Alarm System Recommendations ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Alarm System Recommendations ?

Nolyn
03-30-2009, 20:41
I'm looking to install a wireless alarm system with GSM dialer and PIR/motion detectors.

There are a lot of brands and systems on the market, and I have no idea of the benefits and drawbacks of the various systems.

I want to have it so that the GSM backup will call me, and a couple of other people/monitoring service. Apparently, some GSM units will send only text messages and emails.

Anyway, prime contender brands are

Ademco / Honeywell
GE Security (GSM email only I think - not good siren connection either)
DSC
Visonic (made in Israel)

Prices are comparable

Trying to get info from the GE website is a nightmare. Visonic have a good site. Not sure if this is a reflection of the quality of the company and/or their products. Not tried the other manufacturer's websites yet.

If anyone can offer opinions on reliability and utility etc I would be grateful.

hkozzzie
04-02-2009, 14:47
I'm looking to install a wireless alarm system with GSM dialer and PIR/motion detectors.

There are a lot of brands and systems on the market, and I have no idea of the benefits and drawbacks of the various systems.

I want to have it so that the GSM backup will call me, and a couple of other people/monitoring service. Apparently, some GSM units will send only text messages and emails.

Anyway, prime contender brands are

Ademco / Honeywell
GE Security (GSM email only I think - not good siren connection either)
DSC
Visonic (made in Israel)

Prices are comparable

Trying to get info from the GE website is a nightmare. Visonic have a good site. Not sure if this is a reflection of the quality of the company and/or their products. Not tried the other manufacturer's websites yet.

If anyone can offer opinions on reliability and utility etc I would be grateful.
Try calling vector security been using them for 4 years my family for 20...

http://www.vectorsecurity.com/02_residential1.htm

manish07
04-04-2009, 22:10
Yes its good information. Thanks for sharing with us.

Nolyn
04-05-2009, 01:41
I think Vector provides a basic monitored system. I want to install my own comprehensive system, and perhaps go with a budget monitoring service.

The Ademco / Honeywell products seem to be of very good quality. Visonic looks OK too.

When it comes to outside strobe ligghts the alarm manufacturers are behind the times, and are still using regular bulbs instead of LEDs. Fortunately LED strobe domes are available from online suppliers, so a little outsourcing will need to be done there.