Ted Failon's wife [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ted Failon's wife

Wp.22
04-15-2009, 03:15
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/topstories/topstories/view/20090415-199509/Ted-Failons-wife-fighting-for-life

By Maila Ager
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 16:43:00 04/15/2009

Filed Under: Media, Crime

MANILA, Philippines—The wife of broadcaster Ted Failon is “fighting for her life,” the broadcast giant ABS-CBN said in a statement Wednesday.

ABS-CBN is reacting to reports that Failon, Ted Etong in real life, and his wife were involved in a shooting incident.

“We appeal to everyone to please respect the privacy of Ted and his family. His wife is fighting for her life,” said Bong Osorio, ABS-CBN head of corporate communications.

Evan N. Payawal
04-15-2009, 03:57
I don't mean to sound insensitive, but I just find it ironic that an outfit like ABS-CBN is calling on us all to "respect the privacy" of their employee.

So how often does ABS-CBN "respect the privacy" of good people, even if it means a hot story?

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/topstories/topstories/view/20090415-199509/Ted-Failons-wife-fighting-for-life

By Maila Ager
INQUIRER.net

Filed Under: Media, Crime

MANILA, Philippines—The wife of broadcaster Ted Failon is “fighting for her life,” the broadcast giant ABS-CBN said in a statement Wednesday.

ABS-CBN is reacting to reports that Failon, Ted Etong in real life, and his wife were involved in a shooting incident.

“We appeal to everyone to please respect the privacy of Ted and his family. His wife is fighting for her life,” said Bong Osorio, ABS-CBN head of corporate communications.

bagito
04-15-2009, 06:14
Failon grilled on wife’s shooting

Incident not yet declared suicide

By Abigail Kwok, Thea Alberto
INQUIRER.net

Filed Under: Crime, Media

MANILA, Philippines—(UPDATE 3) Police said they are not yet ruling the shooting of the wife of television news anchor Ted Failon a suicide despite the discovery of an apparent suicide note.

Superintendent Franklin Mabanag, chief of the Quezon City Police District’s criminal investigation and detection unit quoted the New Era hospital as saying that Trinidad Arteche Etong, 44, is brain dead as of this posting.

Etong was shot in the temple but Mabanag said: “We cannot declare yet at this time that the wound if self-inflicted in the absence of official report from the SOCO [Scene of Crime Operatives].”

He also said it has not been established if Failon, whose real name is Mario Teodoro Failon Etong, was involved in the shooting.

SOCO investigators questioned Failon in his home at number 27, General Aquino Street, Tierra Pura subdivision in Quezon City’s Tandang Sora district early Wednesday evening.

Earlier, ABS-CBN, the network Failon is connected with, confirmed his wife was “fighting for her life” and issued an appeal “to please respect the privacy of Ted and his family.”

Mabanag said initial investigation revealed that Failon's wife was brought to the New Era hospital by the couple's driver, identified only as Glen, her sister, Pamela, and another man, believed to be Failon, before noon for treatment of a gunshot wound in the head.

Mabanag said Failon told investigators that he and his wife had an argument Tuesday night but that they had settled their differences the next morning.

Failon left for his daily morning radio talk show at ABS-CBN but left the station early and was back at his house around 10:20 a.m., Mabanag said.

The broadcaster looked for his wife but she was not in their bedroom. He then tried their daughter’s bedroom but found the door locked.

Opening the room with a key, Failon told investigators that he found his wife in the bathroom, sitting on the toilet bowl.

Quoting the hospital’s description of the gunshot wound, Mabanag said the bullet entered Etong’s head through the left temple and exited through the right.

Mabanag said the incident was apparently not reported immediately.

He also said when they called New Era, the hospital denied they had a patient named Trinidad Etong. It was only when police went there that the hospital confirmed that Etong was confined at its intensive care unit.

Mabanag said that, on reaching Failon’s house, they discovered that the scene of the incident had already been cleaned by the househelp, which he said could constitute a violation of Presidential Decree 1829, or obstruction of justice.

