely reliable. Mechanical things aren't 100%, no matter what they are. Some are closer than others. And sooner or later you'll have a problem no matter what you have.
Have a M&P that had to go back to S&W for a couple issues. Yea it was painful to send a 2 week old gun back to the manufacturer, but it's been fine since it came back.
Give Kahr a chance to correct a problem. From what you have said, your PM9 works and seems to be reliable. In view of that, a new guide rod is not something to get excited about.

cziv
04-25-2009, 21:41
Just thought you meant what you wrote -gjazurell

I wrote "I'm on the fence" and that's clearly not "set in concrete," about how to handle my problem.

creativetownsman
04-25-2009, 22:39
This is why I've also been 'on the fence' about getting a PM9. Too many posts, too many doubts. I even started a thread re my doubts, but noone's responded. :whistling:

troygwin
04-25-2009, 23:34
I know that you're dealing with the guide rod on a PM9 (not a Glock). I have 2 of them and they've never given me or my wife a problem.

Locktite would be great for this. I just recently purchased a metal guide rod for my Glock 19 (to replace the plastic one) and you are supposed to locktite that screw on the end when you install it. I'm sure the PM9 is the same.

Once it's locktited on it won't come off again unless you take it off. Make sure to use blue locktite if you don't want it to be permanent. It will still hold just fine.

As for your other reference. I don't think Kahr is having a problem with every 3rd or 4th gun they produce (or even just the PM line). All the issues you read about are natural to find on a gun forum (especially a brand specific forum). Think of this as a hospital. Sure, some people come here to browse (or get a check-up) when they're still healthy. But many people come to a forum like this when their gun is sick. They post their problem to solicit help or to complain about it (either reason is fine.)

I have several guns (2 of them are Kahr PM9s). I don't ever come to the Kahr forum and start a post that my gun is doing great today. If everyone came to post about their non-problem guns (Kahrs or any other brand) the forums would be over-run and the problem threads would be far outnumbered.

Lets face it, small Kahr pistols are also less forgiving than some other guns out there. Their niche is small concealable guns. Smaller guns are tighter. They are less forgiving with what ammo you choose to use. Kahrs have tight tolerances (I like that). They are not a battle pistol.

I chose the Kahr PM9 because (when compared to other guns of the same size/weight) they seemed the most reliable. Sure my Glock 19 or Beretta 96, etc, etc, are easier to rack the slide, they will feed any ammo (but technically my PM9s have fed anything I've tried as well). But I can't compare my PM9 to a Glock or Beretta because neither of those companies make a gun to compare it to. They don't have anything that's the same size/weight.

So when you compare apples to apples I think the Kahr PM9 was the best choice (for me at least). You may find you like/want something else more. That's ok. There are lots of choices out there.

cziv
04-25-2009, 23:45
Thanks troygwin, Just griping. One question if I may?

Mine came equipped with the metal guide rod in my PM9. Is there any reason for using the blue Locktite? I doubt I'd ever want to take the circular nut off the end would I?

BTW: The circular nut screws onto the guide rod either way - it has a wider flat side and a side that's beveled slightly inward - which side goes toward the rod - if anyone can field this question please?

cziv
04-26-2009, 11:03
Does anyone have a technical support/warranty contact phone number for Kahr? I'd like to ask them how to best proceed with my guide rod?

Thanks in advance - PM is fine too! :)

ex0dus
04-26-2009, 11:27
Does anyone have a technical support/warranty contact phone number for Kahr? I'd like to ask them how to best proceed with my guide rod?

Thanks in advance - PM is fine too! :)

I guess selling it off as a trouble free gun would just be easier for you than contacting a toll free number?

cziv
04-26-2009, 12:05
ex0dus - you're wasting a lot of bandwidth - playing the "troll" in this thread now and another thread, because I edited my count of rounds fired.

How about doing the forum webmaster a favor and kick your dog or scream at your wife if you even have one, instead of doing large copy and paste jobs and trying to derail threads or answer a question like a normal human being? :rofl:

Jerry_M23
04-26-2009, 12:27
ex0dus,
I don't think that's very cool, let alone putting someone in an unknowing dangerous situation. These aren't range/target guns, they're usually carry guns.

On the Kahr contact info, I worked with Dottie a while back on some general MK9 questions. She was very nice but I'm not sure if she's still there. Here's her signature and worst case the website's Tech support is also pasted below.

Regards,
Dottie Herold
Customer Care Manager
Kahr Arms
130 Goddard Memorial Drive
Worcester, MA 01603
Phone: 508-795-3919, Ext.331
Email: dherold@saeilo.com

Service Mailing Address:
130 Goddard Memorial Dr.
Worcester, MA 01603
Attn: Service Dept.
TEL: 508-795-3919 | FAX: 508-795-7046
service@kahr.com

cziv
04-26-2009, 13:06
Thanks Jerry_M23 - just what I was looking for!

geckocavemen
04-26-2009, 15:04
cziv,

I think what ex0dus was getting at is that in another thread you have offered your pm9 for sale to another member who is on the fence about buying one. In that thread you specifically stated that "I've got a 360 rds fired, broken-in, sweetheart of a PM9". I don't think offering your pm9 for sale without mentioning the problem it has is the right thing to do to another member, particularly after you state that it is a "sweetheart of a pm9", leading the other member to believe it is problem free, when it isn't.

cziv
04-26-2009, 15:25
I know exactly what ex0dus meant geckocavemen, I can read & don't need an interpreter. The gun is just fine, all lock-tited down, re-fired today and still cranking. The other poster (my "mark") has already exchanged PM's and has read all of this.

FYI, I did send an email and left a voice message with Kahr Arms.

