Dekalb County SUCKS [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dekalb County SUCKS

jonm61
04-03-2009, 22:31
I went today to submit my GFL application. Courthouse part goes fine, except that she tells me 2-3 months, when the law says 60 days. I've read that Dekalb takes for ever, despite what the law says, so I was prepared for that. When I questioned it, she tells me it depends on how soon I can get my prints done. I had read on gacarry.org that the PD was open 10-2 for prints. Now it's "call and make an appt." So I call and get VM, which is full. I went over there, since I was only a few miles away. I go in, tell the officer why I'm there & he says "do you have an appt?". When I say no, he says he'll make one for me. Guess when the first available appointment for the 10 minute process of taking my prints is?

APRIL 17TH!!! 2 WEEKS from today. I get the last appt. of the day. He tells me that the time means nothing and that there WILL be a wait. Then he tells me that having an appt. just "puts you on the roster" for the day, so I can show up anytime that day and wait for them to get around to me. But, that also means I can be standing there when they unlock the doors and be the first one in. It's absolutely ridiculous. :steamed:

W4CNG
04-08-2009, 13:17
They are not the only one's with odors. Fulton is almost as bad for time to process. Getting the prints is easy, getting the License back exceeds the time alloted, but they don't care. When you go to renew do it as early as you can so you don't have a lull in carry...
Fortunately the non-functional and non-working Chief of Police has been cut loose. There may be a little glimmer of hope that things will get better, but I'm not betting on it.

cnutco
04-08-2009, 13:23
Kudos for Jackson County! They get you in and out fast!

Sorry for your troubles!

Glockwork Orange
04-11-2009, 17:24
I go in, tell the officer why I'm there & he says "do you have an appt?". When I say no, he says he'll make one for me. Guess when the first available appointment for the 10 minute process of taking my prints is?:

I know that officer personally, as a matter of fact I just interviewed for his position few weeks ago...he's retiring soon...don't blame the department and don't blame him, there's alot going on in that office other than your CCW...just go with the flow, you'll get it soon enough!

82ndVet
04-12-2009, 16:41
I went today to submit my GFL application. Courthouse part goes fine, except that she tells me 2-3 months, when the law says 60 days. I've read that Dekalb takes for ever, despite what the law says, so I was prepared for that. When I questioned it, she tells me it depends on how soon I can get my prints done. I had read on gacarry.org that the PD was open 10-2 for prints. Now it's "call and make an appt." So I call and get VM, which is full. I went over there, since I was only a few miles away. I go in, tell the officer why I'm there & he says "do you have an appt?". When I say no, he says he'll make one for me. Guess when the first available appointment for the 10 minute process of taking my prints is?

APRIL 17TH!!! 2 WEEKS from today. I get the last appt. of the day. He tells me that the time means nothing and that there WILL be a wait. Then he tells me that having an appt. just "puts you on the roster" for the day, so I can show up anytime that day and wait for them to get around to me. But, that also means I can be standing there when they unlock the doors and be the first one in. It's absolutely ridiculous. :steamed:
I'm sorry that you have to deal with a department run by a bunch of crooks.:dunno:

jonm61
04-15-2009, 18:51
I know that officer personally, as a matter of fact I just interviewed for his position few weeks ago...he's retiring soon...don't blame the department and don't blame him, there's alot going on in that office other than your CCW...just go with the flow, you'll get it soon enough!

I don't blame him at all, in fact he was very nice. In fact, I'm grateful to him for telling me that if I get there first, I'll get right in & out and not have to wait all day. I'll be there and in line before they open!

What I don't understand is why something that takes, at most, 10 minutes, requires a 2 week wait.

I've lost count of how many times I've been fingerprinted for jobs or licenses and it's never taken more than 10 minutes.

That, and I am generally dissatisfied with Dekalb County Gov't. They do not make anything easy. When I lived in Cobb, everything was easy.

But, I like Dunwoody, so I'm stuck with Dekalb. :dunno:

Glockwork Orange
04-16-2009, 18:30
Well, hopefully things will be getting better! The new CEO is making MAJOR changes behind the scenes that average Joe Citizen might not be privy to...now that Jones, Bolton, and their whole sycophant crew is out, things are looking brighter on the P.D. side...hopefully, he'll keep the current acting chief and make him the new chief instead of hiring from outside the dept...new chief been DKPD over 20+ years, old school irishman...

jonm61
04-16-2009, 19:29
20+ years, old school irishman...

That screams Chief to me! :cool:

Fingerprints tomorrow. I'll be over this once I have GFL in hand. What's still going to piss me off is that a friend of mine in Cherokee county just applied for his yesterday, got to the courthouse just before 4:00, they do everything right there all at once and he'll have his before I have mine. Guaranteed. That's where part of my frustration lies. Why can't Dekalb just do your fingerprints right there. They aren't THAT busy doing marriage licenses!

That, BTW, was the funniest thing I've ever seen! "Marriage and Pistol Licenses" :rofl:

jonm61
04-18-2009, 11:54
So, went to get fingerprints yesterday. I was the first one there, checked in, told her that the officer told me to get there early so I could get in & out. She tells me they have to take the 9:00 & 9:15 appointments first. Ok, fair enough.

They call the 9:00 appointment at 10:45!

Got there at 8:30 to be first, was there until 11:15 :upeyes:

At least it's finally done and now I just have to wait up to twice as long as allowed by state law to get it...:steamed:

Glenn129
04-19-2009, 10:59
I don't know if they are crooks or not but they are lazy as January syrup, and or stupid. I got my GFL in 2 hours where I live, and they use the same GBI or FBI as my county.

jonm61
05-28-2009, 17:45
Got my GFL today! 56 days from date of application.

Wags_G19
06-09-2009, 20:38
Got my GFL today! 56 days from date of application.

CONGRATS MAN!
Be Safe!

dudel
06-27-2009, 18:14
That's bad. Gilmer county does great. We got ours in 10 days. Pretty good when you consider that they had 100 applications last year; and by May of this year they were over 300. Getting so common, that when I when to the Post Office for the money order, they knew what is was for when I mentioned the amount!

kg4six
07-03-2009, 20:15
It took me 12 minutes at the Haralson County Court House, with the Probate Judge, to fill out the Application and another 15 minutes at the Sheriffs Department to have my Prints taken. Ten days later I had my permit in the mail box. I feel very fortunate for the quick process.

Robert

keltec2000
07-30-2009, 20:49
Rockdale County was quick easy and painless for us. It only took about a month from requesting until it came in the mail.