The househelp, Glen and Frida, claimed no one had ordered them to clean the site, Mabanag said.

Investigators also recovered a letter allegedly written by Trinidad inside the room of the couple’s daughter’s. It partly said, “Papa, I’m so sorry, gusto kong magsabi ng totoo pero hindi ko alam kung paano umpisahan. Natatakot ako kaya umalis ako [I want to tell the truth but I don’t know how to start. I was afraid that is why I left]…Sorry, sorry, Mama.”

Asked why they were not ruling the incident a suicide, Mabanag cited “inconsistencies in the statements” of Failon.

Mabanag also noted that, although the entry wound was on the victim’s left temple, the .380 caliber pistol she was shot with was on her right side.

The weapon was licensed but was not covered by a permit to carry, Mabanag said.

He said everyone in the house, including a still unidentified male, would be subjected to paraffin tests, Mabanag said.

Bonifacio Geroche, head of the Tierra Pura security said they were not informed about the shooting and only found out about it when the police arrived at around 4 p.m.

A witness told the Philippine Daily Inquirer (parent company of INQUIRER.net) he saw Failon leaving the hospital emergency room around 1 p.m. in a bloodied polo shirt and wearing a surgical mask to avoid identification by policemen and reporters posted outside.

He then left on a blue Pajero with plate number NPE-293.

The gardener of a neighbor of Failon's said that before noon, he saw the broadcaster in a bloodied shirt as he was about to board the Pajero in his garage with another woman crying. But he did not see Failon’s wife.

He said he did not hear any gunshots coming from Failon's concrete house with glass windows and landscaped yard.

Police investigators were only able to interview witnesses in the hospital and got the address of Failon at around 4 p.m., more than five hours after the shooting took place. They also said the Pajero was cleaned and newly washed.
With reports from Maila Ager, INQUIRER.net, Nancy Carvajal, Inquirer

edtf
04-15-2009, 06:42
May her soul rest in peace

New_comer
04-15-2009, 09:01
Mukhang Bersa 380 ang ginamit

New_comer
04-15-2009, 10:28
oops... ppk pala

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=458088

g17green
04-15-2009, 10:41
Alam natin mga sirs na pag mahihirap na tao ang pinangyarihan ng ganito,,, pinagpipistahan ng media, at they are very brave para patawan ka kaagad ng kasalanan na di pa napapatunayang ikaw ang may gawa,,, kasama na jan ang mga side comments nila "ON AIR" pero pag sila na ang nakadisgrasya gusto nila respetuhin muna natin ang "PRIVACY" nila. Haaayyyy ang pilipinas talagang wala nang asenso. Pag mayaman ka lusot ka pag mahirap ka sabit ka, sabit ka na, lulupaan ka pa nila,,, without knowing the real story behind.

Kaiser Soze
04-15-2009, 11:28
I don't mean to sound insensitive, but I just find it ironic that an outfit like ABS-CBN is calling on us all to "respect the privacy" of their employee.

So how often does ABS-CBN "respect the privacy" of good people, even if it means a hot story?

I agree with you Evan, 100%. How many times have we seen them put a microscope on murders, rapes, etc without any regard for the victim or the accused?

dbiggershot
04-15-2009, 15:43
i do agree with the process done by CIDU and SOCO, dapat talaga isalang sa lahat ng investigation si Failon, tama kayo kung iba katindi niya tumira ng mga masasamang komento, ngayon at siya na ang nadungisan e gusto privacy... Too obvious that it might have a foul play.. i cant imagine a litterate wife of his can barely write a good suicide note, at lahat may "PO", ano yun, si "katulong" ang nagsulat????.. well sana ma-solve ng SOCO, and im sure they realyy have waited this tyoe of case, lalot ang taong involve e siya yung kahilig bumatikos..

VICARA
04-15-2009, 16:14
this is the guy that says the final word on their newscasting?..something like "Naglilingkod sa inyo saan man sa mundo". I read somewhere he is a pro-gun?

