Rifle range in Richmond area? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rifle range in Richmond area?

Reswob
03-31-2009, 19:49
Well I just recently learned that the Amelia Wildlife Management Area has public (free!) rifle and shotgun ranges, but that they're only open from Sept. 1 to March 31. I did get a chance to shoot there once before it closed, it was an.. interesting.. facility, but I'm not gonna argue with the price.

So are there any other (preferably outdoor) ranges in the area? The closest rifle range that I know of is the NRA HQ in Fairfax, which is a far hike to go plinking. There's a lot of nothing out this way, seems like a perfect place to stick an outdoor range.

vafish
03-31-2009, 20:31
I'm sure some of the Richmond Glockers will chime in,

But before you get to the NRA range in Fairfax, Fredricksburg Rod and Gun Club is very nice (200 yard rifle range and nice pistol range, it's never been busy when I've been down there.), and there also is an IWLA in Fredricksburg, but I've never been to it.

Reswob
03-31-2009, 20:53
I'm sure some of the Richmond Glockers will chime in,

But before you get to the NRA range in Fairfax, Fredricksburg Rod and Gun Club is very nice (200 yard rifle range and nice pistol range, it's never been busy when I've been down there.), and there also is an IWLA in Fredricksburg, but I've never been to it.
I just looked up their website. $300 to join, plus dues?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm looking to stay a little closer anyway, and on this (west) side of the city.

Olivers_AR
04-01-2009, 03:28
If you into 3 Gun, check out Black Creek outside of Richmond Blackcreek 3 gun matches (http://dominionshootingrange.com/bc3g/). Black Creek is private, but they also hold Appleseed shoots that are open to the public.

I haven't been to Dominion Shooting range, but its also in Richmond area: http://dominionshootingrange.com

vafish
04-01-2009, 08:21
I just looked up their website. $300 to join, plus dues?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm looking to stay a little closer anyway, and on this (west) side of the city.

Pretty reasonable considering the facilities they have. Membership at the NRA Range is $300 per year, if you are an NRA member which costs you an additional $35 per year.

Look at Fairfax Rod and Gun Club. $1,250 initiation fee and $350 per year dues.

Reswob
04-01-2009, 14:30
If you into 3 Gun, check out Black Creek outside of Richmond Blackcreek 3 gun matches (http://dominionshootingrange.com/bc3g/). Black Creek is private, but they also hold Appleseed shoots that are open to the public.

I haven't been to Dominion Shooting range, but its also in Richmond area: http://dominionshootingrange.com
I have heard of Black Creek, and as soon as I have a shotgun I'm looking into doing the 3gun thing at least once. As far as I know they do not have a public range aside from the matches though. Dominion is pistol cal. only.

Pretty reasonable considering the facilities they have. Membership at the NRA Range is $300 per year, if you are an NRA member which costs you an additional $35 per year.

Look at Fairfax Rod and Gun Club. $1,250 initiation fee and $350 per year dues.
If I lived near Fred, and went shooting every day, and ammo was free, I would consider $300. Otherwise, I think those clubs are out of their mind. If I had an extra $300, I'd buy ammo. And, you don't have to be a member of the NRA or the Range to use their facilities.

clarence2005w
04-01-2009, 20:17
I am a member at Black Creek and its a good place to shoot. You don't have to do any competition shooting to belong. The number of members is limited I believe to 1000 but contact K.C. for details.

Olivers_AR
04-01-2009, 22:09
For $300, its like booze, its by the drink or by the bottle. NRA is $14-18 an hour and BRA is $20, the breakeven point is 2x a month. IWLAs the breakeven point is ~1-1.5 times a month after initiation dues (~$100). The beauty of a card is that you can go when you want, its already paid for, and if your there to test a load, you can fire a few rounds and go home, otherwise you tend to spend the whole hour, since you've paid for it. The downside is that you burn up ammo at a faster rate.

Agreed, we all like land that we could use anytime you want, but its certainly more expensive the $300 a year. Even if its your buddies, might cost >$300 a year in beer :whistling:

I have heard of Black Creek, and as soon as I have a shotgun I'm looking into doing the 3gun thing at least once. As far as I know they do not have a public range aside from the matches though. Dominion is pistol cal. only.

