nasty virus [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : nasty virus

southernshooter
04-11-2009, 15:49
Picked up a nasty today. Called winpcdefender. Google says it is a fake spyware service. Has huge popups that can't be deleted. Ran malwarebits-couldn't see it, ran avast-couldn't see it. Downloaded hijackthis-killed it. Thank goodness. Thought I was going to have to buy spyware doctor or some other at @$29.95 every 6 months.

RDW
04-11-2009, 17:27
Stay away from those Pr0n sites; future problems solved.

DSMonsta
04-12-2009, 09:29
Stay away from those Pr0n sites; future problems solved.

That'd be giving in to the enemy and is not an option.

Try using a healthy pc to burn avast to a dvd and run it from there. If that fails it may be time to reformat. Luckily I happen to know of a free operating system that's just about immune to viruses.

http://www.pcthreat.com/parasitebyid-7818en.html

This site also has a manual removal instructions although I don't put a lot of faith in them.

southernshooter
04-13-2009, 17:35
That'd be giving in to the enemy and is not an option.

Try using a healthy pc to burn avast to a dvd and run it from there. If that fails it may be time to reformat. Luckily I happen to know of a free operating system that's just about immune to viruses.

http://www.pcthreat.com/parasitebyid-7818en.html

This site also has a manual removal instructions although I don't put a lot of faith in them.

As I posted, ran Avast first, said "nothing found"Hijack this got rid of it, don't need to reformat. This either came from Ancestry.com or an email.

JK-linux
04-13-2009, 17:43
Does this effect Mac/Linux/UNIX?

Linux3
04-13-2009, 20:47
Does this effect Mac/Linux/UNIX?
No, whole different theory of operation.
*nix systems differentiate between data and executable. Windows doesn't. Thus anything you download is data and not executable unless you actually set the execute it and run it.
I could send you an attachment and say "here, download this and then set the executable bit and then run it and I will wipe your system".
1) Why would you do that.
2) You can only delete YOUR files not system files as you don't have permission.

JK-linux
04-13-2009, 20:52
I was being a smarty pants. Kidding aside though, that's probably the best and cleanest explaination I've seen articulated.
+1 for Linux3

Big Al 24
04-13-2009, 22:12
I was being a smarty pants. Kidding aside though, that's probably the best and cleanest explaination I've seen articulated.
+1 for Linux3

+2 :wavey:

srhoades
04-13-2009, 22:58
I would run combofix. I can all but gurantee there is still remnants of it or something else still running that hijackthis doesn't see.