News items from Inquirer and Manila Times, even if you're not that CSI-type-kinda guy, makes you think theres something fishy here: fast good clean up job of the scene, and then the vehicle too. (sino maka isip maglinis ng kotse when somebody just get shot?), and somebody mentioned bullet entry point is from the left while the victim is right handed...and the 5 hrs elapsed before medical attention was rendered...tsaka yung sulat kuno, hindi naman ata suicide note ang dating, paalam lang na lumayas sandali to cool off.

assuming tutuo lahat yan, he's in hot water indeed! marami pa version nito in the coming days. abangan natin!

Allegra
04-15-2009, 17:56
Daming ted failon fans dito :) joke
What goes around, comes around.....media attention I mean

isuzu
04-15-2009, 17:59
Was she left or right-handed?

I agree with what Evan said. If it's their own, they're willing to sweep everything under the rug.

I also agree with Vicara's observations. Despite of the chaos happening on their family, somebody thought of "cleaning up."

Allegra
04-15-2009, 17:59
Alam natin mga sirs na pag mahihirap na tao ang pinangyarihan ng ganito,,, pinagpipistahan ng media, at they are very brave para patawan ka kaagad ng kasalanan na di pa napapatunayang ikaw ang may gawa,,, kasama na jan ang mga side comments nila "ON AIR" pero pag sila na ang nakadisgrasya gusto nila respetuhin muna natin ang "PRIVACY" nila. Haaayyyy ang pilipinas talagang wala nang asenso. Pag mayaman ka lusot ka pag mahirap ka sabit ka, sabit ka na, lulupaan ka pa nila,,, without knowing the real story behind.

akala ko mayaman ang pinag pipistahan ng media?
who wants to hear the domestic problems ng mga poor?
walang ma attack and collect kasi

hannibal357
04-15-2009, 18:10
No less than the Vice-President of the Republic of the Philippines was on the crime scene.

We were not born yesterday to think that our PNP investigators would not be influenced or swayed by his presence there.

Wp.22
04-15-2009, 18:17

I agree with what Evan said. If it's their own, they're willing to sweep everything under the rug.

I also agree with Vicara's observations. Despite of the chaos happening on their family, somebody thought of "cleaning up."

she's left handed.

ABS has already started the damage control imagine the top executives of ABS and VP noli are at his house while Mr. Etong is being investigated by the police. I hope VP noli came as friend not as the VP of the country.

On the late night SNN program Boy abunda and kris aquino told teh viewers that the victim was shot from right temple but on the earlier report from TV patrol and DZMM reporters and GMA news that it was from left to right.

While on TV patrol karen davila is asking field reporter gretchen malalad if she has a copy of the alleged suicide note. ( ano yun pwede photocopy ang evidence)

edtf
04-15-2009, 18:28

said to be left handed but there was something about finding the gun on the right.
YUP!!!! clean bathroom and clean car. Just imagine your wife was shot and you are waiting word in the hospital but have your house and car cleaned - hmm......

Wasn't he reportedly being convinced by the opposition to run for senator.

I'm sure the cops will do a thorough job - To many people watching PLUS he wasn't well loved by the PNP

ppts799
04-15-2009, 20:00
yes, from what i heard, the gun was found in her right hand. i also heard somewhere (cant remember where) that statistics show women do not shoot themselves in the head. they are more of the pill overdose or jumping off a building type.

speaking of . . . what happened to the son of sen. miriam? parang everybody just kept quite, didn't agree to autopsy and everything was forgotten na.

with that, let's wait for the side of ted muna to know all sides of the story. :)

MERCMADE
04-15-2009, 21:30
ironic , wife of a person who's taken a side against guns and gun owners getting shot, with their gun.

choi_tan2000
04-15-2009, 22:25
sana maka survive yung victim

god bless

lagpok
04-15-2009, 23:58
sana maka survive yung victim

god bless

Amen to that sir...

atmarcella
04-16-2009, 01:10
bumalabs si ted...

hannibal357
04-16-2009, 01:38
The daughter was interviewed this morning by korina sanchez, she said that her mother is a fighter and that she is not giving up, meaning she is "willing" herself to survive.

teka... i thought she tried to commit suicide but now she's fighting to survive... maybe she is, to get justice!

ppts799
04-16-2009, 02:33
but brain dead na daw. IIRC that pretty much means dead.

