Need Some Recommendations for a cwp class [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Recommendations for a cwp class

holler1217
04-14-2009, 23:14
Hey there fellow Glocktalkers im planning on getting my cwp soon, I need some recommendations on a good place i can take the class with reasonably polite instructors :upeyes: ? Oh and im trying to avoid palm beach shooting center :steamed: I live in the west palm beach area. Any help would be greatful THANKS!

djegators
04-14-2009, 23:45
Southern Classic Gun Show is in Miami May 23,23. I took their class before, and thought it was quite good. It is a large class, and not much for one on one if that is what you desire. They will have all you need for application completed, incl. electronic fingerprinting/background check, notarization, etc.

pcguy
04-15-2009, 03:55
Riegs gun shop on Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando holds CWP classes weekly, and walk you through the paperwork, finger printing and notary onsite.

rich52us
04-15-2009, 06:10
http://www.flgunshows.com/

There is a gun show at the South Florida Fairgrounds this weekend. The instructor is usually David Aronow. I've taken another course with him and he was good. You can get everything done and ready to mail to the state in one day.

peteG21
04-15-2009, 06:55
Southern Classic gun shows is $25.00 plus an extra fee for electronic finger printing the instructor its a great guy im taking my wife inn in May to take the class

djegators
04-15-2009, 09:54
Southern Classic gun shows is $25.00 plus an extra fee for electronic finger printing the instructor its a great guy im taking my wife inn in May to take the class

Think you made a typo...it is $140 for the class and electronic printing.

http://faq.floridagunshows.com/

Bibbs
04-15-2009, 12:55
Riegs gun shop on Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando holds CWP classes weekly, and walk you through the paperwork, finger printing and notary onsite.

The Reig's course costs $75, I took it about a month ago and they were very helpful in getting everything filled out and completed.

They hold the courses on Tuesday & Saturday nights at 6pm.

reloader-1
04-15-2009, 13:27
David von Matt (www.miamigunclasses.com (http://www.miamigunclasses.com)) is AMAZING. Very smart, patient, and knows his stuff. Hilarious as well!

He has his classes near the Golden Glades Interchange in north Miami-Dade. $75 - a steal!

sidewinder6
04-15-2009, 13:53
If you dont mind Broward, they run regular classes at Pembroke Gun and Range. (The Old American Indoor). They are good folks there.

njl
04-15-2009, 18:53
Think you made a typo...it is $140 for the class and electronic printing.

http://faq.floridagunshows.com/

It seems things have changed quite a bit since I got mine. I did one of the show classes, and I can't remember what it cost, but I don't think it was quite so much. OTOH, $42 of that $140 is the electronic fingerprinting...which you're either going to pay at the class or pay to the state if you get ink prints done (what I did).

holler1217
04-15-2009, 20:15
guys looks like i'll be heading out to the south florida fair grounds this saturday for my class thanks!

FlaChef
04-17-2009, 00:52
I tell everyone I can to avoid those stupid useless gun show classes like the plague!!
I have heard many stories by many people who have attended them and not learned a thing and fired one shot from a .22 not even AT a target to qualify.

I personally in Orlando recommend East Orange Shooting Sports, but that is a bit far from WPB. I would go with either of the other two people's recommendations (Broward or Miami).

If you think I am exaggerating ask 5 people who took the gun show class how informative it was and if they would recommend it, then do the same for people who took a local class from a shop that tries to do it right instead of just "cranking em through".

njl
04-17-2009, 06:03
I tell everyone I can to avoid those stupid useless gun show classes like the plague!!
I have heard many stories by many people who have attended them and not learned a thing and fired one shot from a .22 not even AT a target to qualify.

I personally in Orlando recommend East Orange Shooting Sports, but that is a bit far from WPB. I would go with either of the other two people's recommendations (Broward or Miami).

If you think I am exaggerating ask 5 people who took the gun show class how informative it was and if they would recommend it, then do the same for people who took a local class from a shop that tries to do it right instead of just "cranking em through".

I think it depends more on the instructor than the location (gun show or elsewhere). I took a "gunshow class" at a Jacksonville show many years ago. I really didn't expect anything from the class other than for it to satisfy the state's requirements. The class covered the basics of firearms safety, briefly covered the laws involved with carrying a weapon and use of deadly force, and then we actually fired somewhere around 20 shots at full size silhouette targets at maybe 3yds. I'd never shot at targets so close.

If you just want the permit, a gunshow class is fine.

If you want to be taught some concealed carry shooting skills, find a qualified instructor and get some real training.

djegators
04-17-2009, 21:08
I too didn't expect much from the class, and didn't really care much, as I am a previous ccw holder, who stupidly let it lapse. I am pretty familiar with the subject matter, and just needed a convenient way to get my permit again. I will say I thought tghe class was informative, and the instructor was very knowledgable.