CarlosC's guide to sights and tools [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CarlosC's guide to sights and tools

CarlosC
04-07-2009, 12:53
This post will be in two parts. In the first part, I'll tell you how I adjust my sights and how to use the standard sight adjustment tool. For the second part of this post, I'll show you how to make your own adjustment tools that will beat anything you can buy.

So, you're old-fashioned like me and want to use the old irons on your AK. Not sure how to adjust your sights? No problem, it's actually quite easy. Keep in mind all your zero windage and elevation adjustments will be made using the front sight. That is, your initial settings will be made up front. The only adjustments you'll probably ever have to make after that will be elevation using the rear sight.

As a note, I sight in any new rifle, or any rifle I have replaced the sights on, at 50yds just get get on paper and then in the center of my target. The local range I use has a maximum of 100yds, so that is where I move to after doing my initial 50yd sighting.

So, let's get started. First, understand your sight. All sights have a letter or symbol at the lowest setting. The letter or symbol used will depend on the AK's country of origin. Regardless, that is a battle setting that predicts - and it's a stretch - that with a properly sighted rifle and that setting, you should be able to hit a bad guy at 350meters. Good luck. The rest of the settings are self-explanatory, corresponding to different distances in meters (thank goodness they got away from Arshens).

If you have an AMD-65, AK-47 or an AK-47 hybrid (ie., MAK-90 or SSR-85C2), your sight will be incremented from 100 to 800 meters. If you have an AKM or AK-74, your sight will extend to 1000 meters. Got to hand it to the Ruskies, they were optimistic if nothing else. If you are lucky enough to score some strange AK version, your sights may be something else, like 600 meters.

The rule of thumb is to adjust the front sight to where you bullets are currently hitting as viewed from behind. Remember that. For example, suppose you set your sights on a target at 50yds, dead center. You squeeze off three rounds and find you have a small group high and to the left of where you aimed. The adjustment you should make on your front sight would then be to unscrew the post a little and then drift the drum to the left. The drum is also called a stud or sight block (sight block can be confusing), but I call it a drum.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Sight%20project/DSC00650.jpg

Here is your typical sight tool.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Sight%20project/DSC00651.jpg

In this picture, I am using the tool's screw to adjust elevation. Every 1/4 turn = about one inch at 50 yds.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Sight%20project/DSC00652.jpg

CarlosC
04-07-2009, 12:54
Now, let’s move on to windage adjustments. The c-clamp portion of the tool is used to make adjustments. As you push the drum left or right, it slides into the hole on the opposite side seen below.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Sight%20project/DSC00653.jpg
Install the clamp as seen below and tighten the clamp to get the drum to move to the left. Obviously, it would be set up on the opposite side to move it to the right.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Sight%20project/DSC00654.jpg
In this picture, you can see how the drum moves into the c=clamp’s hole as the clamp is tightened.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Sight%20project/DSC00655.jpg
How much do you move it? Who knows? I have yet to figure out the increments on the front of the sight block and what they mean in relation to the center marker on the drum. I just adjust a little and see the difference. Adjust a little more, and look again, and keep doing that until I’m where I want to be windage wise.

CarlosC
04-07-2009, 12:54
Okay, so you’ve got that down. As I said earlier, most of the tools out there to adjust front sights look like the one I showed above. However, if you have some experience with AKs, you’ll realize they probably used a 10-ton press to install the drums, added super glue, and then painted them for further immobility. I bent my adjustment tool several times on a few sights just trying to get them to budge. Using WECSOG ingenuity, I finally freed a few using different size sockets and a vise. But there had to be a better way, no?
There is. And it’s cheap, but you have to do some work. What you wind up with is two adjustment tools that will defeat ANY stubborn front sight. ANY. Here are my home-made tools compared to the standard AK tool. Beefy, huh?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Sight%20project/DSC00656.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Sight%20project/DSC00657.jpg

