One Wireless Router for PC and MAC? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : One Wireless Router for PC and MAC?

seanmac45
04-01-2009, 14:22
Hi;

I was just asked a question from a mixed race couple (PC for him, MAC for her) that I cannot answer.

He has Verizon broadband and uses a Dell PC Windows based. She just bought an Apple laptop. When she stays at his place she wants to be able to log on to the web wirelessly.

Bottom line is; are there any wireless routers that will permit the use of a Windows based PC and an Apple simultaneously? Do they all permit this?

I don't have a clue because I know nothing about Apple computers. I believe they need different type routers.

Thanks for any info,

Sean

noway
04-01-2009, 15:24
Hi;

I was just asked a question from a mixed race couple (PC for him, MAC for her) that I cannot answer.

He has Verizon broadband and uses a Dell PC Windows based. She just bought an Apple laptop. When she stays at his place she wants to be able to log on to the web wirelessly.

Bottom line is; are there any wireless routers that will permit the use of a Windows based PC and an Apple simultaneously? Do they all permit this?

I don't have a clue because I know nothing about Apple computers. I believe they need different type routers.

Thanks for any info,

Sean

the wirless router is not prejudice. It works with either PC or MAC.

seanmac45
04-01-2009, 16:07
thanks very much, I guess I should have known that..........

IndyGunFreak
04-01-2009, 17:14
thanks very much, I guess I should have known that..........

Yeah, just get a reasonably good router.. I doubt most of them have Mac software, so you'll probably have to configure the Mac to connect to the router manually, but it really shouldn't be a problem. I've got Linux and Windows, wired and wireless, on my WRT54G.. No problems

IGF

SevenFifty
04-01-2009, 17:25
Yeah, just get a reasonably good router.. I doubt most of them have Mac software, so you'll probably have to configure the Mac to connect to the router manually, but it really shouldn't be a problem. I've got Linux and Windows, wired and wireless, on my WRT54G.. No problems

IGF

+1 Thats what I use at my office...works perfectly!

seanmac45
04-01-2009, 17:53
Thanks again, everyone.

costanza187
04-03-2009, 04:12
I have a Linksys router... it willl run Mac, Windows, and Linux at the same time.

My parents have a Belkin it will do the same. No worries there, no reason why it shouldn't work.

Funny thing about the routers, when my parents got DSL, I ended up using a Mac to set it up. The only computer they have is a Windows XP, with a wireless card and network card. It was a bit frustrating and confusing to try to set up a wireless connection while wired to the network, having to unplug and then check and see if the wireless was working. So I just plugged in the Mac, and fidgeted with the Windows til the wireless started working. Now I can log into their network wireless with Windows, Mac, or Linux.

MavsX
04-03-2009, 06:07
mixed race couple ? LOL, that is funny dude.

Yeah like IGF said. the routers don't care where the signal is being sent from/to. As long as it is 802.11 b/g/n it will work!

seanmac45
04-03-2009, 07:43
Thanks again all. Still boggles the mind what a great source of info on ANY topic this board has become for me.

manish07
04-04-2009, 21:39
I have a website related to wireless routers and i hope it may give you some help.
http://www.consumersearch.com/wireless-routers

Stompy
04-08-2009, 01:58
The router wil not care what OS is running on the PC's. All it deals with is TCP/IP. Since both computers can access the Internet, they are using IP. (Internet Protocol) So the router will handle both platforms equally well.

JimmyN
04-08-2009, 11:10
Once it comes out of your network adapter and is sent over an ethernet cable or wireless it is in ASCII standard. That is so all systems are compatible and can talk to each other when networking.

It doesn't matter how the OS deals with that internally, all information passes over the networks using the same 256 ASCII characters. So you can plug Mac, Windows, UNIX, and Linux systems into the same router, or over the internet, and they will all be sending and receiving using the same values for each character.