GoToMyPC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GoToMyPC

Rimmer
04-04-2009, 18:45
Anyone use this?

Rumor is my company may be and I'm curious. A net search results in a lot of advertising rather than user experiences.

TYA

manish07
04-04-2009, 21:21
No, I didn't use this.

Rimmer
04-05-2009, 06:25
:supergrin:

Ok, thanks for the reply anyway.

Just an FYI, this is offered by Citrix to access your "home" PC from another PC or PC device from anywhere.

In my case I will have access to my work PC from my personal desktop and laptop. A work from my house add-on, if you will.

gh0st614
04-05-2009, 11:44
Hey Rimmer Im not sure how well it works, I see it advertised late night on tv so that might be a clue that its not as good as it makes you think.

We use VNC in our office it is easy to install..FREE and uhhh yea its free.

Oribis
04-05-2009, 11:59
Gotomypc works alright, basically it works by sending a screenshot of your work pc to the one your working on, so at times it can appear to stutter. If your ever planning on doing any kind of video watching on it, dont bother cause it will look like your watching a slide show. It has some nice features if you pay for it but if your just looking for remote desktop, VNC or logmein.com are both free alternatives.

Furant
04-05-2009, 12:02
VNC is great as long as your computer has a fixed IP address to the internet or is a DNS client that boradcasts its IP address to a DNS Server (or via the router and port forwarding).

But if you aren't inclined to go through that hassle, I use LogMeIn Free and have for about the last 4 or 5 years and love it. Go To My PC is supposedly very similar to logmein, but I'm not sure if GoToMyPC has a free version or not. Once I found LogMeIn, I haven't needed to look for others.

Joey

Kevin108
04-05-2009, 12:09
There are various ways to accomplish what GoToMyPC does. All of them but one require additional knowledge than what I possess.

I use LogMeIn.com It's almost identical to GoToMyPC except there is a free version with a little less functionality. You log into your account on the web site from the computer you want to be able to control later and install a small program that loads at startup.

Right now I can control my desktop and and my mom's computer from anywhere I can get online. I fix problems for her from 15 miles away all the time.

Glockphobia
04-07-2009, 17:24
if you have windows xp pro, remote desktop will do the same thing

Furant
04-07-2009, 18:34
if you have windows xp pro, remote desktop will do the same thing
It will do the same thing as VNC, but not LogMeIn or GoToMyPC. You would still need to have a fixed IP address to the internet or a DNS client that broadcasts the IP address to a DNS Server.

Tennessee Slim
04-08-2009, 15:04
I signed up for GoToMyPC while I was working in Iraq, mostly to use for firewall piercing. I don't use it much any more but I'm still paying the bill.

Rimmer
04-08-2009, 15:57
Thanks for all the replies.

The software is provided by my Company so it's the pay version, they pay. I wanted a laptop and they sent me the Citrix disk. Seems they'd rather pay a monthly fee for the corporate version than spring for a laptop.

I've since checked around and several are using it in this Company. Don't know but I'd think a Company laptop with VPN would be cheaper in the long run since they use both to access their system.

Pierre!
04-08-2009, 19:51
You could always check out Windows Mesh... It has remote control, folder synchronization... it's in Beta, but works pretty well.

https://www.mesh.com/Welcome/default.aspx

5Gb of data synced across the web... Been good so far, but it is Beta.

Oh yah... Free, kinda like LogMeIn.com