Ububtu/SATA DVDROM/Busy Box madness. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ububtu/SATA DVDROM/Busy Box madness.

syntaxerrorsix
03-31-2009, 18:07
I've recently pieced together a new system and thought I was finished. The last item needed was a SATA DVD/RW as my only IDE slot was occupied by my original HD and no other IDE slots are available.

FE 8200 MB AMD64 dual core with an IDE HD and a preexisting Intrepid install.

As soon as I plug in the sata dvdrom I get dropped to busy box with an error message saying OS rootcheck time may not have been enough or it couldn't find the correct boot parameters what have you.

To add to the problem I cannot for the life of me enter BIOS. The splash screen shows TAB to view and DEL to run setup.

When tab is pushed it says press F1 for setup (which doesn't work either) and then grub takes over and starts the load up splash. This all apparently has to be in conjunction with me holding a button down on the MB. I have held down ALL of these keys and cannot even get a stuck key error. Ctrl-s to pause post? Nope. Un-plug HD? Nope. Head hurts? Yep.

I have read the other posts on the Ubuntu Forums regarding this however the majority of users encountered this while INSTALLING their distro. No joy. Any ideas?

IndyGunFreak
03-31-2009, 18:39
I've recently pieced together a new system and thought I was finished. The last item needed was a SATA DVD/RW as my only IDE slot was occupied by my original HD and no other IDE slots are available.

FE 8200 MB AMD64 dual core with an IDE HD and a preexisting Intrepid install.

As soon as I plug in the sata dvdrom I get dropped to busy box with an error message saying OS rootcheck time may not have been enough or it couldn't find the correct boot parameters what have you.

To add to the problem I cannot for the life of me enter BIOS. The splash screen shows TAB to view and DEL to run setup.

When tab is pushed it says press F1 for setup (which doesn't work either) and then grub takes over and starts the load up splash. This all apparently has to be in conjunction with me holding a button down on the MB. I have held down ALL of these keys and cannot even get a stuck key error. Ctrl-s to pause post? Nope. Un-plug HD? Nope. Head hurts? Yep.

I have read the other posts on the Ubuntu Forums regarding this however the majority of users encountered this while INSTALLING their distro. No joy. Any ideas?

Busybox errors, I've always heard about them, but never saw a solution to them. Do you have an old IDE CD/DVD drive that you can slave onto the hard drive, and run them both off the IDE port? I suspect the issue might be the mixing of IDE and Sata.. I run Sata drives and DVD drives, w/o issue.

IGF

syntaxerrorsix
03-31-2009, 19:37
Busybox errors, I've always heard about them, but never saw a solution to them. Do you have an old IDE CD/DVD drive that you can slave onto the hard drive, and run them both off the IDE port? I suspect the issue might be the mixing of IDE and Sata.. I run Sata drives and DVD drives, w/o issue.

IGF

I'm doing that now with a DVDROM jumpered to cable select and HD master. Thanks, I'll get SOME sleep tonight. :wavey:

I read a post about changing a protocol in grub to state that all drivers were to be treated as IDE but I'm not sure how to implent it or if I can correct it later.

I do know that I have a shiny new SATA DVDROM I can't use (right now.)

Any idea why I'm having no luck entering BIOS?

IndyGunFreak
03-31-2009, 19:55
I'm doing that now with a DVDROM jumpered to cable select and HD master. Thanks, I'll get SOME sleep tonight. :wavey:

I read a post about changing a protocol in grub to state that all drivers were to be treated as IDE but I'm not sure how to implent it or if I can correct it later.

None at all on the BIOS issue... What model motherboard is it? I've never heard about changing grub to treat all devices as IDE, but I'm far from a grub expert.

So when you slave an IDE DVD to the hard drive, it loads fine.. It makes me wonder if you had a SATA hard drive, and SATA Optical, would it work OK. Like I said, I think this issue might be due to mixing IDE and Sata.

kc8ykd
03-31-2009, 20:03

I'm going to guess you're using a USB keyboard. Try a PS/2 or changing the USB port it's plugged into. Some mobo's have issues with USB keyboards during the intial boot.

syntaxerrorsix
03-31-2009, 20:05
None at all on the BIOS issue... What model motherboard is it? I've never heard about changing grub to treat all devices as IDE, but I'm far from a grub expert.

So when you slave an IDE DVD to the hard drive, it loads fine.. It makes me wonder if you had a SATA hard drive, and SATA Optical, would it work OK. Like I said, I think this issue might be due to mixing IDE and Sata.

I'm planing on buying a SATA HD and finding out.

The MB is an XFX GeForce 8200 motherboard.

