External Hard drive for my Mac [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : External Hard drive for my Mac

Ghillie Suite
04-10-2009, 10:28
I was looking on newegg.com for a reliable hard drive that I wouldn't have to reprogram for my Mac. I'm looking for something with 1tb around $150. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

Linux3
04-10-2009, 12:40
I was looking on newegg.com for a reliable hard drive that I wouldn't have to reprogram for my Mac. I'm looking for something with 1tb around $150. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?
I just bought a Western Digital My Book at Staples, on sale.
$119.00 for 1tByte. Doesn't come with any extra crap just a nice drive.
It's usb2 of course but it does require a wall wart.
I'm using it with Linux but I transfered some files from my wife's Mac to my Fedora system and everybody was happy.
I also bought a WD My Passport, 500gByte usb2 drive and it gets all the power it needs from the usb port and it's very small and portable and was $119.00 also.

IslandHopper
04-10-2009, 13:00
I also have that 1TB Western Digital My Book hard drive. When I was looking, it was the cheapest thing available.
Works flawlessly serving up the DVD collection to the home network (they're all ripped and stored on that drive). It's been going strong for over a year now.

muscles
04-10-2009, 13:03
i also use the 1TB WD my book drive with my mac. time machine has saved my ass more than once!

bwphoto
04-11-2009, 01:51
Not sure on pricing but I like LaCie products w/ my Mac. I have one of their portable ones and a big mamajamma with a giant blue button on it. I think it was 500MB for $120, but that was a little while ago. USB 2.0 and FW800, which is pretty speedy.