FTP software vs network location on Vista/XP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : FTP software vs network location on Vista/XP

Green_Manelishi
04-14-2009, 15:02
In the past I've used an FTP software to move stuff but decided this time to just set up a notwork location and work with files that way. Any reason, other than "Yeah, cuz you are using MS", not to? If so, recommend a decent free FTP thingy.

JimmyN
04-15-2009, 02:11
If you want to move files from one PC to another on your LAN then a shared folder is certainly the best way to go. Just dragging and dropping the files is faster and easier than starting up an FTP program to accomplish the same task.

If you want to move files from your home PC to an office network, upload to a web server, or something similar then I'd use FTP unless you have a VPN tunnel set up so you can share a folder on the remote network.

So the best method depends on where this stuff is that you want to move, and the networks location that you want to move it to

kc8ykd
04-15-2009, 03:00
I'm not sure 100% what you're looking for here.

You can use this free FTP server for windows:
http://www.cerberusftp.com/
It's quite configurable and has a small footprint.

You can also use Windows IIS's ftp server if you want.

You can use FTP Commander as a windows client, it's also free:
http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm

You can also use SMB/CIFS sharing between machines, windows/linux/mac.
For windows just make sure you enable file sharing, then right-click on a directory or drive and hit properties. There will be subsequent menus that determine how and what to share within.

For the clients, you can address the 'server' by name "\\computername\(share)\" or by ip "\\(ip address)\(share)\"
or you can just type in "\\computername-or-ip\" and brows all the available shares, then right-click them to map them as drives on the client machine.

You've got a lot of options.

jtm62
04-23-2009, 17:36
I use firefox, and as such, I have installed fireFTP on all my computers. With an FTP client on each computer I can log into any from my browser and transfer files at will. Easy enough for me, but my network is a mixed bag of nuts.