Clusterbomb
04-16-2009, 03:09
Respect their privacy?

Bakit pag ordinaryong tao, pati yung pagsampal ng biktima sa suspek sa presinto kinukunan nila? Bakit yung pag-raid sa loob ng pasilyo at barung-barong at pagkaladkad ng pulis sa suspect nako-cover nila?

Now Ted Failon will know how it is to be on prime time TV- not as the one who brings the news but the one who is IN news.

kontra
04-16-2009, 04:48
RESPECT THEIR PRIVACY??? all of a sudden, they know what it means. would they use the term "exclusive" to their news coverage on this?

i hope the wife will recover. so we may know the truth and so that she can have a second chance in life.

g17green
04-16-2009, 07:10
Malabo na mangyari yung katotohanan diyan. even if the wife survives this. syempre si Vp si ABS si managers will try to cover up failon. para naman hindi madungisan ang pangalan nila. syempre friend is a friend. Pero teka.... diba laging binabanatan ni ted si madam gma dun sa program nila korina dati. ung late night program nila... Naku baka si madam gma naman ang gumanti ke ted. Lagooooot....

kcboy
04-16-2009, 07:20
the wife already died today, so i guess it is homicide wea re looking at if ted really planned it.

mistahglock17
04-16-2009, 07:46
.... diba laging binabanatan ni ted si madam gma dun sa program nila korina dati. ung late night program nila... Naku baka si madam gma naman ang gumanti ke ted. Lagooooot....

Well, thats an Icing on the Cake for President Arroyo and her corrupt gang. :steamed:

I personally do not like Ted Failon pero bilib ako sa banat nya sa Pension Fund Scam, Pertelizer Scam, FG Scams and of course... the useless DOE Angelo "Tanga" Reyes na di alam kung paano gagawin trabaho nya or baka may tongpats na sya evertime the big 3 Oil companies increases the price of their oil products.

Goodluck to Ted and hope he can clear or settle his case and come back to his radio program.

My condolence to you Ted and may your wife's soul rest in peace.

hannibal357
04-16-2009, 08:02
RIP Mrs. Etong.
I hope that justice will prevail.

hannibal357
04-16-2009, 08:05
the wife already died today, so i guess it is homicide wea re looking at if ted really planned it.

If it was planned, then its premeditated, therefore it should be murder and not just homicide.

9MX
04-16-2009, 08:11
ironic , wife of a person who's taken a side against guns and gun owners getting shot, with their gun.

agree. iirc, ted was into practical shooting for a while, i think he even made a tv commercial with practical shooting as the plot

9MX
04-16-2009, 08:13
RESPECT THEIR PRIVACY??? all of a sudden, they know what it means. would they use the term "exclusive" to their news coverage on this?

korek!

9MX
04-16-2009, 08:16
listening to the news on the way home. i'm disturbed with how the arrests were done. col. mabanag is insisting that they're doing the right thing and sa fiscal na lang daw idispute.

does this mean some cop can arrest me for "obstruction of justice" tapos sa fiscal na lang ako magreklamo? eh paano kung hindi ako sa fiscal diniretso?

no offense to saki and rsaki, they are my friends.

i'm just saying....

cznayr
04-16-2009, 09:57
listening to the news on the way home. i'm disturbed with how the arrests were done. col. mabanag is insisting that they're doing the right thing and sa fiscal na lang daw idispute.

does this mean some cop can arrest me for "obstruction of justice" tapos sa fiscal na lang ako magreklamo? eh paano kung hindi ako sa fiscal diniretso?

no offense to saki and rsaki, they are my friends.

i'm just saying....

Martial law trick na yang obstruction of justice to justify warrantless arrest..

