60 Mins at Richmond gun show [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 60 Mins at Richmond gun show

Reswob
04-13-2009, 21:17
Anyone know what happened with whatever footage was shot by the 60 Mins crew at the showplace on Mar. 7-8? I saw a commercial for the new 20/20 where VA's gunshow loophole was found (!:rofl:), and wondered when we'd hear what Nazi propaganda 60 Mins came up with.

alien-Glocker
04-14-2009, 03:38
Here's a write up and a link to the segment:

http://************/d236hs

provide by VCDL

You get a 30 second commercial before the 60-Minute segment begins

Richard Simmons
04-14-2009, 08:33
Actually the 60 Minutes episode wasn't bad. Head and shoulders above the hit piece 20/20 aired on Friday.

gtrcivic
04-14-2009, 12:54
It was good to have Van Cleef from VACDL there to answer the questions thrown at him. Even Leslie Stahl replied to Omar (brother of girl who died at VT) that Choi bought his gun at a gunstore with a background check, vs the gunshow loophole that they kept on bringing up.

I always that if you sold a gun to someone, you had to get their Driver's license and do a receipt of exchange of sale....i guess not the case anymore.

Richard Simmons
04-14-2009, 13:56
There is no law requiring a receipt or bill of sale that I've ever seen. Still, the law says you can't sell a handgun to anyone under 21 or from out of state or under 18 for a long gun so you pretty much have to ask for ID to stay legal and writing down their info helps if the gun is ever traced back to you after being used in a crime.

Even getting an ID doesn't mean they aren't a felon. I just ask, "Are you legally able to possess a rifle/shotgun/handgun in the Commonwealth of VA?" If they answer yes you've done you part in that regard.

klt1986
04-14-2009, 21:54
There is no law requiring a receipt or bill of sale that I've ever seen. Still, the law says you can't sell a handgun to anyone under 21 or from out of state or under 18 for a long gun so you pretty much have to ask for ID to stay legal and writing down their info helps if the gun is ever traced back to you after being used in a crime.

Even getting an ID doesn't mean they aren't a felon. I just ask, "Are you legally able to possess a rifle/shotgun/handgun in the Commonwealth of VA?" If they answer yes you've done you part in that regard.

Not trying to be a jerk but one of your facts is incorrect. It is not illegal for a private resident of VA to sale a handgun to another resident of VA who is over 18 but less than 21.

Richard Simmons
04-15-2009, 06:38
Not trying to be a jerk but one of your facts is incorrect. It is not illegal for a private resident of VA to sale a handgun to another resident of VA who is over 18 but less than 21.

Thank you for the correction. The age requirement applies only to dealer sales and as you stated NOT to private sales. My mistake and I apologize.

gtrcivic
04-15-2009, 07:34
I guess when i asked the question to a LEO back when i was 21yo and not familiar with the laws, he said you should get copy of id and exchange bill of sale receipt just in case later it is used in a crime and traced back to me.

MavsX
04-15-2009, 13:09
i saw the 60 minutes episode. eh..it was like 12 minutes long. They need more time..it felt rushed.