Snipers killed pirates and rescued captain [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Snipers killed pirates and rescued captain

Poodle
04-12-2009, 16:47
At least one good news.

MANAMA, Bahrain (CNN) — Navy snipers opened fire on pirates holding an American cargo-ship captain hostage after seeing that one of the pirates “had an AK 47 leveled at the captain’s back,” a military official said Sunday.

Three pirates were killed and the captain was rescued uninjured, Navy Vice Adm. Bill Gortney told reporters.

Capt. Richard Phillips — who had been held hostage by four pirates since they attacked his ship, the Maersk Alabama, on Wednesday — was “resting comfortably” on the USS Boxer following his rescue Sunday night, according to the Navy.

Phillips contacted his family and received a routine medical exam after his rescue at 7:19 p.m. (12:19 p.m. ET), the Navy Central Command said.

“The captain is in good health. He’s showered up and in a clean set of clothes,” Gortney said in a telephone news conference from Navy Central Command in Bahrain.

Wanted to go to sniper school but the Marine sniper told me that civilians are not allowed. Shooting from 500 meters up is no longer self defense, it seems. Still, it would be nice if I could hit man sized paper targets at 500 meters.

hannibal357
04-12-2009, 17:37
I saw this on Fox news just this morning.
The Navy seal snipers were flown in from somewhere and dropped by parachute to get to the Navy destroyer operating near Somalia.
The 3 snipers shot and killed 3 Somali pirates simultaneously, while perched on a bobbing ship.
Just another day at the office for these guys...

Evan N. Payawal
04-12-2009, 19:15
I wonder if they're already negotiating with him for the movie rights? :-)

isuzu
04-12-2009, 19:59
An update here by the US military was that just parts of the kidnappers bodies were showing, and it also showed that an AK was pointed at the captain's head.

The ground commanders gave the green light to the snipers. They took out three; captured another one.

Obama gave the rescuers the authorization to rescue the hostage.

Wp.22
04-12-2009, 20:22
somali pirates are like the abu's hindi nauubos

gundog
04-12-2009, 20:39
[QUOTE=Wp.22;12723469]somali pirates are like the abu's hindi nauubos

korek ka jan Potski. may mga lahi dumadami kahit hindi nanganganak :rofl:

bulm540
04-12-2009, 21:04
Good kill.

Wp.22
04-12-2009, 22:57
[QUOTE=Wp.22;12723469]somali pirates are like the abu's hindi nauubos

korek ka jan Potski. may mga lahi dumadami kahit hindi nanganganak :rofl:

parang mga bading :rofl:

horge
04-13-2009, 02:19
That was some fine, fine shooting.

New_comer
04-13-2009, 03:30
"Pirates Vow Revenge: 'America Will Be the One Mourning' "

http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=7321378&page=1

Kaya kaya nila gumanti?

theTactician
04-13-2009, 09:47
"Pirates Vow Revenge: 'America Will Be the One Mourning' "

http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=7321378&page=1

Kaya kaya nila gumanti?

baka pag-initan nila yung mga iba pa nilang hostages. i heard that they still have a lot of them including 23 filipino seamen according to the news. sana we have some elite filipino commandos who can find them and rescue them as well.

ess45
04-13-2009, 10:02
baka pag-initan nila yung mga iba pa nilang hostages. i heard that they still have a lot of them including 23 filipino seamen according to the news. sana we have some elite filipino commandos who can find them and rescue them as well.

Kaya nga nagprapractice na sa Airsoft ang mga Band of Glockers natin.

BrassKnuckle
04-14-2009, 01:36
I wonder how things would be if the Abu's kidnapped a US citizen and the Americans were given a free hand to reslove it...

Allegra
04-14-2009, 02:33
I wonder how things would be if the Abu's kidnapped a US citizen and the Americans were given a free hand to reslove it...

