Posting from Ubuntu! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Posting from Ubuntu!

CheesyD
04-11-2009, 09:37
I hauled my old desktop out of the basement and installed Ubuntu 8.10 on it. Pretty slick operating system. I had trouble getting the wireless connection going until I popped in a different (cheaper) brand of PCI wireless card. Ubuntu detected the new one right off.

Anyone who is slightly curious about Linux should check out Ubuntu. It's my only exposure so far but it seems fairly easy. I've got this desktop set up to dual-boot either Ubuntu or XP.

thejellster05
04-11-2009, 12:54
Hey welcome to the club! It's pretty awesome. The more time you use with it, the more you will realize the potential. :cool:

dotsun
04-11-2009, 13:34
I dual boot xp and OpenSuse, but I spend the majority of my time in Suse. I get withdrawals when I have to use Windows too much.

JoleBole
04-11-2009, 16:19
I dual boot Ubuntu and Vista. Ubuntu is great distribution. As time goes by you will learn more and more new stuff.There are milions of ubuntu docs and tutorials on the internet. You should see my linux bookmarks....:supergrin:

IndyGunFreak
04-11-2009, 22:05
I've moved on from my Ubuntu days, and now use a straight Debian install, but Ubuntu is a fantastic version of Linux for newbies. I always recommend when folks ask me what's a good version to try.

Hope it all continues to work out for you(by the way, 9.04 comes out in about 10 days..lol)

IGF

JK-linux
04-11-2009, 22:17
I have a MacBook Pro running Parallels. I'm very happy with the Ubuntu 8.10 VM I installed as well as the openSUSE 11.1 VM as well. Mostly just for fun, but they are both very potent distros. I like SUSE a bit more as it's a bit more AIX-like in structure. If I couldn't run Mac OS, it would definitely be one of those two distros over Windows. Congrats on the successful installation!

Linux3
04-12-2009, 08:57
I kind of bounce around between Ubuntu and <fill in the blank>. Currently it's Fedora 10.
I like that Ubuntu is easy to set up and configure and one site has all the extras you would need.
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Intrepid

Then I kind of get tired of all the weird things they do, like dash being linked to /bin/sh rather than bash and I wipe and install something else.

It's all about choices.