Scanning And TrueCrypt Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scanning And TrueCrypt Question

sks man
04-05-2009, 09:41
If you were going to scan multiple documents and save them in TrueCrypt on a portable USB drive, would you scan/save them as JPEG, TIF, BMP, or PNG files?

Furant
04-05-2009, 12:05
Depends upon the documents. For B&W text, I'd probably use TIFs. For color with images, I'd probably use JPEG (maybe PNG). It would also depend upon how important the documents were and how crisp the scan is an if some degradation from compression would be a big deal or not.

sks man
04-05-2009, 13:45
Thanks jferrante.

What is the difference between JPEG and TIF? My scans would be 95% B+W. Would I be at a disadvantage by making everything JPEG or everything TIF?

I just want to make the files as easy to open as possible on any computer if needed.

Sgt. Schultz
04-05-2009, 14:18
Thanks jferrante.

What is the difference between JPEG and TIF? My scans would be 95% B+W. Would I be at a disadvantage by making everything JPEG or everything TIF?

I just want to make the files as easy to open as possible on any computer if needed.Jpeg's are smaller and use compression, TIFF's are larger and do not use compression so 100% of the data captured during scanning is retained.

JimmyN
04-05-2009, 16:43
TIFF's and BMP's will produce the largest file size since they are not compressed. But they are also sharper because there are no compression artifacts and each pixel retains the original information. Those are best for photo type images that you will want to print, and editing and re-saving doesn't degrade the image.

JPG's and PNG's use compression so the file size will be a fraction of that same image if saved in bmp or tif format. You can also set the degree of compression with a jpg, from 90% compression to no compression at all.

GIF's are also compressed but have a limited color palette as well, usually only 8 bits per pixel. But for B&W images a gif will produce good results with a small file size.

Scan a document in several formats to test. Then look at each and choose the one that gives you a good reproduction, with the smallest file size.

BMP = Bitmap image
TIFF = Tagged Image File Format
JPEG = Joint Photographic Experts Group
PNG = Portable Network Graphics
GIF = Graphic Interchange Format (this was the first compressed format, used by Compuserve, if any of you go back that far. How many remember paying for access by the minute, according to your modem speed?)