Malamang wala pa rin
I dont think it fighting them thats the problerm
Ang hirap nila hanapin sa gubat
Search nyo sa youtube yung pag rescue kay Burnham sa History channel
May naka abang ng us seal teams sa perimeter just in case makatakas si Sabaya dun sa boat ng marines

9MX
04-14-2009, 08:39
What was the rifle used by the SEALS?

edtf
04-14-2009, 09:16

yeah!!! I want to know too plus what was the distance?

astig007
04-14-2009, 18:55
they might have called in THE UNIT of jonas blane... hahaha :)

atmarcella
04-16-2009, 00:56

large caliber malamang.

nelany
04-16-2009, 08:12

The news say that it is a gyro equip rifle kaya fix on target maski gumagalaw yung battleship.

atmarcella
04-16-2009, 23:56
langya! lupet!

goldfinger
04-19-2009, 22:47

Probably, A Remington 700 in .308

vega
04-19-2009, 23:31
Probably, A Remington 700 in .308

'afraid not.

Take it with a grain of salt,
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=174198&highlight=pirate

atmarcella
04-20-2009, 00:57
sabi kna, large caliber hehe.

atmarcella
04-20-2009, 00:58
mga 308 hanggang 1000 lang yan, pag 2k+ na large caliber na.

lakay
04-20-2009, 05:15
seals sniper rifle...

i believe it is the Stoner Mark 11 Model 0

The stoner mark 11 model 0 is a creation of knight armament in florida. chambering the 7.62 nato(.308) round, this self loading sniper rifle represents a refinement of the designs of the late eugene stoner. it has been adopted by the us navy for use by its famous SEALS team.

Poodle
04-20-2009, 08:24
There's a report that says that the distance was only about 100 feet.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/rifles/2009/04/pirate-snipers-get-good-press

That's about 33 yards.

WASHINGTON — The hard part was not the distance, 75 feet, an easy range for an experienced sniper. Far more difficult were all the moving parts: the bobbing lifeboat, the rolling ship, hitting three targets simultaneously in darkness — and all without harming the hostage, Capt. Richard Phillips.

That was the consensus on Monday from former members of the Navy Seals who said they were impressed by the skills of three Seal snipers who aimed from the fantail of the destroyer Bainbridge and picked off three Somali pirates holding Captain Phillips in a small lifeboat that was being towed about 75 feet behind the destroyer.

“For all three of them to fire those shots at the same time and take those guys out, it was quite a feat,” said Don Shipley, a former member of the Seals who now runs a private Seal training school in Chesapeake, Va. “They showed the patience the sniper has, which is looking through the scope for hours to get that perfect shot.”

A Defense official said that the three snipers, who had authority from President Obama to shoot if they thought Captain Phillips’s life was in danger, fired when they saw a pirate aiming a rifle at the captain’s back. There was no command to fire at that given moment, the official said.

Several dozen members of the Seals had secretly boarded the Bainbridge on Saturday, having flown to the area, parachuted into the ocean and then climbed aboard inflatable boats they had dropped into the sea. The Navy would not say where they were based or if they were part of even more elite, clandestine military units that have historically been used for hostage rescues.

But a former member of the Seals said the events unfolded as a classic hostage rescue operation and that Seal snipers trained daily, and under all conditions, to maintain precision skills.

“Training from a moving platform is something they do all the time,” said the former member, Harry Humphries, who is now a security consultant and actor. “That’s a classic problem at sea.”

Jamey Cummings, another former member of the Seals who is now an executive headhunter, said most Seal platoons of 16 had at least two snipers who were essential to the tactics of the group. “It’s a common misperception that Seals like to sneak up on people and use knives on them,” he said. “If you have to do that, the mission was probably not planned that way.”

atmarcella
04-20-2009, 23:17
depends on the job, they dont have just one sniper rifle for all jobs.

Black_SIR
04-22-2009, 02:03
galing galing... :tongueout: buti sa mga pirates

atmarcella
05-29-2009, 01:37
sniper rifle with longest range

barrett 416 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No1jdfkzM0w)

atmarcella
05-29-2009, 01:50
pwede din ito

cheytac 408 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpRHdjBj5ZI&feature=related)