Tampa Trails [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Trails

spike0256
04-13-2009, 12:39
My GF and I want to start walking on the upper Tampa Bay Trail. Does anyone know if we can carry on it?

JerryVO
04-13-2009, 13:13
Once again you will runinto the ever long running debate about the dreaded sign. I can tell you from riding on the upper TBT at every enterance to the parking lots of the various starting points there is a no weapons allowed sign.

Carrying is not prohibited by the state law, and it is a sate park, not a federal park so you are OK there, but if you are 'caught' they can ask you to leave and you must do so immediately or armed trespass.

I am sure you will also be harrased by the Hills. Co. Sherrif, even though you are not breaking the law.

FWIW: Personally when I ride with a group I leave it in the car, when I walk with my wife and baby I carry.

Here is the actual Florida statute for your reading pleasure.

790.06 (12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05 [below]; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose any elementary or secondary school facility; any area vocational-technical center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or non-lethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport , provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

spike0256
04-13-2009, 14:04
Thank you very much, that's what i thought.

Mr. Blandings
04-13-2009, 15:05
spike0256,

Nothing in the law prohibits lawful concealed carry (with a valid Florida CCW) on the Upper Tampa Bay Trail, but the trespass laws dictate that you must leave ANYWHERE when requested or face arrest.

There is NO WAY I would use the trail - regardless of time, circumstance, # of people in group, etc... - without carrying concealed.

There have been enough incidents along the trail that Hillsborough County GIS mapped the trail and installed marker numbers along the path so you can tell a 911 operator where you are. (http://blogs.tampabay.com/breakingnews/2008/12/upper-tampa-bay.html)

The trail is a perfect "fringe area (http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/fringe.html)" (credit to Marc "Animal" MacYoung's excellent No Nonsense Self Defense website). A fringe area is anywhere that is frequented by people, but which at any given time a single person or group of people in that area will be relatviely isolated. In a fringe area you are not able to summon the attention of bystanders or call for help from others who will close enough to render aid.

brboyer
04-13-2009, 18:42
No problem at all.
I do not believe that you can be trespassed from public property without cause.