Digital photo editing software [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Digital photo editing software

Rollo Tamasey
04-13-2009, 11:22
I am unemployed now and looking for a job so I do not want to buy photo shop right now. On the Kim Komando shows websit: WWW.Komando.com
she has free photo editing software you can download. I am looking for software that can do more than getting red eye out of a portrait. I want something that I can use to hide blemishes on peoples face. Do any of you know if any of the ones on Camandos site that can do this or any ones I can buy that are cheaper than photo shop that will do this.

Right now I just have the free basic Cannon software that came withthe camera.

hwyhobo
04-13-2009, 12:02
Too bad you didn't provide a link to where she recommends those software packages. Her site is extensive.

However, if you want a serious free photo editing software, you might try Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/).

If you do not mind spending $100, an even better move might be to buy Photoshop Elements, since it will help you learn the interface of the full-blown version and provide about 80% of the functionality you will ever use.

MrsKitty
04-13-2009, 23:57
Are you interested in a tablet? You can get one with PSE for about the same price as PSE by itself. I picked one of these up as a Christmas present to myself a couple years ago and I *love* it. It's small but plenty big enough for my needs. I thought I would just throw this out there if you were going to buy PSE. :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/520804.jpg

The Bamboo Fun small for $99 comes with:

Photoshop Elements 6.0 (4.0 for Mac)
Nik Color Efex Pro 3
Painter Essentials 3

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520804-REG/Wacom_CTE450B_Bamboo_Fun_Tablet_Small_.html

Rollo Tamasey
04-14-2009, 15:52
Thanks for the info guys. The esentials version of photo shop sounds like the way to go for one that you buy. I like the way it might help train you in the basics of the real photo shop.

Rollo Tamasey
04-14-2009, 15:53
I ment the elements version of photo shop.

hatidua
04-14-2009, 18:03
I use NIK software a bunch in my retouching and manipulation of images. I think you can get a free 15-day trial of it before buying (www.niksoftware.com). I think you'll need something in conjunction with it though, I use CS4 but I suspect other products will work.

airmotive
04-16-2009, 07:08
Disclaimer - I've since bought the below-mentioned software!

However, before purchasing, I downloaded a pirated version of Adobe Lightroom 2.3 via Bittorrent. Lightroom and Gimp keep me busy. I'm not sayin it's legal....I'm just sayin'....

I simply cannot justify $1000 for full Photoshop CS4.
If you have any friends who are still in college, they can purchase software at vastly reduced prices. It's the software equivalent of a straw purchase, only it's legal (but immoral).

Glkster19
04-18-2009, 07:42
If you have any friends who are still in college, they can purchase software at vastly reduced prices. It's the software equivalent of a straw purchase, only it's legal (but immoral).

I've found the student version is only able to be loaded on 1 computer only so make sure your friend doesn't want it also. My understanding is 1 title per student, ie. can't buy a copy for yourself and a copy for a friend. I wanted to buy 2 copies since I do editing on my desktop and on occasion my laptop. Double check that but it's what I've been hearing.

Rollo Tamasey
04-19-2009, 18:47
My brother sent me a link to free photo software called Gimp. It looks good but I am still looking at the tutorials to learn how to use it now that I have it installed in my computer. Thanks for your input though.

hwyhobo
04-19-2009, 19:20
My brother sent me a link to free photo software called Gimp. [...] Thanks for your input though.
Check the first reply to your original question.