The Plains, Va... Whatcha think? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The Plains, Va... Whatcha think?

edcrosbys
04-03-2009, 18:40
We're looking at moving into the state. One of the places is The Plains, VA... I'll be working in Ashuburn, with slightly off hours (6-4).

What are your thoughts and opinions on the area and the drive? I've looked it up online all I can. Google and MS say it'll be around 45 min, which I'm good with...

Anyone know anything about the area? How's hunting around there? The soil decent for gardening? Is there a range in the area? etc..

Love to hear your thoughts!
Thanks.

myglockisa23
04-03-2009, 18:47
Beautful property..... Robert Duvall lives there......

dmccorki
04-04-2009, 13:58
I have lived there. Nice country area, but not much going on in the town. You should be able to get to Ashburn in less than 45 minutes especially if you are starting at 6AM.

Nubbins
04-04-2009, 14:37
I lived just west of the Plains in Marshall VA for 10 years and 6 years ago I almost bought a house in the Plains until my fiance realized her drive to work in Mclane VA could take up to 2 hours some days. I would still like to live out there and like the other post said it is Beautiful and you get more for your money. Your drive could take around 40min or longerhttp://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=the+plains+VA&daddr=ashburn,+VA&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.324283,92.8125&ie=UTF8&ll=38.974357,-77.630768&spn=0.310146,0.725098&z=11 these are mostly back roads and there are a lot of deer, I hit 3 when i lived out there.

Glocktastic
04-04-2009, 20:49
The Plains is situated beautifully. This is wine and horse country. It's a very small town. One gas station, a wine shop, and a couple odds and ends. I don't think there's even a stop light in the town, if I recall.

If you are commuting to Ashburn, I can't imagine your commute would be very bad, since you would be reverse commuting. The only thing is that all the "shortcuts" are all one-lane each way country roads that wind around. Beautiful for a Sunday drive, but not if you are in a hurry. You could take 66 to Rt. 15 North, but I don't know if that'd save you any time. Rt. 15 narrows to one lane and it's maddening.

One nice thing about the Plains is that you are less than an hour's drive from D.C. and closer to the conveniences and amenities of Northern Virginia, but still remain solidly in the country.

A lot of really rich people live in this part of Fauquier County and moreso further to the North, so you will likely encounter a certain ethos of snootiness or uppityness that often accompanies the very wealthy. I have nothing against people with money, but some things you can't help but notice. I mean, one of the closest local attractions is Great Meadow, a few miles south of The Plains, which has polo matches weekly during the summer.

Marshall is your next closest town. A cute town. Much more pedestrian. Southern States is there as are grocery stores and other conveniences. There's plenty of deer around there for the taking, especially further west about 20 miles. A little further and you are in the Shenandoah Valley, which is stunning.

Soil here should be quite good for gardening, as well as for fruit trees.

The nearest range is either NRA headquarters in Fairfax or Clarks Brothers (Out Door only) in Warrenton. There's also Blue Ridge Arsenal is in Chantilly.

I hope this helps. I know the area and Virginia fairly well. If you have any more specific questions, let us know.

Va Vince
04-05-2009, 17:14
We're looking at moving into the state. One of the places is The Plains, VA... I'll be working in Ashuburn, with slightly off hours (6-4).

What are your thoughts and opinions on the area and the drive? I've looked it up online all I can. Google and MS say it'll be around 45 min, which I'm good with...

You will be with traffic which should not be bad in the am. The evening probably will take an hour. Route 15 is a mess and they are putting round-a-bouts in at Gilberts corner. You can take Waterfall rd to 15 and than some back roads off of 15. Not a bad drive.

Anyone know anything about the area? How's hunting around there? The soil decent for gardening? Is there a range in the area? etc..

I live in Orlean (Marshall address)which is about 25 minutes from Plains. There is a great hunt club just up the road in marshall. As for gardening, great soil. Range, there is clark brothers in Opal and a few others. Its going to be a drive to find others that I know of. You can email me if you have any other questions at v_santmyer@yahoo.com (v_santmyer@yahoo.com)
Vince- Fauquier County

Love to hear your thoughts!
Thanks.

Hope this helps

Fungunner
04-05-2009, 19:49
If you're into NFL, you WILL be a Redskins fan, it's the law in Plains. I think the trendy restaurant in The Plains is still owned by Robert Duvall.

The Habit
04-06-2009, 12:41
Definitely a beautiful area. My parents, like Vince, also live in Orlean, not far from The Plains. As others have noted, it's close enough to commute to the Reston/Herndon/Chantilly/Sterling/Ashburn area but yet out far enough that you aren't subjected to the urban sprawl.

zeker2
04-06-2009, 13:58
Quaint, quiet and beautiful - but easy driving distance (non-rush hour of course) to a lot of stuff to do in the Northern Virginia area.

If you are into history there's Civil War sites within easy driving distance: Bull Run (1st and 2nd Manassas if you're a Yankee), Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg, Harpers Ferry, New Market.

There are a couple good gun shops just down the road in Mansassas.

You might want to check into membership in the Isaac Walton League in Centreville - they have a really nice set up for archery, clays, pistol and rifle.

chris in va
04-07-2009, 10:28
Richville. Lots of uppity snobs in my experience. Beautiful area though.

Nubbins
04-07-2009, 16:34

I lived in the area for 10 years and found the people down to earth and quite nice and with small towns everyone kind of knows everyone unlike here in suburbs of Fairfax people don't want to know there neighbors.

22collector
04-21-2009, 19:29
Man I grew up in The Plains and its great. I didn't live in town but had plenty of friends that did. The town has gotten much better in 15 years. Its perfectly placed for commuters. I wouldn't worry about buying there the schools were good when I went there and cant see them going that south the people care, a lot. As for the restaurant it was better before Robert Duvall bought it, but that's just me. It is most definitely the only place I would live in NOVA. Just close enough but far enough out with the hills and mini mountains, I miss it now just talking about it. Good luck with your choice.

gtrcivic
04-22-2009, 08:35
if your hrs are what you stated, you should be fine with commute tops of 1hr depending on weather. Seems like when it rains, people dont know how to drive around here.

Closest to The Plains are the times i went to Gold Cup.....beautiful country out there and rural but still close enough to DC Metro area.

Nubbins
04-22-2009, 18:27
Man I grew up in The Plains and its great. I didn't live in town but had plenty of friends that did. The town has gotten much better in 15 years. Its perfectly placed for commuters. I wouldn't worry about buying there the schools were good when I went there and cant see them going that south the people care, a lot. As for the restaurant it was better before Robert Duvall bought it, but that's just me. It is most definitely the only place I would live in NOVA. Just close enough but far enough out with the hills and mini mountains, I miss it now just talking about it. Good luck with your choice.

I also agree about the restaurant ( The Rail Stop ) But the original owner Keven now runs another place at the livestock auction good down home food (just at a livestock auction):whistling:

22collector
04-24-2009, 21:49
yeah i lived right down the road from Kevin. Hes a great guy and I have eaten at the stockyard a few times since he started up there. I think Fauquier County was a great place to grow up.

Virginia1911
05-03-2009, 17:30

As much as I hate to say it, he's right. I hope you're very well to do financially.