Abusado yung mga pulis na yun...

MERCMADE
04-16-2009, 11:02
Martial law trick na yang obstruction of justice to justify warrantless arrest..

Abusado yung mga pulis na yun...

ni hindi na basahan ng miranda rights

VICARA
04-16-2009, 17:01
latest news dito, the wife already passed away. Ano na po balita diyan?
The husband is now officially a suspect and is now in custody?

ok, lets hear Failon's version of what happened. I'm sure he will get his chance. Huwag lang sana ito matatabunan...as usual.

kontra
04-16-2009, 17:19
nothing against Ted Failon. i am not a fan of his and i also do not despise him. neutral lang kung baga. i really hope that the truth and justice prevails. it is the way abs-cbn is playing or using him and the power of the media to mentally condition people that irritates me. i saw in the news last night, a segment about Ted. it is like he is the person who is about to die. they made some sort of a tribute to him.

about the pnp. again, they showed how "professional" they are in arresting and handling cases like this. my blood boiled upon seeing how they arrested the household help and the driver.

no offense to our brothers in uniform in this forum. as i always say, there are still some good police around.

iMD
04-16-2009, 17:56
heard the testimony of Trina Etong's sister last night and she was telling Ces Drilon that it was really suicide daw....and based on the way they talk to each other, mukhang mahilig talaga mag "po" itong si Trina...so this explains why her letter was full of "po" plus the note was made in front of the sister. this statement + negative gun powder burns on Ted pretty much favors him to be absolved.....just my two cents though:whistling:

p.s.
was just informed...may bagong suspect na daw???....yung kapatid na lalaki daw ni Trina...medyo gumugulo na ah:dunno:

Wp.22
04-16-2009, 18:27
agree. iirc, ted was into practical shooting for a while, i think he even made a tv commercial with practical shooting as the plot

this is with the late frankie evangelista for the tanduay commercial. Drinking and shooting perfect combination

9MX
04-16-2009, 18:53
this is with the late frankie evangelista for the tanduay commercial. Drinking and shooting perfect combination

yun nga!

choi_tan2000
04-16-2009, 19:12
rest in peace for trina etong, i hope everything will be just and fair to all concern.

be it to victim or suspects. a fair and impartial investigation is necessary on this case para di naman gumulo. if the initial suspects is guilty so be it but they should be treated fairly, if our police can do this kind of aroogance and brutality, what more on cases that we dont see mostly. kawawa naman mamayan. masyado atang puno ng emosyon ang mga coronel natin eh di ba dapat sila magpakita ng pag kamahinahon sa mga ranks nila.

hope this will not be a lesson not only to ted and ted's family but for all of us na pwede rin mangyari sa atin ito.

wala sana personalan

choi_tan2000
04-16-2009, 19:54
for now, what i think the PNP should do for now (SOCO) is to reconstruct the crime scene and look for other possible clues and evidences on the scene. just my two cents.

i heard that NBI is stepping in on the case, i am happy for it sana makatulong sa development ng case para lumabas ang totoo. if somebody is guilty? somebody should be in jail, if none so the case should be closed so there will be real peace on the victims soul.

Kaiser Soze
04-16-2009, 20:11
for now, what i think the PNP should do for now (SOCO) is to reconstruct the crime scene and look for other possible clues and evidences on the scene. just my two cents.

i heard that NBI is stepping in on the case, i am happy for it sana makatulong sa development ng case para lumabas ang totoo. if somebody is guilty? somebody should be in jail, if none so the case should be closed so there will be real peace on the victims soul.

