DSL coming to the Ranch [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DSL coming to the Ranch

Manolito1
04-10-2009, 17:56
I am asking for advice. I currently have a 6 year old HP Pavilion desk top and it works fine for dial up. The phone carrier just offered DSL and I am having it hooked up Tuesday. I am sure this old computer will not be as fast as the new service so I am thinking of purchasing a Lap Top and from what I read a Dell or HP are ok? Suggestions would be appreciated. I also looked at remanufactured from Dell and HP. I am technically challenged and 61 years old so keep it simple please. Thanks for the help.

IndyGunFreak
04-10-2009, 18:09
Actually, the age of the computer will not effect the Internet service... As long as it has a working NIC interface, it should work fine with the service...

Now if you just want a new PC, by all means, get one..(Dell is fine, I don't like HP)... but getting high speed doesn't have to be the reason.

Enjoy the new service, you're gonna wonder how you ever got along w/o it.

IGF

Sgt. Schultz
04-10-2009, 18:35
Dial up Ö wow I didnít know that was still available! :tongueout:

I agree with IndyGunFreak your old computer will work just fine with your new DSL hookup, assuming its running fine now. With DSL you will notice that once you get to the Internet your web pages load/reload faster and downloads Ö something that you probably didnít do much of in the past Ö will be a LOT faster.

havensal
04-11-2009, 06:26
+1 to the above.

Also, if you are going to get a new laptop, don't rule out Toshiba. They have improved greatly in the last few years. I prefer Dell's but bought my Mom a Toshiba for $400 that runs great. :wavey:

Whatever you decide, post up your find if you're not sure if it's a good deal.

Linux3
04-11-2009, 06:57
We could go on forever here about which laptop is best. I like Thinkpads myself but...
If you have a life that doesn't revolve around technology and think a little extra help would be, well helpful, I would look at buying from a local mom and pop store. You may pay a little more but you will get support, a person you can talk to and I just like supporting the little guy.

Manolito1
04-11-2009, 08:03
Thanks for the input and advice. I like the idea of a local store I don't know of one but I will look. We are in a pretty remote area since we are just now getting DSL.

IndyGunFreak
04-11-2009, 08:30
I know they get a bad rap on occasion(probably justifiably so..)but I have an Acer Laptop that I've been very happy with.

IGF

Sgt. Schultz
04-11-2009, 10:13
As youíve already noticed, opinions on which laptop to buy will vary. We all have our favorites and Iím not going to cloud the issue by telling you to by one brand over the other, no matter which brand you buy you can get a lemon.

I agree with buying locally, but not for the support you will receive because it doesnít matter if itís a mom & pop or a superstore the support will suck and cost about the same. Also if a problem is hardware related both are going to send a laptop to an authorized repair center.

Before you purchase your laptop be sure you find out their return policy because manufactures donít burn in/test computers anymore. When you get it home you want to put it under stress, if itís going to fail make it happen before the return policy expires.

As havensal said "whatever you decide, post up your find if you're not sure if it's a good deal."

Manolito1
04-16-2009, 00:35
Just an update. I settled on a HP Pavilion 6v6-1053cl entertainment notebook. I bought at Costco after looking all over my area. I am sure there are better and bigger but the wife is happy so everybodys happy. Thanks again for the help.
Bill