question about shooting clubs in cola. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : question about shooting clubs in cola.

Glockphobia
04-10-2009, 05:40
hey guys, badandy and carbonfly. question for yall and anybody that would have a membership to shooters choice and/or midcarolina. my B-day is the 20th of this month and the wifey asked what i wanted. im thinking a membership to one of these establishments. any pros/cons for one vs the other. i know a con for midcarolina is,its further away for me but, they offer free cwp class for the wife.:wavey:thanks

BadAndy
04-10-2009, 11:32
MCRC
Pros - It's outside. More bays. Usually less crowded.
Cons - It's outside. If it rains, you can still shoot but it'll get messy. Not much fun when it's so cold you can't feel your fingers or so hot that you feel like vomiting after being there 30 minutes in direct sunlight.

The cons won't keep me from being a member because they're not a big deal. Just have to remember lots of water and a hat for the really hot/sunny days!! The free CWP class was definitely a big plus!

Shooters Choice
Pros - Indoors so weather isn't an issue too much.
Cons - They don't have AC on the lanes which makes it very uncomfortable very quickly during Summer. Usually very crowded and wait times for lanes can be ridiculous if the only you make it there is the most popular time for everybody else.

Shooters range also seems to attract a lot of "undesirable" people since it's convenient for most. There have been a few times that I didn't feel to comfortable being next to people that almost did better hitting my target and the ceiling from their own lane than the target they put out!

Carbonfly
04-10-2009, 20:13
I'm currently a member at Shooter's.

Pro's: Good for shooting handguns and rimfire. Nice range supervisors (the keep a close eye on the riffraff).
Con"s: Short range max 25 yards. Not allowed to shoot any AR or AK style rifles (unless you are shooting 22LR conversion. Can get crowded. Prices recently went up (used to be $100 for a year pass).

I probably won't renew my membership there. But it was nice as a starter range. Also it's funny to watch the "undesirable" people shoot their guns like in the movies. Their bullets are all over the target. It's hilarious to watch them look at the gun like its a mechanical problem. Now that I've built my AR and 6.8, I need longer range to shoot at.

This monday I am going to the MCRC Meeting to sign up for a membership at MCRC. I can't wait to enter some matches and shoot my AR. MCRC memberships have been place on hold for the last 3 months. Finally they are letting new people sign up.

Hope this helps!

Glockphobia
04-11-2009, 05:44
thanks for all the info guys, im swinging toward mcrc because of one BIG positive, able to shoot rifles. even if its further away, its not that bad. plus, if the wife decides to do the cwp class thats almost paying for the membership.

southernshooter
04-12-2009, 17:29
thanks for all the info guys, im swinging toward mcrc because of one BIG positive, able to shoot rifles. even if its further away, its not that bad. plus, if the wife decides to do the cwp class thats almost paying for the membership.

I have been thinking about joining there too. Used to be you had to meet a a restaurant or something to get an application to join.

BadAndy
04-12-2009, 18:34
I have been thinking about joining there too. Used to be you had to meet a a restaurant or something to get an application to join.
Still do.

Copy and pasted from their website.

<table class="contentpaneopen" border="0"><tbody><tr valign="top" align="left"><td colspan="4"> MURRAYS Neighborhood Grill Bar
2433 Charleston Hwy.
Cayce, SC
(803)926-1809

Click for Map and Directions (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2433+Charleston+Hwy.+Cayce,+SC++29033&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=29.081881,76.640625&ie=UTF8&ll=33.963864,-81.042023&spn=0.11874,0.299377&z=12&iwloc=addr)
Social time 6:00-7:30pm
Meeting Time: 7:30-8:30pm
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="ev_detail" colspan="4" valign="top" align="left"> Location: MURRAYS Neighborhood Grill Bar </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="ev_detail" colspan="4" valign="top" align="left">MURRAYS Neighborhood Grill Bar, 2433 Charleston Hwy., Cayce, SC, (803)926-1809, Social time 6:00-7:30pm, Meeting Time: 7:30-8:30pm</td></tr></tbody></table>

Waylay Heat
04-12-2009, 23:14
Right now I'm shooting at Shooters Choice, but it will be a standby place as soon as I can join MCRC.