CarlosC
04-07-2009, 12:55
How do you make it? Easy, my friends. Along with the parts I listed below, you’ll need a hacksaw, vise, Dremel, taps, and a few drill bits. Here is what one looks like as basic parts.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Sight%20project/DSC00658.jpg
Here are the parts you’ll need (all the bolts are internal wrenching)…
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Sight%20project/DSC00659-1.jpg
What you need to do…
1. Drill out one threaded end of the c-clamp to 1/2" or larger. This is the hole the drum will drift into.
2. Drill a hole through the 3/8-16x2.5” bolt just below the head and then tap it for the -20x2.5 bolts. Install the bolts from both ends. If you want a nice flush look, you’ll have to cut some of the threads off the -20x2.5 bolts so only the shank is showing when installed.
3. Drill a hole in one of the flat sides of the -20ALA and then tap it at -20. Insert the -20x3” bolt into the hole and tighten it.
4. Cut off the head of the bolt. Cut a groove into the remaining nub and then drill a hole in the middle for the sight post to go into.
5. Install the two -20x2.25” bolts on both ends of the -20 ALA and tighten them against the 3” bolt inside. That will keep it from moving as you make elevation adjustments. Same thing applies for the flush look here.

The beauty of this system is that should you break the ears on the elevation tool, who cares? Just go get another bolt and make yourself a new one.

Aceman
04-07-2009, 14:31
You writing a book Carlos? If so, I'm buying it!

DaGroaner
04-07-2009, 15:12

No kidding, me too. How do we go about getting these tremendously informative posts stickied?

Carlos, you are definitely the king of the Kalashnikov Klub. :thumbsup: :yourock:

CarlosC
04-07-2009, 15:25
Thanks guys. I see the same questions coming up fairly often, so I figured I'd do up some posts to answer the most common ones. Enjoy.

uz2bUSMC
04-07-2009, 15:39
Good info Carlos! Thanx.

1985 4Runner
04-07-2009, 16:46
Most Excellent!

Thanks for the effort.

Noodles McGee
04-07-2009, 17:38
Hammer and drift work just as well for windage.

Titurel
04-07-2009, 18:27
Wow, thanks! I was ready to go buy a sight adjusting tool, now I see that I already have the parts to make a better one.

KYJoe
04-07-2009, 18:29
we need to sticky this. thanks carlos

gp35fn
04-07-2009, 19:06
Damn, this crap was new to me-about 25 years ago-this along with the AK bayonet "info". History does repeat itself. What's old is new again.BFI

DJ Niner
04-08-2009, 00:35
Good info, good post, good job! :thumbsup:

Stickied!

DJ Niner
04-08-2009, 00:38
More good stuff:

"CarlosC's guide to bayonets and mounts"
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1033129

(Don't want to get too many threads Stickied; some folks complain)

DJ Niner
04-11-2009, 21:48
The Bad News: I'm going to UnStick this thread.

The Good News: I'm going to add links to all of CarlosC's threads to the "Resources/links for AK owners/users..." thread already Stickied on the main forum page.

Sorry, CarlosC; you're a victim of you're own success. You've started too many good/informative threads to Sticky individually; the forum's whole first page would be nothing but Stickys!

Thanks for your time and efforts on these threads. :thumbsup:

CarlosC
04-11-2009, 22:14
No problem DJ. The goal was always to get some information out to my fellow GT AK enthusiasts.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's kind words and efforts. :cool:

Ronaldo
04-13-2009, 07:48
Carlos, quick question...

I have the use of a short indoor range and want to use it to do some rough sight-in work on a recently assembled AK. I agree that the 50 yd zero method you outlined works fine but I need to do some functional checks and want to get on the paper using the 25 yd range I have at my disposal.

So the question is, in order to hit dead center at 50 yd, where would I sight at 25 yd? My math isn't what it used to be. The old rule of thumb I used in the past was 1 inch high at 25 yd but that may not be optimal on the AK.

What do you suggest??

Ronaldo

Cruiser702
04-13-2009, 09:48
Great info, thanks Carlos ! :)

CarlosC
04-13-2009, 14:44
Carlos, quick question...

I have the use of a short indoor range and want to use it to do some rough sight-in work on a recently assembled AK. I agree that the 50 yd zero method you outlined works fine but I need to do some functional checks and want to get on the paper using the 25 yd range I have at my disposal.

