Help Before I Kill My Computer! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help Before I Kill My Computer!

Powder
04-06-2009, 20:44
Not sure why but all of a sudden I can't use my digital camera or portable harddrive with the computers USB port. Before I would plug it in and get a popup with options to open the device. It would also show up in "My Computer". Now, nothing.

It does show the small icon on the bottom right of the screen which lets you safely remove the device. I just can't open it.

Any ideas.

gh0st614
04-06-2009, 20:46
Sometimes my external will act up, I just unplug it and plug it in again. Maybe try a restart as well.

Powder
04-06-2009, 20:48
Sometimes my external will act up, I just unplug it and plug it in again. Maybe try a restart as well.

Tried that 10 times already.

My computer "sees" it in the "safely remove hardware" tab but nowhere else.

Sgt. Schultz
04-07-2009, 07:28
First be sure that USB support is enabled in the BIOS even if you know you didn't change any settings.

Check the Device manager and confirm that there are no flags listed under USB including one that says "Enhanced".

Next you can try deleting them in device manager and then rebooting to see if that clears it up

Detectorist
04-09-2009, 10:21
Powder, I'm sure you're tried your other USB ports?

Go to Device Manager. Scroll to the bottom where it says 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers'. You will see a bunch of entries that say 'Root Hub'. Starting from the top one, right click on each and then delete. When you're almost done, you might have to navigate with your keyboard since your mouse will not work.

Reboot. The system will automatically reinstall those drivers.

If that doesn't work, let us know which operating sytem you have so I can further assist you.

90% of the time when deleting and reinstalling the root hub doesn't work, your mobo is fried.

MavsX
04-09-2009, 10:33
try a different USB port, like above poster. Sometimes devices just get screwy and the best thing is to try a different USB port..or delete them in device manager!

Viper16
04-09-2009, 12:43
sometimes windows like to put the same volume for two items. if you have a few hard drives and network paths along with cd/dvd roms it may be conflicting.

how many volumes do you have (ie. A:, B:, C:, D:, E:, F:, etc.) ? You may have to change one that is past D: to a letter further down on the alphabet to get let the USB drive register.

Tennessee Slim
04-09-2009, 14:37
try a different USB port, like above poster. Sometimes devices just get screwy and the best thing is to try a different USB port..or delete them in device manager!
+1

If a cold shutdown doesn't set it right, I'd recommend deleting it from device manager and rebooting.

MavsX
04-09-2009, 14:55
i win!