I'm not sure what I was thinking with the, "FE 8200." Ohwell.

syntaxerrorsix
03-31-2009, 20:10
I'm going to guess you're using a USB keyboard. Try a PS/2 or changing the USB port it's plugged into. Some mobo's have issues with USB keyboards during the intial boot.

I'm using a nice 1982 vintage IBM model M PS/2. Back when keyboards were keyboards and typewriters were scared. :)

kc8ykd
03-31-2009, 20:19
I'm using a nice 1982 vintage IBM model M PS/2. Back when keyboards were keyboards and typewriters were scared. :)

Ah, well then, I'm not really sure what the problem is trying to get into the bios. Maybe it would help to remove all boot devices and try again ? It also could be a slightly corrupted bios image.

syntaxerrorsix
03-31-2009, 20:23
Ah, well then, I'm not really sure what the problem is trying to get into the bios. Maybe it would help to remove all boot devices and try again ? It also could be a slightly corrupted bios image.

Been there already, I just get an immediate message telling me to connect a bootable drive. Not sure how to fix a corrupt BIOS, then again I can't even access mine so...

I

kc8ykd
03-31-2009, 20:27
Been there already, I just get an immediate message telling me to connect a bootable drive. Not sure how to fix a corrupt BIOS, then again I can't even access mine so...

I

Get an OS to boot and download an update from the mfgr. They each have different procedures for the update. Some use windows, others make a boot disk.

IndyGunFreak
03-31-2009, 20:58

Thats a pretty good thought, but it makes me wonder if the PS2 port isn't disabled by default in the BIOS.

Can you try a USB keybaord?

IGF

syntaxerrorsix
04-01-2009, 04:59
Thats a pretty good thought, but it makes me wonder if the PS2 port isn't disabled by default in the BIOS.

Can you try a USB keybaord?

IGF

I get the TAB key to display post.

syntaxerrorsix
04-01-2009, 05:01
Get an OS to boot and download an update from the mfgr. They each have different procedures for the update. Some use windows, others make a boot disk.

I'll look into it.

IndyGunFreak
04-01-2009, 05:13
I get the TAB key to display post.

On my last computer I had, I could use a USB keyboard to get into the BIOS(Del Key), but could not use it to select anything from the Grub menu. It was very weird. it was like the keyboard worked to POST, then was disconnected again until the OS loaded. I ended up just using a PS/2 keyboard, and it worked fine.

IndyGunFreak
04-01-2009, 05:30
I'll look into it.

The problem with BIOS upgrades, unless you absolutely need it for some reason, I don't recommend most people do them. If you do it, and something goes wrong, you now have a pretty worthless motherboard.

syntaxerrorsix
04-01-2009, 15:38
The problem with BIOS upgrades, unless you absolutely need it for some reason, I don't recommend most people do them. If you do it, and something goes wrong, you now have a pretty worthless motherboard.

That's what I'm afraid of.

That's also why I said I'd look into it :)

I picked up the CD that corresponds with the motherboard so I'm going to read the manual (of all things.)

Thanks for the help.

syntaxerrorsix
04-02-2009, 07:08
Absolutely no luck with getting into BIOS. I'm going to look for junk USB keyboard today and try that.

Any idea what would happen if I removed the the internal battery and booted?

IndyGunFreak
04-02-2009, 20:11
Absolutely no luck with getting into BIOS. I'm going to look for junk USB keyboard today and try that.

Any idea what would happen if I removed the the internal battery and booted?

Well, removing the battery would reset the CMOS, not sure it would do much for the BIOS(it might though)..... according to this, it does...

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS

Linux3
04-02-2009, 20:24
I agree with trying a ps2 keyboard but.
What is your MB?
Maybe the problem is that the sata device is being seen before the IDE?
The grub error sounds like it.
Remember, grub uses a device count from physical devices so
root@ghost:~$ cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
# root (hd0,1)
That's first device, first partition.
If Ubuntu decided that your sata dvd was the first device then you got problems.

IndyGunFreak
04-03-2009, 02:09
What is your MB?
# root (hd0,1)
If Ubuntu decided that your sata dvd was the first device then you got problems.

You could be right.. I've always had problems when mixing Sata and IDE. As long as I ran one or the other, it was no problem, and it appeared that helped syntaxerror. Apparently when he slaved his optical through his hard drive, on the only IDE port, it worked.

I'm still not sure why he can't get into the BIOS... might be a bad motherboard.

MavsX
04-03-2009, 06:13
What is your MB?
# root (hd0,1)

my linux knowledge is getting pwned right now

manish07
04-04-2009, 21:53
Linux is the best for your solutions.