usb locks up [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : usb locks up

jolt8me
04-14-2009, 16:15
I have a laptop with 4 usb ports. When i plug my camera into 3 of them it locks up the computer (i have to press the power button for 8 seconds to power it down, nothing works) the 4th one wont lock up but it will not show the camera as a drive so i cant access it.
checked in system information and there are no conflicts. Uninstalled the usb drivers and had windows find them on reboot and still same problem. I am able to hook the camera up to another laptop with no problems. The problem also happens when i hook up a card reader to the ports.I am running windows xp.

lee2
04-14-2009, 16:41
its probably looking for the camera driver.
you do have one dont you?

jolt8me
04-14-2009, 16:44
but the camera works fine on another laptop that doesnt have the camera driver on it. Plus other devices dont work as well, card reader, another camera, mp3 player, all of them either lock up the 3 usb ports or are not recognized by the 4th.

Sgt. Schultz
04-14-2009, 19:02
How old is the laptop? Does it have USB 2.0? Perhaps the camera requires USB 2.0 and is not backward compatible with USB 1.1 ... I ran into this once before.

jolt8me
04-14-2009, 19:47
How old is the laptop? Does it have USB 2.0? Perhaps the camera requires USB 2.0 and is not backward compatible with USB 1.1 ... I ran into this once before.

the camera used to work on this computer until recently for some reason.

Sgt. Schultz
04-14-2009, 19:53
the camera used to work on this computer until recently for some reason.Is it just the camera locking up the laptop or any/all USB devices plugged into it?

UtahIrishman
04-14-2009, 19:56
If you haven't already install service pack 3. There are several fixes for USB problems in it.

jolt8me
04-14-2009, 20:12
Is it just the camera locking up the laptop or any/all USB devices plugged into it?

any usb device hooked up to it. All the devices that have failed worked on another laptop.

jolt8me
04-14-2009, 20:12
If you haven't already install service pack 3. There are several fixes for USB problems in it.

serivce pack 3 is installed. im thinking hardware failure at this point.

Sgt. Schultz
04-14-2009, 20:15

You do not need to install sp3 to get the patches/fixes; they are available at the Windows update site. Also if you have Automatic Updates enabled then you already have everything that is included in service pack 3 because sp3 is made up of a collection of previously available updates and patches along with some minor enhancements and they are designed to assist those that manage large numbers of computers on business networks.

Sgt. Schultz
04-14-2009, 20:17
any usb device hooked up to it. All the devices that have failed worked on another laptop.Check the BIOS settings and make sure that USB support is enabled ... even if you know you haven't changed any settings.

jolt8me
04-14-2009, 20:26
Check the BIOS settings and make sure that USB support is enabled ... even if you know you haven't changed any settings.

usb is enabled in the bios

Sgt. Schultz
04-14-2009, 20:32
Okay check the registry and verify that it's enabled. Go to the following key ...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UsbStor

... "3" is to enable USB "4" is to disable it

Sgt. Schultz
04-14-2009, 20:34
the camera used to work on this computer until recently for some reason.Any storms or power surges?

jolt8me
04-14-2009, 20:47
Okay check the registry and verify that it's enabled. Go to the following key ...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UsbStor

... "3" is to enable USB "4" is to disable it

i have
start Reg_dword 0x00000003 (3)
type reg_dword 0x00000001 (1)

jolt8me
04-14-2009, 20:57
the usb is providing power, i just plugged in a usb mouse and the optical light comes on but the cursor doesnt move and the pc doesnt say that new hardware was found.

Sgt. Schultz
04-14-2009, 21:19
Well we are getting to the end of my USB trouble shooting list ... you can try disabling the “Selective Suspend feature” on the USB devices; this will not allow windows to suspend power to any of the devices. Here is a link to a utility that will do it for you … http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9643528

ETA: reboot after running this utility.

If you did all of the above and still haven't resolved the issue then it's either a corrupt registry or a hardware failure and the only way to rule out both is to do a clean OS install.

jolt8me
04-14-2009, 21:35
Well we are getting to the end of my USB trouble shooting list ... you can try disabling the “Selective Suspend feature” on the USB devices; this will not allow windows to suspend power to any of the devices. Here is a link to a utility that will do it for you … http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9643528

ETA: reboot after running this utility.

If you did all of the above and still haven't resolved the issue then it's either a corrupt registry or a hardware failure and the only way to rule out both is to do a clean OS install.

downloaded it and rebooted and still the same problem. Thank you for taking the time out to try to help me.