If I lived near Fred, and went shooting every day, and ammo was free, I would consider $300. Otherwise, I think those clubs are out of their mind. If I had an extra $300, I'd buy ammo. And, you don't have to be a member of the NRA or the Range to use their facilities.

Reswob
04-02-2009, 09:37
For $300, its like booze, its by the drink or by the bottle. NRA is $14-18 an hour and BRA is $20, the breakeven point is 2x a month. IWLAs the breakeven point is ~1-1.5 times a month after initiation dues (~$100). The beauty of a card is that you can go when you want, its already paid for, and if your there to test a load, you can fire a few rounds and go home, otherwise you tend to spend the whole hour, since you've paid for it. The downside is that you burn up ammo at a faster rate.

Agreed, we all like land that we could use anytime you want, but its certainly more expensive the $300 a year. Even if its your buddies, might cost >$300 a year in beer :whistling:
I don't get the chance to go the range (especially if it's an hour and a half away) anywhere near often enough to make up for $300/yr.

Messer
04-02-2009, 10:07
Not exactly Richmond, but Rivanna Rifle & Pistol Club (RRPC (http://www.rrpc.org)) is just off Rt. 64 in Charlottesville.

A one time membership application fee of $50.00, dues are $100.00/year and you must be a member of the NRA (as little as $10.00/year). We have a indoor pistol range, skeet & trap fields, 100yd rifle range, plinking range, etc..

Not a bad deal if you ask me. :supergrin:

Reswob
04-02-2009, 19:28
Damn. It's starting to look like I need to go buy some land and open a public range. WTF is with all the *******ed overpriced private clubs.

Messer
04-03-2009, 07:49
Damn. It's starting to look like I need to go buy some land and open a public range. WTF is with all the *******ed overpriced private clubs.

I know it sounds simple, but let's look at that idea...

You'll need a large chunk of land - for a outdoor range, I'd say 100 acres (or more) both for safety and to be sure you have enough buffer space so people don't build on your borders and complain to have you shut down. (and don't forget the taxes on this land - along with the counties Okey-Dokey on this project)

You'll need to do *some* development of the land - from the simple built up berms to buildings with toilets, roads, fences, gates, security, etc...

Insurance - and lots of it!

You're going to have someone run it, right? Have to figure in salaries and such, because you have to pay them, even when nobody shows up to shoot.

Indoor ranges need less space, and are cheaper to insure - but you still need the county to be on board with the plan, and the building/range costs are very high.

So - think of the expenses to get it done - and then to maintain it - and then to make enough profit to keep it going. It's just not as simple as it sounds...

Now, going and buying enough land so you can go shoot, on your property when you want to,. That's easier. :supergrin:

(I still think the hundred bucks a year of the club I belong to is a deal.)

Have a good weekend,
Bob S.

VAshooter
04-03-2009, 08:23
Black Creek is $100.00 per year. No initiation or anything else. Last I heard they still had memberships available. They have both rifle and pistol ranges that start at 7 yards and go out to 100 yards.

RussP
04-09-2009, 18:53
Not exactly Richmond, but Rivanna Rifle & Pistol Club (RRPC (http://www.rrpc.org)) is just off Rt. 64 in Charlottesville.

A one time membership application fee of $50.00, dues are $100.00/year and you must be a member of the NRA (as little as $10.00/year). We have a indoor pistol range, skeet & trap fields, 100yd rifle range, plinking range, etc..

Not a bad deal if you ask me. :supergrin:We're moving up your way within a few months. Maybe I should come up and start the process, huh. :supergrin:

Messer
04-10-2009, 06:10
We're moving up your way within a few months. Maybe I should come up and start the process, huh. :supergrin:

I would. :supergrin:

Go here... Join RRPC (http://www.rrpc.org/membership.php)

Fill out the app and send it in, this way it's on file when you come to your first meeting.

If you want to come out and check out the range, drop me a line and we'll go play.

This months meeting was last night, so the next one is May 14th - come on out.

Take care,
Bob S.