So the question is, in order to hit dead center at 50 yd, where would I sight at 25 yd? My math isn't what it used to be. The old rule of thumb I used in the past was 1 inch high at 25 yd but that may not be optimal on the AK.

What do you suggest??

Ronaldo

I calculate .75 inches low at 25 yards to hit zero at 50.

G23c
04-13-2009, 15:07
Thanks guys. I see the same questions coming up fairly often, so I figured I'd do up some posts to answer the most common ones. Enjoy.

CarlosC, wow, great information (the pix really help), thanks and ... CarlosC for President!

skanless
02-22-2010, 22:36
CarlosC is a world of information on ak's. Thank you sir. :wavey:

Mofeen
02-27-2010, 22:42
Sorry. New to rifles. What is the best way to sight these in? Should I be shooting from a bench with a sandbag? Any recommendations?

glocked-up
03-08-2010, 18:44
No problem DJ. The goal was always to get some information out to my fellow GT AK enthusiasts.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's kind words and efforts. :cool:
Carlos can you explain how the rear sight works on an AK?...I have a Saiga 7.62 and one time my cousin asked how the rear sight worked and I couldn't tell him.....It seems when u lift the rear sight up it blocks the view of the front sight, evidently I'm not using it correctly. School me on the Ak sights and how to use them properly. Thanks

JGguns
03-08-2010, 19:26
Excellent post. What part of sc are you in? I am in greenville and besides the gun clubs (to expensive for me right now) there is only 25 yard ranges. However using your .75 math I should be alright for a good rough site in until I can get to a longer range... Thanks for the info!

CarlosC
03-09-2010, 06:55
Sorry. New to rifles. What is the best way to sight these in? Should I be shooting from a bench with a sandbag? Any recommendations?

I initially sight in at 50 yds, then move to 100 yds. Unfortunately, that the extent of the local Army range, so I am limited to 100 yds. I use a small padded tripod, I believe from RCBS, on the bench for sighting in. Once sighted in, I'll mix between bench and various non-bench positions, but I'll usually shoot off the bench most of the time because I'm looking for accuracy. I use 8.5x11 sheets of paper with either 1" circles or a picture of Bin Laden - aim small, miss small philosophy.

CarlosC
03-09-2010, 06:59
Excellent post. What part of sc are you in? I am in greenville and besides the gun clubs (to expensive for me right now) there is only 25 yard ranges. However using your .75 math I should be alright for a good rough site in until I can get to a longer range... Thanks for the info!

Blythewood, it's just north of Columbia. I shoot at the local Army base, Ft. Jackson. It's close, cheap ($2 or $3 for the day), and they even provide the targets. The downside is the range is only open the 2nd and 4th Saturday of every month, which means I don't get out there very often.

CarlosC
03-09-2010, 07:09
Carlos can you explain how the rear sight works on an AK?...I have a Saiga 7.62 and one time my cousin asked how the rear sight worked and I couldn't tell him.....It seems when u lift the rear sight up it blocks the view of the front sight, evidently I'm not using it correctly. School me on the Ak sights and how to use them properly. Thanks

I can't see your face, so I don't know if you're kidding around, but you don't lift the rear sight on the AK. Your sight picture through the AK is the same as for your G-19...you have a notch in the back sight and a post in the front sight. Fill the rear notch with the front post. Make sure the top of the post is level with the top of the rear sight. Look at your target an suspend it on the post like a lollipop.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Fuzzy_sight_picture.svg/210px-Fuzzy_sight_picture.svg.png

The numbers on the rear sight represent the distance settings. The lowest setting, which is usually a letter or a zero, is a battle setting and is roughly the same as the 300m setting.

glocked-up
03-10-2010, 21:32
I can't see your face, so I don't know if you're kidding around, but you don't lift the rear sight on the AK. Your sight picture through the AK is the same as for your G-19...you have a notch in the back sight and a post in the front sight. Fill the rear notch with the front post. Make sure the top of the post is level with the top of the rear sight. Look at your target an suspend it on the post like a lollipop.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Fuzzy_sight_picture.svg/210px-Fuzzy_sight_picture.svg.png

The numbers on the rear sight represent the distance settings. The lowest setting, which is usually a letter or a zero, is a battle setting and is roughly the same as the 300m setting.

