Shooting on Private Property [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shooting on Private Property

ShellyFM
03-31-2009, 23:01
I am a female with a natural fear of snakes. If there is one on my property, it's my goal to kill it. I don't want to get into a debate about how snakes should be treated.

My question is simply, what are the laws in Florida and, more specifically, Hillsborough county regarding shooting wild animals (snakes) on private property. I would like to get some shotshells to keep on hand for this purpose, but want to ensure I would not be breaking any laws. I've tried looking up Hillsborough county laws on this but am probably not searching on the correct keywords as I'm not finding anything.

Thanks!

cnutco
04-01-2009, 06:53
Not sure about FL. I will do a search later...

In GA, it is Illegal to kill a non-Poisonus snake.

The real question is... If you are afraid of snakes, then who the hell is going to get close enough to it to determine that it is poisonus or not?

ShellyFM
04-01-2009, 07:40
I've lived in Florida all my life and have never heard of it being illegal to kill snakes. However, I could be wrong.

Growing up, we just always killed them as we were worried/afraid of them getting in the house (some did) or killing our exotic animals and pets.

I currently have to get close enough to them to kill them with a shovel, but would much rather use my gun since it would be more difficult for the snake to dodge than the shovel.

rich52us
04-01-2009, 07:41
There may also be ordinances against discharge of a firearm within certain municipal boundaries you may have to think about.

alwaysshootin
04-01-2009, 07:57
There may also be ordinances against discharge of a firearm within certain municipal boundaries you may have to think about.

Just shoot the snake, and after the law shows up, and makes it a problem, just say, you thought the snake had a gun! :wavey:

Falling Crow
04-01-2009, 09:14
In Arkansas, it is illegal to kill ANY animal that is not in an open hunting season, and there is no hunting season for snakes. However, I would advise you, if you are so afraid of snakes on your property, to use the "3 S" system anytime you see a snake....

Shoot..

Shovel..

Shut up!!!

Texas357
04-01-2009, 15:23
In Arkansas, it is illegal to kill ANY animal that is not in an open hunting season, and there is no hunting season for snakes. However, I would advise you, if you are so afraid of snakes on your property, to use the "3 S" system anytime you see a snake....

Shoot..

Shovel..

Shut up!!!

For snakes, you can use the shovel twice.

No exceptions for non-game, pet animals?

Falling Crow
04-01-2009, 15:26
For snakes, you can use the shovel twice.

No exceptions for non-game, pet animals?

Nope-no exceptions. If they knew how many turtles my friends and I shot off of logs with .22s and sparrows and robins we shot with BB guns when we were kids we would all be UNDER the jail right now...

Ric.45
04-01-2009, 15:56
I'd call the local county sheriff's office and ask them.

Rick

peacefulshotta
04-16-2009, 14:23
Use the "3 S" system anytime you see a snake....

Shoot..

Shovel..

Shut up!!!

I feel you Falling, LMAO!

Mortgage Helper
04-17-2009, 14:57
:rofl:Just shoot the snake, and after the law shows up, and makes it a problem, just say, you thought the snake had a gun! :wavey::rofl: awesome!

EdTracker
04-17-2009, 19:41
Two legged snakes are the real problem in FL.

Seriously though, are you considered in a "city"? County and rural areas are much less restrictive. But without the exact location I can't tell you more.

What is that old saying it is hard to trace a single shot...

Sendarr
04-19-2009, 19:11
I'm in Tampa myself, and lived in lakeland for a long time. The rule here, to my knowledge, is..not ok in city limits, but you can shoot all you want out in the county as long as its not after a certain time of night. because of "noise ordinances"

Usingmyrights
04-19-2009, 21:16
I'm in Tampa myself, and lived in lakeland for a long time. The rule here, to my knowledge, is..not ok in city limits, but you can shoot all you want out in the county as long as its not after a certain time of night. because of "noise ordinances"

Its a good idea to know all of the laws though. Last I heard that in Jax you were OK as long as it was zoned rural even inside the city limits. There's a section of town that has some nice houses, pretty close together like a typical neighborhood and is only a few minutes from one of the main roads yet its zoned rural. Do your homework and you should be fine

jeepmeister
04-22-2009, 10:25
you are good to go as long as there are no local (city/county) ordinances against discharging a firearm on private property. The state statute requires that firearms be discharged in a "safe manner" so basically as long as you're not shooting in a residential neighborhood or at someone else's house, car, etc, you are ok.

Blitzer
04-22-2009, 11:48
I say: Hoe, Hoe, Hoe! :)

jeepmeister
04-22-2009, 12:36
or shovel, shovel, shovel :cool:

i don't think she wants to get that close though

one"Lucky"shot
04-25-2009, 11:33
IIRC it is 100 yards of an ocupied building, you can't shot.
But also know that ONE shot would not get much attention. The natural reaction from people hearing a single shot is "mmmm I wonder what that was". With out a second or string of shots, it is impossible for the average person to tell you anything about location or details of the noise. In fact, it could have been a car back fire.....