Looking for clues and evidence will be hard since the crime scene was cleaned and the car used to bring her was detailed.

choi_tan2000
04-16-2009, 20:44
Looking for clues and evidence will be hard since the crime scene was cleaned and the car used to bring her was detailed.

well agree with you sir KS,

but they cant stop from there, maybe on times like this they should be more prudent and more investigative. i hope that even if it is cleaned already there is still be some tiny evidence there. patience patience patience..

hope with some new technology in crime investigation could help.

flash1919
04-16-2009, 21:33
well agree with you sir KS,

but they cant stop from there, maybe on times like this they should be more prudent and more investigative. i hope that even if it is cleaned already there is still be some tiny evidence there. patience patience patience..

hope with some new technology in crime investigation could help.

sa csi, kahit nilinis na, kaya pa makita ang mga blood stains, using uv light and some chemicals, sana ganun sa totoong buhay!

Wp.22
04-16-2009, 21:39
sa csi, kahit nilinis na, kaya pa makita ang mga blood stains, using uv light and some chemicals, sana ganun sa totoong buhay!

esp pa natuyo yung blood ang hirap linisin kita pa rin droplets. Na experience ko tio nung good friday na talsikan ng dugo yung auto ko nung umaga nung linisin pagdating sa gabi nandoon pa rin yung mga stains.

ppts799
04-16-2009, 22:11
....and based on the way they talk to each other, mukhang mahilig talaga mag "po" itong si Trina...so this explains why her letter was full of "po" plus the note was made in front of the sister. :dunno:

the other version was it's not "PO" but "PA", short of PAPA. so may konting inconsistency pa sa explanations nila.

horge
04-16-2009, 22:22
Throroughly "cleaning" a scene is a difficult job for professionals, and nigh-impossible
for mere household help. If SOCO can't find traces of Mrs.' Etong's blood in the
bathroom, it suggests that wasn't where she was shot.

The same applies to a lesser extent, to the vehicle she was allegedly transported in.
Assuming there was a different vehicle used, why hide it, unless the vehicle was also
the scene of the crime, or the source of embarrassment?

I'm a big fan of the .380, and have some knowledge of its terminal performance.
Unless Mrs' Etong had a delicate skull, I have trouble believing the early reports
(correct me if I'm misinformed) that the bullet penetrated the cranium through
and through --no bullet to study for forensics.

Bottom line is that without the bullet to study, the claim that Mrs. Etong was
shot with a .380 is hearsay. A 9mm entry wound would be hard to differentiate,
and 9mm would be more likely to get through the cranial wall TWICE.

If we discard the testimony of dubious eyewitnesses and suspects...
We don't really know where or when Mrs' Etong was shot, or what she was shot
with, or who shot her. All we have is a curious absence of evidence, and the fact
of her injuries.

JM2P,
h.

edtf
04-16-2009, 22:51
Geeezzz this thing is turning out to be such a circus!

Watch the policemen handle the situation - now they have a PR nightmare due to the heavy handedness done in front of the media.

Watch ABS-CBN say respect the privacy of Ted. But it was one of their reporters who broke out the news that Ted shot his wife minutes after the new came out???? Corina saying on live air - ito chismis lang ha pero meron nagsasabi na higher ups of PNP gave a directive to not let Ted get away with it - chismis lang ha. ABS-CBN is acting as it is an exclusive topic for them. With their newscast teams interviewing and feeding relatives of Trina.

Watch everyone get into it - de Lima, Acosta, Erap, Gonzales

Only in the pilipins....

edtf
04-16-2009, 22:58
Throroughly "cleaning" a scene is a difficult job for professionals, and nigh-impossible
for mere household help. If SOCO can't find traces of Mrs.' Etong's blood in the
bathroom, it suggests that wasn't where she was shot.

The same applies to a lesser extent, to the vehicle she was allegedly transported in.
Assuming there was a different vehicle used, why hide it, unless the vehicle was also
the scene of the crime, or the source of embarrassment?

I'm a big fan of the .380, and have some knowledge of its terminal performance.
Unless Mrs' Etong had a delicate skull, I have trouble believing the early reports
(correct me if I'm misinformed) that the bullet penetrated the cranium through
and through --no bullet to study for forensics.

Bottom line is that without the bullet to study, the claim that Mrs. Etong was
shot with a .380 is hearsay. A 9mm entry wound would be hard to differentiate,
and 9mm would be more likely to get through the cranial wall TWICE.

