Retired military I.D.'s [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Retired military I.D.'s

hhb
04-05-2009, 16:48
Just a reminder for retired career military and retired reservists to get a new I.D. when you turn 65. It comes as a big shock to some that the I.D. has an expiration date on it. On the front, the expiration date is shown as "Indefinate", but on the back there is a date showing the card expires the day before your 65th birthday. Getting it renewed sets in motion the Tricare For Life health care supplement. Retired have to only renew it once, spouses have to do it 3 or 4 times before it becomes permanent.

deadday
04-05-2009, 17:12
Except for those that TDRL, then the ID is good for 5 years....

md2lgyk
04-06-2009, 08:41
Thanks! I actually never noticed the expiration before. But mine expires the last day of the month before my 65th birthday, not the day before.

deadday
04-06-2009, 12:07
Bump in case anyone else needs the info, thanks for posting this HHB!

55D
04-30-2009, 13:40
The ID card doesn't expire, it's good indefinately. The date on the back is the date you are no longer eligible for civilian medical care. I didn't bother to get a new ID card since I'm not eligible for TriCare for Life.

deadday
04-30-2009, 13:52
The ID card doesn't expire, it's good indefinately. The date on the back is the date you are no longer eligible for civilian medical care. I didn't bother to get a new ID card since I'm not eligible for TriCare for Life.

If they don't expire, why can you not use it to get on post after the expiration date on the card? Not only are you denied entrance, the gate personnel are supposed to seize the card. AAFES will also not let you make any purchases if your card is past the expiration date...:dunno:

55D
04-30-2009, 20:04
If they don't expire, why can you not use it to get on post after the expiration date on the card? Not only are you denied entrance, the gate personnel are supposed to seize the card. AAFES will also not let you make any purchases if your card is past the expiration date...:dunno:

Because there is no expiration date on a retired military ID card, which is what the thread is about. The date on the back of the card has nothing to do with it's validity. It only refers to eligibility for civilian medical care. The card is still valid for all other purposes.

deadday
04-30-2009, 21:08
Because there is no expiration date on a retired military ID card, which is what the thread is about. The date on the back of the card has nothing to do with it's validity. It only refers to eligibility for civilian medical care. The card is still valid for all other purposes.

My retired ID has a box marked 'Expiration Date' on the front. DD Form 2, Oct 93.

55D
05-01-2009, 07:45
My retired ID has a box marked 'Expiration Date' on the front. DD Form 2, Oct 93.

So does mine. It says INDEF in that box, for indefinate. It's good until I die. The only expiration date is that of my death, which will be quite a while in the future (I hope!).

I've used the card a dozen times since I turned 65 and have had no problems getting on base or using the exchange and commissary. While the people at the exchange and commissary only look at the front of the card, the guards at the main gate usually look at both sides. The 2008Oct31 date on the back has been no problem.

deadday
05-01-2009, 08:10
So does mine. It says INDEF in that box, for indefinate. It's good until I die. The only expiration date is that of my death, which will be quite a while in the future (I hope!).

I've used the card a dozen times since I turned 65 and have had no problems getting on base or using the exchange and commissary. While the people at the exchange and commissary only look at the front of the card, the guards at the main gate usually look at both sides. The 2008Oct31 date on the back has been no problem.

You get an INDEF card when you hit 65. Until then, your card has an expiration date, I think it's 5 years at a time..The only date on the back of the card is the date that it was issued...

55D
05-01-2009, 08:51
You get an INDEF card when you hit 65. Until then, your card has an expiration date, I think it's 5 years at a time..The only date on the back of the card is the date that it was issued...

My first retired ID card was issued in October 1983 (age 39) and had an INDEF expiration date. My second, and current, card was issued in September 1994 (age 50) and also contains an INDEF expiration date.

My current ID card, DD Form 2 (Retired) Jul 94, has 4 dates on the back. They are my date of birth, date of issue, effective date for civilian medical, and exp date for civilian medical. The expiration date is only for civilian medical care, not the card itself.

deadday
05-01-2009, 09:03
My first retired ID card was issued in October 1983 (age 39) and had an INDEF expiration date. My second, and current, card was issued in September 1994 (age 50) and also contains an INDEF expiration date.

My current ID card, DD Form 2 (Retired) Jul 94, has 4 dates on the back. They are my date of birth, date of issue, effective date for civilian medical, and exp date for civilian medical. The expiration date is only for civilian medical care, not the card itself.

Yes, there are 4...my mistake, had'nt looked in a while.....Ok, looking at the back of mine, I've got DoB, Date of Issue, EFF Date, and Exp. Date.

DoI and EFF date are the same. The EXP date is 5 years beyond that. Maybe mine is different because I was medically retired? They only give me fives years in case I check out? :supergrin:

55D
05-01-2009, 09:32
Yes, there are 4...my mistake, had'nt looked in a while.....Ok, looking at the back of mine, I've got DoB, Date of Issue, EFF Date, and Exp. Date.

DoI and EFF date are the same. The EXP date is 5 years beyond that. Maybe mine is different because I was medically retired? They only give me fives years in case I check out? :supergrin:

I think you hit on the answer. My retirement was for length of service. The military must use different expiration dates for medical retirements.

deadday
05-01-2009, 11:41
I think you hit on the answer. My retirement was for length of service. The military must use different expiration dates for medical retirements.

I hadn't thought of that at first, but I suppose it makes sense...I also noticed that you have a different form revision than I do, mine is Oct. 93, and you said yours was Jul 94....Both DD Form 2 but different editions...I'll have to check a couple of my buddies IDs and see what they have...

hhb
05-03-2009, 14:38

If you are retired military, you are eligible for Tri Care for Life at age 65 when you sign up for medicare. Again, if you are retired, you'll have to get a new ID card then.