I'm sure they'll say you're good to go or send me another recoil spring assembly - but that's their call! Wanna buy it?

ex0dus
04-26-2009, 20:05
So whats the issue here? You complain how your pm9 isnt reliable, yet a day later you offer it to someone for sale saying "sweetheart of a deal trouble free pm9 etc etc". I simply call the bull**** as i see it sir.

I guess you have never dealt with customer service before? Call Kahr, ask to speak to Sean in customer service. Explain to him that your brand new pm9 has issues. Tell him your kahr is less than a few weeks old. Tell him you expect kahr to pay for shipping back to them for the warranty repairs. OR...... You can take it to your shop you bought it and ask them to send it back in... My FFL has sent guns in for me for repairs at no cost to me.

cziv
04-26-2009, 20:21
At least you said "sir" - thanks! Please re-read the post directly above your unnecessary tirade which addresses my so-called fear of the Service Dept. and my "fix" as well. Then go to page two of this thread and read my offer to boarhunter (before the little ring unscrewed) and try and understand that it was a sweet pistol for sale then and it still is now. ex0dus is "the issue." Go back to troll-ville plz? You're becoming very boring.

Hey boarhunter,

cziv
04-27-2009, 08:10
To update the info posted by Jerry_M23, Dottie is retired and Sean isn't in customer service or support area anymore.

Customer Care
Kahr Arms
130 Goddard Memorial Drive
Worcester, MA 01603
Phone: 508-795-3919

Or:

Service Mailing Address:
130 Goddard Memorial Dr.
Worcester, MA 01603
Attn: Service Dept.
TEL: 508-795-3919 | FAX: 508-795-7046
service@kahr.com (service@kahr.com)

I asked the operator for Dottie and she got "Glen" on the line within 30 seconds. After a brief explanation he said he'd mail a new recoil spring and guide rod assembly out immediately. That's great service!

Thought someone might need this info in the future - I hope not though!

drew4691
04-27-2009, 17:43
Talked to Glen Malo from Kahr today, he said "there is nothing wrong with my gun... They ran 4 mags of different ammo through it and it functioned fine even hollowpoints" Well i never said it malfunctioned shooting hollowpoints..... Anyway...

So they are shipping it back to the gun dealer, and the gun dealer is going to shoot some different rounds through it. SO basically when it screws up again, looks like it will make another trip back to the factory.

JKL:SFSFSFJKFJL:FJ

cziv
04-27-2009, 20:32
drew4691 - Sorry to hear that or maybe I misunderstood. Wasn't your PM9 sent back with the guide rod assembly hanging out of it's front port hole?

Or, does it fall back into place after cleaning and reassembly? That's odd - after viewing your pics - earlier in the thread.

What was your take on Glen? I spoke to him today and he sent me a new recoil spring assembly. I did find it odd that he didn't know there was a detachable, theaded nut on the end. He did mention, that it shouldn't have came off. I also got a call from Ian after Glen already took care of me. I sure can't gripe about their eagerness to assist customers!

Good luck, maybe he corrected something and didn't mention it.

drew4691
04-28-2009, 12:57
cziv-

The recoil guide will be stuck out the front, with the spring wedged in between the guide and the slide itself, so you have to disassemble the weapon, pull the guide and spring out (can be tricky), then assemble it back and it will function... for awhile.

cziv
04-28-2009, 14:05
I just viewed the thumbnail of the guide rod AND spring sticking out of the slide (next to the red ammo box). I'm amazed that they didn't swap out the recoil spring assembly completely.

That's a real head-scratcher drew4691. Almost like the existing guide rod is a bit over spec but that woudn't explain the spring over the top of it either? Good luck - you are a very patient man!

drew4691
04-30-2009, 11:16
Recieved PM9 back today, Kahr said "they test fired different rounds through 4 mags" and nothing is wrong with my weapon. The gun shop also supposedly test fired 4 mags through it.

I want to take it out tonight, or tomorrow. I will post the results, although I am fairly confident it will not perform flawlessly.

drew4691
04-30-2009, 19:07
Got PM9 Back, this is the technical service work sheet that Kahr put with the gun:

*Problem Reported*
Failure to eject, recoile spring coming out of front of the recoil guide 2 mags, this is the second time this gun has been sent in for the same reason, please test fire to fverify problem. Recoil spring does not appear to be sticking out of barrel. customer possibly inserting it incorrectly.

Action Taken:
Test fired 4 magazines (24 rounds, lol). Multiple types of ammo, (hollow point, ball) multiple brands. Federal, spear gold dot. Recoil spring not sticking out of frame as stated by customer. No repair work performed or needed.

I gave it to the gun shop excactly like it was in the picture, the guide and spring were sticking out of the slide. the gun shop told me they sent it in just like it was, but i figure somebody there tore it apart.

Anyway, shot 134 rounds through it tonight with no problems. Used Blazer cheapy ammo, American Eagle, and some NATO Winchester....

Problem Solved?

P.S. Do you think I got anything for waiting for a month before my gun would shoot right? Heck no! Night Sights? A extra mag? A thank you for sending their product in to work right? Cheap Bastids.

cziv
04-30-2009, 19:20
Alright - let's hope it's home to stay!

drew4691
03-21-2010, 08:27
update- Still works flawless. Maybe mine just took longer to break in? Instead of the 200 rd break in period Kahr recommends, maybe it was more like 500?

Any case, a year later and it hasn't misfired yet.

coneracer30
03-21-2010, 14:11
I just shot mine for the first time today without any issues. When I disasembled it yesterday to give it a once over before shooting it, I had an issue reseating the recoil spring and ended up with a situation similar to yours when I tried to rack the slide by hand. After taking it down and reassembling again it was perfect. Broke it in today with over 200 rounds without a single malfunction.

Loosk like the recoil spring assembly is just a little sensitive to how it sits in the gun.