Question for the GT women [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for the GT women

G30Jack
03-31-2009, 11:38
Some of you may know I'm a firearms trainer in my spare time.

My question is would you be more comfortable in a class led by a woman instructor only, fine with a male only, or would consider a male/female team?

Thanks for your input.

Jack

peddani
03-31-2009, 13:17
I'm 27 and have a fairly well intact ego when it comes to male dominated sports. That said, I would prefer a male instructor, be okay with male + female, and would probably shy away from female only. But then, I'm on this forum so that alone probably separates me from the "average" female shooter.

HTH,
Dani

jtull7
03-31-2009, 14:04
Vicki Farnam, John's lovely and formidable wife, seems to make a tidy living teaching gun/shooting courses to women.

Mrs.Cicero
03-31-2009, 19:47
I don't care as long as they are competent instructors.

Mrs.C

purpledragonlily
03-31-2009, 21:33
Wouldn't matter to me either. In fact my concealed carry class was a male instructor, but his wife is also an instructor and came to help with the shooting qualification portion.

sawgrass
03-31-2009, 21:49
Competence is competence. Confidence is confidence. It doesn't matter, however if qualifications are similar I will give my $ to the female, because she most likely worked harder for the opportunity.

wrencher
03-31-2009, 21:54
I'm with sawgrass, I'll give my money to the woman if I can. Qualifications trumps gender, but with equal quals, the woman wins.

G30Jack
04-01-2009, 06:33
Thanks for the input.

The reason I was asking was someone brought the male vs female thing up in a conversation the other day and I never really thought about it before. It seems that developing or teaming with a good female instructor is not a clear advantage.

I'll just stick to what I'm doing.

Jack

Cat91
04-02-2009, 19:27
Some of you may know I'm a firearms trainer in my spare time.

My question is would you be more comfortable in a class led by a woman instructor only, fine with a male only, or would consider a male/female team?

Thanks for your input.

Jack

I don't care, frankly. All the instructors I've had have been male law enforcement types to date. It is more important to me that he or she have practical experience, i.e. street law enforcement.

Miao, Cat

LadyG23
04-21-2009, 06:35
I would say qualifications over gender.

However, female instructors can answer a lot of CC questions better than a male.

Mrs.Cicero
04-21-2009, 09:08
Addition to my previous post - a helpful addition to the CCW classes I've taken (3 of them, due to interstate moves) would have been a chance to TRY several styles of CC - IWB, OWB, ankle, purse, etc. Just the chance to see which was the best concealment in my usual clothes and the easiest draw would have saved me some money in the long run. I don't know why that's not included in the classes...

Mrs.C

PATRICE
06-13-2009, 08:04

MrsKitty
06-13-2009, 18:04
Addition to my previous post - a helpful addition to the CCW classes I've taken (3 of them, due to interstate moves) would have been a chance to TRY several styles of CC - IWB, OWB, ankle, purse, etc. Just the chance to see which was the best concealment in my usual clothes and the easiest draw would have saved me some money in the long run. I don't know why that's not included in the classes...

Mrs.C

That would be ideal!

Velocity Girl
06-15-2009, 11:18
I agree with the "qualifications trump gender".

But I do agree that a man can't really answer the "how do I conceal when I'm wearing XYZ" as well....but my primary goal of a class is to learn to protect myself, not conceal my weapon.

I also feel that real-life experience would definitely sway my decision. Although I don't wish anyone to be in a situation to have to use their weapon, there is something to be said for the "been there, done that" aspect of it.

I've taken the Basic Defensive Pistol class from Personal Tactics here in GA and the cheif instructor Robert Wilson is great!!! He has a ton of field experience and his passion for wanting to teach others to protect themselves is very evident. He's tough, but that's what makes him good because he wants to make sure you get it right!

Foxterriermom
06-19-2009, 20:46
As long as the male isn't condescending to women, then I am fine with either men or women instructors. Agree with the qualification statements.

Bogieb
06-21-2009, 14:24
My intro class was with a female instructor and a male "helper" (who happened to be her husband), both of which had many decades of experience teaching both civilians and law enforcement. This worked out well for the entire class.

I would have been fine with any of the combos presented, as I figure the instructor knows that I know nothing - otherwise I wouldn't be taking an intro class.

kentuckysptpr
06-21-2009, 21:28
Gender doesn't matter to me. I have had men and women instructors, good and bad of both. I am always impressed with a female who has the confidence to teach any subject that is usually taught by men. Especially if she knows what she's talking about.