If we discard the testimony of dubious eyewitnesses and suspects...
We don't really know where or when Mrs' Etong was shot, or what she was shot
with, or who shot her. All we have is a curious absence of evidence, and the fact
of her injuries.

JM2P,
h.

Question is - Is SOCO competent enough to find the small traces of blood or other evidences???

Hey Horge - I was thinking of this too. Same thoughts on Car and bathroom. Very possible she was shot in a different location.- but conspiracy theory na tayo niyan :supergrin: The one I missed was the .380 theory - that is a good angle!

horge
04-16-2009, 23:56
SOCO is good enough to be able to state definitively if she was shot there.
I don't know if they're strong enough, however, after the Vice President
himself has deigned to show support for his old partner in crime.
:upeyes: :upeyes: :upeyes:

atmarcella
04-17-2009, 00:07
i have doubts abouts soco's capabilities, but thats just me, what do i know. IMO its suicide, but..... marami talaga kaaway si ted na lispu!

Wp.22
04-17-2009, 01:05
Will ABS drop ted like a hot potato in the near future. My opinion is ABS is not there to help ted but to protect the name of ABS. Sa lahat ng balita kasi bago isulat ang name ni ted eh una muna yung ABS-CBN.

kristiansen
04-17-2009, 02:22
if the bathroom was cleaned by the househelp,surely they did not use their bare hands so there must be a rag or a brush etc.somewhere .or maybe they throw them also.

re paraffin test,since maybe we are the only country using this obsolete method,why can't the PNP use other method (s).

yes,PNP must do damage control on what they did on tv.reading of miranda rights?ow c'mon. i also have an experience dealing with police there in karingal and it was not good.now i try to avoid any policeman.with all due respect to our good officers here in BOG.

re hold departure order for ted.this maybe a world record for our DOJ.think about all those personalities in scams here.

re customs officials, ahhhh,off topic sorry.

ans3288
04-17-2009, 08:06
negative for powder burns for both wife and husband? so what gives? unreliable paraffin test? or both of them didn't fire the gun?

cznayr
04-17-2009, 09:48
negative for powder burns for both wife and husband? so what gives? unreliable paraffin test? or both of them didn't fire the gun?

Considering na there's a long gap from the shooting to the time they were processed for the test, it's possible na nalinis... especially for the wife, remember nasa hospital yun, so there's a possibility na nalinis..

nanggagalaiti ako dun sa mga pulis, pinipilit yung warrantless arrest...

9MX
04-17-2009, 09:59

dun ako sa unreliable test. matagal nang obsolete ang paraffin test

VICARA
04-17-2009, 10:54
i saw 'em on TV last night one cop grabbing and pushing one suspect into a car. Ang 'lastog' ng mamang pulis! I had a same experience in my younger years and it left a bad taste in my mouth, after all these years 'kala ko wala na. Hindi ko rin nilalahat because I know we have good cops in the house but pag nasikmurahan ka ng isang lasing na pulis, then u know what i mean. I was then a short 105-lb skinny youngster barely started college, a weakling...I still am. sorry guys na OT ako.

Watching the younger sister of the victim, it looks like the wife is in a problematic situation. She claims that she was present when the letter was written. Negative powder trace on Failon will somehow clear him up a bit. I hope his sister-in-law will shed light to all our 'maling hinala' . And for all the cops who know nothing about proper protocol in picking up people of interest, suspect or otherwise...one day, tatanda ka rin kayo! magkaka-arthritis, lalabo din mata niyo!

ans3288
04-17-2009, 16:56
imagine warantless arrests right in front of the TV cams!

i was discussing this with my friend studying law, he said that even if there was an act of wrongdoing, charge it in court, di pwede dampot without warrant, kasi no personal knowledge to belief and police officer na may criminal act so di pwede iyon.

obstruction of justice? two kinds daw, ommission and overt. ommission, witholding info. overt, obvious. di naman nakita ng mga pulis yung act of cleaning itself, so how can they justify warrantless arrest daw? ganon ka-galing ang mga pulis natin sa proper procedure, it may be tedious, but its designed to protect citizens...

horge
04-17-2009, 16:59
i saw 'em on TV last night one cop grabbing and pushing one suspect into a car.

