Can't access certain (firearm related) sites [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can't access certain (firearm related) sites

Jager1147
04-14-2009, 15:58
Small office pier to pier network, using cable (Optimum Online) and a number of sites like USPSA.com, JP enterprises, Brianenos.com, can't connect. Internet works fine, all internet explorer settings are at default level. If I log on to AOL, I can then connect to these sites. All computers (3) on network do this. Using Mcafee (only on 2), and no filters on that I know of. Linksys router. Everything used to work fine, any suggestions? I tried lowering all internet explorer settings, turned off all firewalls, same result. Installed Internet Explorer version 8 beta version, same thing. I'm stumped - anyone?

pkn.glock23
04-14-2009, 23:51
Hi, it sounds as if there is a Internet access management system installed somewhere. You could try another browser brand like google crome many of the access management programs dont look much farther than Explorer Netscape and firefox.

solomansousana
04-15-2009, 12:29
Sounds almost like that K9 Bluecoat software, where the filter list is kept at an online site that the browser checks with before taking you to any website. A fellow RN at work bought her daughter a new laptop and installed the K9 software, it's pretty much a simple package that writes itself into your operating system and registry and it uses a set of filters kept at the K9 website, the administrator however can expand on the allowed list or add to it. And it works in no matter what type of environement your system is in, whether full load or safe mode, and any attempt to remove it without the admin password will block all internet access until the admin calls the K9 hotline and unlocks access. Once she had it installed I even tried using Firefox and Opera from my USB U3 drive and it still blocked the sites from coming up on those browsers as well.

Jager1147
04-15-2009, 12:35
Wow, thanks guys. This is my office, and the only thing I can think of is I had a network guru come in and install a backup device. I have not bought or installed anything you describe - I'll check with that person to see if there's something he had installed. Thanks for your help.

solomansousana
04-15-2009, 13:16
I failed to mention in my earlier post, that the hospital I work for has the same filtered internet. It pretty much allows you to visit G and PG rated sites, but not adult content or social networking sights. It uses the same type of web page verification that Norton uses to let you know your on the real site and not a phishing site and prevents downloads and such. According to our IT guy, they use a service similar to K9 that keeps the filters on a secure server that all hospital traffic moves through. If you should find the need to visit a site that is off limits normally, there is a tab that you can click and your supervisor can enter a password that gives you unrestricted web access, but then after you log off, a report is generated of everything you did is sent to your supervisor and his/her own supervisor.

Stompy
04-18-2009, 01:19
https://mudclimber.com/

It a Proxy avoidance site. I have used it and it works fairly well.

srhoades
04-18-2009, 21:07
Any web filtering software worth it's salt will block proxy sites as well.