Outlook 2007 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2007

RDW
04-06-2009, 18:59
Trying to backup these Outlook files (.PST, .MAB, ETC)., BUT can't FIND WERE VISTA 64 HAS THEM stored. Outlook Backup won't load on my machine.

srhoades
04-06-2009, 19:02
I believe it is %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Sgt. Schultz
04-06-2009, 19:18
To do a complete backup of Outlook 2007 all you need is to copy the outlook.pst and archive.pst while Outlook is CLOSED and then export the following key from your registry …

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook

Right click on the key outlook and select option: Export and save the .reg file to your desired location. You can run the same file while restoring your outlook. This will restore your old outlook profile with all your email accounts settings and rules. You will need to enter your password as Password is not stored into .reg file.

This works in both XP & Vista and is great for moving your Outlook info to a new machine.

RDW
04-06-2009, 19:31
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook

Reg Edit does'nt find this!?

Thanx for the replys.

Sgt. Schultz
04-06-2009, 19:41
Reg Edit does'nt find this!? You can't search for the entire key, you can try searching for "outlook" but you will probably find several.

It very easy to “walk” your way to the key by clicking each part to open the next until you get to the key you need to export ... it's only eight clicks of the mouse.

RDW
04-07-2009, 18:13
You can't search for the entire key, you can try searching for "outlook" but you will probably find several.

It very easy to “walk” your way to the key by clicking each part to open the next until you get to the key you need to export ... it's only eight clicks of the mouse.

Well - I consider myself a "Minor PC Geek", but serching the Registery for Outlook & finding HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook

I came up empty.

Vista 64
Office 2007

Sgt. Schultz
04-07-2009, 18:31
Well - I consider myself a "Minor PC Geek", but serching the Registery for Outlook & finding HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook

I came up empty.

Vista 64
Office 2007I don't know what to tell you, I've used the same backup routine on Windows XP and Vista both x86 and x64 on dozens of computers and with only a couple of exceptions the key locations are always the same. If you search for outlook from the top of the registry you should find several, then open it and see if it contains profiles.

ETA: BTW you do have to have Outlook install and profiles (accounts, rules etc ...) configured before you will find keys to export.

RDW
04-07-2009, 18:41
I don't know what to tell you, I've used the same backup routine on Windows XP and Vista both x86 and x64 on dozens of computers and with only a couple of exceptions the key locations are always the same. If you search for outlook from the top of the registry you should find several, then open it and see if it contains profiles.

ETA: BTW you do have to have Outlook install and profiles (accounts, rules etc ...) configured before you will find keys to export.

Thanx for your input - I'll try again.

ESPIONAGE
04-07-2009, 19:00
if you exported your mail as pst (archive) from one computer with office 2003, can you then after installing office 2007 on another, recreate all your mail? i dont care about settings, etc. just to get mail.

Sgt. Schultz
04-07-2009, 19:10
if you exported your mail as pst (archive) from one computer with office 2003, can you then after installing office 2007 on another, recreate all your mail? i dont care about settings, etc. just to get mail.You don't export the PST, you close Outlook search for and copy the Outlook and Archive PST's and after installing Outlook on the new computer you find and replace them on the new computer.

ESPIONAGE
04-08-2009, 05:21
its not my op. i understand, but im saying i have an archive pst file period. can i just import this archive pst file and get all my mail in office 07 on another comp? no time to try it, otherwise i would have answered my own question.

Sgt. Schultz
04-08-2009, 06:30
its not my op. i understand, but im saying i have an archive pst file period. can i just import this archive pst file and get all my mail in office 07 on another comp? no time to try it, otherwise i would have answered my own question.Yes you can do it that way but it's easier to simply overwrite the existing archive file with a copy of your archive.

Drjones
04-08-2009, 16:35
Why bother trying to find the files?

Why not just use Outlook's "export" function and export to a .pst?

Sgt. Schultz
04-08-2009, 18:08
Why bother trying to find the files?

Why not just use Outlook's "export" function and export to a .pst?Because if you want a complete backup of the PST file Outlook needs to be closed when you copy it.

What is so difficult about searching for *.pst, it takes less then 5 minutes to search for the files on a SLOW machine.

joeroket
04-08-2009, 19:23
One could just use Fabs auto backup. It will backup just about everything for a given user profile.

Drjones
04-08-2009, 21:54
Because if you want a complete backup of the PST file Outlook needs to be closed when you copy it.

Ah, I did not know that.

Thanks!