No actually it was a serious question. I unserstand the sight picture. Guess what confused me about AK sights is that the rear sight flips up and down. Figured there was a reason for that. And the numbers on the front of the sight are where they can't be seen by the shooter, and there are little grooves on the left of the rear sight. Again figured there was some usefullnes in those also. So if the AK sights work like any other sight picture and are supposed to be used in the down posistion what's the reason for the numbers, notches and the sight raising up and down?...Wouldn't it be like glock putting notches on the left side of their sights and making them raise up and down and putting the numbers 10, 15 and 20 on the rear sight and those numbers serving no purpose. Or maybe they would and I just wouldn't get it.

CarlosC
03-10-2010, 22:01
No actually it was a serious question. I unserstand the sight picture. Guess what confused me about AK sights is that the rear sight flips up and down. Figured there was a reason for that. And the numbers on the front of the sight are where they can't be seen by the shooter, and there are little grooves on the left of the rear sight. Again figured there was some usefullnes in those also. So if the AK sights work like any other sight picture and are supposed to be used in the down posistion what's the reason for the numbers, notches and the sight raising up and down?...Wouldn't it be like glock putting notches on the left side of their sights and making them raise up and down and putting the numbers 10, 15 and 20 on the rear sight and those numbers serving no purpose. Or maybe they would and I just wouldn't get it.

The rear sight flipping up and down is just a consequence of the design. The little grooves are notches into which the sight slide locks. If you want to set the sight to 500m for example, you squeeze the knurled buttons on the sight slide and move the slide to 500. When you release the buttons, they lock into the grooves.
The rear sight is set up on a ramp. As the sight slide goes up the ramp for increased distances, the sight itself moves up just a hair. Moving the rear sight up means your front post is now lower in your sight picture. To get it back to normal, you'll have to raise the muzzle ever so slightly. In effect, while you now have the same sight picture, your muzzle is aimed higher to get the bullet to travel further.
As for why a pistol would not normally have the numbers has to do with the distances each type of weapon is designed to be used at. Handguns are meant for close distances where there is no need for such fine adjustments. Rifles, on the other hand, reach out to hundreds of meters. When shooting at those distances, it becomes necessary to make adjustments to the point of aim.

glocked-up
03-11-2010, 09:25
The rear sight flipping up and down is just a consequence of the design. The little grooves are notches into which the sight slide locks. If you want to set the sight to 500m for example, you squeeze the knurled buttons on the sight slide and move the slide to 500. When you release the buttons, they lock into the grooves.
The rear sight is set up on a ramp. As the sight slide goes up the ramp for increased distances, the sight itself moves up just a hair. Moving the rear sight up means your front post is now lower in your sight picture. To get it back to normal, you'll have to raise the muzzle ever so slightly. In effect, while you now have the same sight picture, your muzzle is aimed higher to get the bullet to travel further.
As for why a pistol would not normally have the numbers has to do with the distances each type of weapon is designed to be used at. Handguns are meant for close distances where there is no need for such fine adjustments. Rifles, on the other hand, reach out to hundreds of meters. When shooting at those distances, it becomes necessary to make adjustments to the point of aim.
Ahh, now I see said the blind man. I never noticed the sight slide, always just thought it was a part of the rear sight. And never noticed there was a ramp.

After reading your explaination I looked at my AK and pushed the sight slide ends with my fingers then lo and behold it moved! Everything else you said just made sense after that.

Thanks Carlos C now that sight tool will come in handy, since I know how the AK sight system actually works. Wonder if Im the only one that didnt know this, anyways thanks again for the explaination

dinod
03-12-2010, 21:30

+1

count me in

Mofeen
03-21-2010, 12:27
On my Arsenal/Saiga SGl21, my rear sight has 1-10 settings. Just before the 1, is a "pi" symbol. Is this the setting that I use initially as the battle setting for sighting in, or should I use the 1 for sighting in at 25/50 yards?

CarlosC
03-21-2010, 13:28
The "pi" setting is a Cyrillic character with a "p" sound. That is your battle setting, which is the same as your "3" setting or 300 meters. Set your sight to "1" for 25/50 yards.

xICEMANx
03-21-2010, 19:43
Im an new AK owner as of friday. Thanks for all the good info in this thread. Need to pick up or make one of those sight adjustment tools.

