Start of spring turkey season... any luck? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Start of spring turkey season... any luck?

The Habit
04-13-2009, 06:26
Anyone else get out in the woods this weekend? A friend and I hit the woods at sunrise on Saturday. We didn't get a single gobbler to answer our calls all morning. We only heard a single hen the entire time we were out there. Of course, we had at least six whitetail come within 50 yards of us throughout the morning. That never happens during deer season!

Oh well. We'll try again when the forecast indicates some nicer weather. It was really windy on Saturday. Anyone have any luck?

klt1986
04-13-2009, 08:27
None here either.

vafish
04-13-2009, 15:36
Saw one Tom walking along the road as we drove to Easter Vigil Saturday night.

Does that count?

Dan
04-17-2009, 21:01
Went this morning, I worked on calling a Tom for about an hour to get him to come out of the woods, well the Coyote beet him to the decoy... therefor the Coyote met the Mossberg 835 with #4 3"mags.

No turkey yet, but I did score my first Yote!

airthebear
04-19-2009, 00:04
I had a similar morning yesterday as Dan did. I ended up calling a coyote in, only it didn't come close enough for a shot. It got my blood flowing. I also had a hen around 15 yards from me for a few minutes. No gobbles the whole morning. Was definetely surprised. Maybe next week...

The Habit
04-19-2009, 21:39
I'm headed out again in the morning. The weather isn't looking too promising. I was hoping to get out Saturday but family obligations trumped that notion. Like Dan, I'm using an 835 stoked with #4 3" mags. Unlike Dan, mine hasn't seen any action.

Dan
04-20-2009, 06:38
I'm headed out again in the morning. The weather isn't looking too promising. I was hoping to get out Saturday but family obligations trumped that notion. Like Dan, I'm using an 835 stoked with #4 3" mags. Unlike Dan, mine hasn't seen any action.

I woke up this morning to head out myself, but it was a pretty good down poor. Since it is 0837 right now, guess what I decided to do? :whistling:

The Habit
04-21-2009, 08:12
Well, yesterday could have been a banner day. My friend and I got into the woods right at sunrise. The rain let up as soon as we started up the mountain, which was nice. We got a little wet throughout the morning but it wasn't bad at all.

After a few hours of not having any luck, I heard a gobbler in the hollow below us. My buddy called him to within about 30 yards. We were hidden on the edge of a laurel thicket and, as I was about to take the shot, I tried to reposition myself to get a clean sight picture. Well, as soon as I shifted just slightly, the bird saw my movement and took off.

He was a big boy too... probably 25lbs. I felt terrible that my buddy called him in close for me and I blew my chance at the shot. We are heading back up there on Saturday and I'm going to get that dang bird.

Orkinman
04-22-2009, 22:49
I was in Northern Neck this weekend and my cousin who lives there nabbed a tom Saturday morning.

The Habit
04-27-2009, 06:49
Looks like I'm going to be out of luck this season... at least judging by the way things are going so far. I re-patterned my 835 with a new Undertaker choke and some Win Supreme 3" HV #6 shells on Friday afternoon with excellent results. So, my buddy and I hit the wood at sunrise on Saturday.

Around 9:30 we settled into a nice spot at the top of a clearing where we had seen some hens on earlier forays. Sure enough, within about 10 minutes of settling in, we got a gobbler to respond to our calls. I'm guessing he was about 200 yards away. We started calling him in; he was making a beeline for our location. Somewhere between us and the gobbler there was another hunter. He heard us calling, heard the gobbler responding, and got in between us and the bird. We had the gobbler within about 100 yards and, BOOM, this other guy took the bird.

We thought for sure we were the only ones in the woods (private property) since we had not heard anyone else calling birds. I don't know if this guy had just come into the woods or not, but he had to have known we were calling the gobbler and intentionally got between us and the tom. Needless to say, I wasn't pleased.

Oh well, a few more weeks to go. Gotta keep trying I guess.

Dan
04-27-2009, 12:26
Went out Saturday morning and picked 4 tics off me, ya'll watch yourselves.

xbuceye
04-27-2009, 12:41
I went out yesterday. Saw a bunch of them in the freezer section at the Publix down the road from the house. Already to put in the oven with the popper thing installed. Much easier and no ticks or skeeters to worry about.:tongueout: