Help with a Flash alternative on website [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Flash alternative on website

BigDog40
04-14-2009, 20:42
I manage the website for my mother in laws campground. We host with yahoo and use Sitebuilder (free tool from yahoo). It generally does what I need it to, but I want to step it up a notch with some picture effects. We have several pages of pictures of the inside/outsides of our cabins and the property. I want to make a frame with rotating pictures on the front page. Make it a little more attractive. I would like to try something free first to see if it makes a difference. I googled free flash etc and saw several. Has anyone tried any free tools that worked ok for them. Sitebuilder can use HTML frames and I can do video off my camera.
Just a couple of facts...I cant afford something like Dreamweaver...dont have it in the budget.

I also like that fact that we look a little "homemade" , we really try to market the family owned and operated...so I dont want to go over the top

Thanks for any suggestions

Pat

JimmyN
04-15-2009, 03:10
If you just want a frame that cycles through a series of images, a slideshow effect, you can do that with some javascript. Flash would be a bit of overkill for that application

There are a lot of free scripts available, Google terms like 'javascript slideshow', 'javascript random images', 'javascript rotate images', etc. The scripts vary as to how flexible they are, ease of setup, etc, but being free you can try several and see what works best for you.

If by rotating images you want them to come twirling in out of the ether, display for a bit, and then go dancing off in another direction as the next picture appears then Java would be an option for that, or Flash. Personally for that type display I'd do it with Java rather than creating a flash movie. Easier to create and easier to add/delete images when you want to change it later, as compared to a Flash file. But that's just my preference.

Note that Java and javascript are not the same, even though the names are similar. Javascript is executed by your browser, where Java has a runtime module that does the heavy lifting. So if you want something fancy search the same type terms as before but use 'java' instead of 'javascript'.

Some of the scripts will be free for personal use, but charge if for a commercial website. But even the ones that charge are pretty inexpensive usually 5~10 dollars or so.

IslandHopper
04-15-2009, 08:55
Please don't use Flash.

Flash just really ties up browsers... not everyone is running the latest and greatest hardware on a 10MB connections ;)

BigDog40
04-15-2009, 19:32
Thanks
Thats what I was wanting was a slideshow type effect. I will look at the javascript. I also understand that not everyone runs the latest and greatest. I am trying to keep it simple. I am using google analytical, I was suprised that several people looking at the site are still using dial- up....its like 10-13 % of my total looks

Thanks again guys