Mofeen
03-27-2010, 12:56
Thanks for all the help Carlos. Anyone know of any videos on Youtube demonstrating the steps for zeroing? Most importantly, how I should have my file set up on the bench? I know, I know, I'm a total rifle noob.

Mofeen
05-12-2010, 20:31
Thought I would try again? Do I need a bench vise? Can I do it accurately with bags?

CarlosC
05-13-2010, 06:55
Sorry.

You don't need a bench vise, a simple sandbag will suffice.

What did you mean in the previous post about a "file"?

Mofeen
05-13-2010, 10:33
Thanks. I was looking at a few vises, but may just get a couple of bags. Midway seems to have some nice ones.

The "file" was a typo. Meant rifle.

CarlosC
05-13-2010, 11:50
Or just get something like this...
http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Medium/682659.jpg

It's what I use. Not fancy. Cheap. Get's the job done.

motorcyclist
05-13-2010, 13:04

Pickens county rifle range is 100 yards and about a half an hour from G'ville and it's free. I was there this mourning shooting my Saiga for the first time. I was pretty consistant about 8 inches to the right of center. I hope to get some time and go back Saterday.
Oh, somebody at the range said they awarded a contract and a 25 yard pistol range should be open by end of summer.

Mofeen
05-13-2010, 15:11
The "pi" setting is a Cyrillic character with a "p" sound. That is your battle setting, which is the same as your "3" setting or 300 meters. Set your sight to "1" for 25/50 yards.

Thanks again Carlos. I will bother you with one last question on the topic. So I zero at 25 yards at the 1 setting. Am I than set to shoot at 100 at the battle setting?

CarlosC
05-13-2010, 15:47
Yes.

No bother at all.

DJ Niner
02-02-2011, 00:37
Bump.

DJ Niner
01-07-2012, 23:01
Another bump to keep it current.

carloglock19
01-08-2012, 08:05
Thanks CarlosC!

geofri
01-08-2012, 09:56
Darn, how did I miss this thread!

Carlos is the man!

southernshooter
01-09-2012, 06:50
I am still enjoying my WASR with the fixed mag wobble you wrote about years ago. A few minutes with JB Weld and it is still wobble free years later. Thanks again.
Hey I used to shoot at Ft Jackson at the old range. Got to start going again to the new range location. Don't know where it is exactly.

irishbum
01-09-2012, 14:42
All that is missing from this thread is a picture of Carlo's collection of AK's

CarlosC
01-09-2012, 18:07
Darn, how did I miss this thread!

Carlos is the man!

I did a bunch of threads like this years ago, including one on the different AKs that I was very proud of. They all got moved to a single thread in the reference section. Most of the links still work, thanks to DJNiner, but unfortunately, some of the links are now dead. Too bad, a lot of work went into them

CarlosC
01-09-2012, 18:14
I am still enjoying my WASR with the fixed mag wobble you wrote about years ago. A few minutes with JB Weld and it is still wobble free years later. Thanks again.
Hey I used to shoot at Ft Jackson at the old range. Got to start going again to the new range location. Don't know where it is exactly.

You're quite welcome! I don't know how many years I have on my WASR with the JB weld trick, but it's still going strong with a tight magwell too. I know it's gone through about 1500 rnds with no problem.

I haven't been to Ft Jackson in a few months, but I am hoping the range (Andrew Jackson Range) hasn't moved. If you come in through the gate off of Percival Rd, go to the first intersection (Dixie Rd.) and make a left. Follow that to the first stop sign (Wildcat Rd.) and make a right. The range is at the bottom of the hill on the right. You'll see the big red flag flying indicating the range is hot.

See ya there.

CarlosC
01-09-2012, 18:16
All that is missing from this thread is a picture of Carlo's collection of AK's

This one?:supergrin:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Rifles/AKfamily12-20102.jpg

irishbum
01-10-2012, 15:13
This one?:supergrin:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Rifles/AKfamily12-20102.jpg

MMMmmmmMmm AK's. Man those r lovely