Is my hard drive going bad? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is my hard drive going bad?

southernshooter
04-02-2009, 05:09
On the computer end of the ethernet cable that runs from the cable modem to the computer there is a green light that is on when internet ready. Sometimes the green light goes out and I can't get on the net. I can unplug it and plug it back in and it will usually come back on. Rather annoying in the middle of a movie etc.

steve1988
04-02-2009, 05:15
I highly doubt that you have a hard drive problem. The most likely problem (and the easiest and cheapest to fix, fortunately) is a bad ethernet cable. I would recommend replacing it. After that, things get more complex and a call to a tech support service may be in order. I hope this helps.

Blitzer
04-02-2009, 07:44
Ditto. The PC/CPU is the big box, a hard drive is a part in the big box.

Sgt. Schultz
04-02-2009, 14:02
It could be the cable, your network card or the modem. I'd start with the cable company, check and see if there have been any problems with the Internet in your area. If not you can replace the cable and the cable modem and lastly the NIC.

AmbulanceMonkee
04-03-2009, 03:21
Replace the cable first. If your cable company is anything like mine, it's going to take a week plus to get a tech out. In the interim, if replacing the cable doesn't help, try connecting the PC to the modem with usb, instead of rj45, and see if it works consistently.

southernshooter
04-03-2009, 04:21
Naturally I have tried 5 different cable. It is the light in the computer that is going out.

costanza187
04-03-2009, 04:59
I am not an expert by any means, but to me it sounds like a problem with your network card.

Brently
04-03-2009, 05:36
Go into device manager and try to reload the drivers for the NIC... Otherwise you are gonna have to get a new one... Relatively easy install if you can use a phillips and follow prompts...

MavsX
04-03-2009, 06:05
You can pick up a new network card for cheap man! They are called NIC's (network interface card)

look for PCI network cards. You install them, load drivers from the CD and boom. You use the new network jack on the card, instead of the integrated network jack on the motherboard, which is what you are using now!

Do it. Good Luck.

Sgt. Schultz
04-03-2009, 06:14
Naturally I have tried 5 different cable. It is the light in the computer that is going out.By chance do you have a laptop, or have a friend that has one that you could connect to the cable modem to rule it out as the problem?

You can get a new NIC at Best Buy for under $20

southernshooter
04-03-2009, 16:05
By chance do you have a laptop, or have a friend that has one that you could connect to the cable modem to rule it out as the problem?

You can get a new NIC at Best Buy for under $20

Guess I should have mentioned a new modem was the second thing I tried after different cables. (easy, since they are "free" exchange at twc.)

Sgt. Schultz
04-03-2009, 16:35
Guess I should have mentioned a new modem was the second thing I tried after different cables. (easy, since they are "free" exchange at twc.)Yes that would have been helpful, you've ruled out the cable and the modem so that leaves the NIC or some software issue.

manish07
04-04-2009, 14:19
No, its not problem in your hard drive. check your ram first.

Sgt. Schultz
04-04-2009, 14:39
No, its not problem in your hard drive. check your ram first.?????