Yeah, some of those cops were some special kind of bastard, give a
bad name to all LEO's and ought to be removed from the force outright,
then charged with assault.

WRT to the case, I like to treat ALL testimony as suspect, and stick to
forensic evidence. Apparently the only forensic evidence is the head injury.
No bullet, no GSR, no crime scene evidence.

When there is no forensic evidence to be found, at locations where
testimony indicates there should be, then that validates my distrust.

h.

ans3288
04-17-2009, 16:59
granting paraffin test is unreliable, then it means that it cant be used to clear/convict anyone in this case. if police suspect ted failon and clear the misis firing the gun, then its a case of subjective judgement na, kasi both tested negative for powder burns.

i heard over the radio last night, one forensic expert was already campaigning for adopoting new measures for testing gun powder residue, and UP students did a study daw and tested 40 people who fired guns and only 2 tested positive under paraffin test.

kristiansen
04-17-2009, 22:16
the chief of QCPD was interviewed on ANC yesterday afternoon and he said that if Ted's wife were positive for paraffin test then the case would have been closed.i love this guy!

4 QC policemen relieved but not the chief QCPD? if they can do that to a hi profile case,what more to ordinary Filipinos?

stinger030
04-17-2009, 23:46
clean room and clean car....as kristiansen mentined, they must have used something to clean it. SOCO must be looking at the wrong scene or were misled in the first place. Where were those cleaning tools they've used? There should be some traces of blood in the sink or drain pipes in the house. kung doon din nila hinugasan ang mga ginamit nila

re the househelp not hearing any gunshot, i doubt it. Ganun ba ka soundproof bahay ni ted?

kristiansen
04-17-2009, 23:52
Editorial
Suicide

Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 23:33:00 04/17/2009

AFTER watching the way the police have been handling the investigation of the death of Trinidad Arteche Etong, ABS-CBN news anchor Ted Failon’s wife, Filipinos have reason to be afraid -- very afraid -- of their so-called protectors.

From the time the Quezon City police began working on the case, it was clear they wanted to pin down Failon in a murder charge.

With little to go on but a fertile imagination, Superintendent Frank Mabanag, chief of the Quezon City Police District’s Criminal Investigation and Detection Unit, theorized that Etong could have been killed in their Pajero and brought up to the bathroom where Failon claimed to have found her lying in a pool of blood.

Right in his own house, Failon was made to undergo a paraffin test as police investigators gleefully posed behind him for souvenir photos.

Even as Etong was undergoing emergency treatment for a bullet wound to her head, the police “invited” Failon to submit to an investigation that would drag through the night up to the early hours of morning.

Eight hours later, the investigators finally let him go.

But soon after that, Mabanag announced that a “manhunt” had been launched for the broadcaster who, it turned out, had just gone back to the hospital to be with his wife.

When the paraffin test yielded a negative result, a gentler and more humane police force would have taken it as a cue to ease up a bit and give Failon, his kin and his household some space to rest and maybe try to come to terms with the tragedy.

But no, the frustrating outcome seemed only to have roused the Quezon City police to intensify their persecution of everyone closely or remotely involved in the case.

In a series of operations, policemen arrested first, Failon’s two maids, his driver and a utility man, and later, two of his in-laws.

Especially brutal was the arrest of Failon’s sister-in-law, Pamela Trinchera, who was dragged protesting and screaming out of the hospital where her sister was being treated.

The police recommended that all, except Failon’s brother-in-law, be charged with obstruction of justice, an offense the police were hard put to define.

The four house help stand accused of tampering with evidence because they cleaned up the bathroom where Etong was reportedly found and the car in which Etong was brought to the hospital.
All claimed they did it on their own (to spare Failon’s younger daughter the trauma of seeing her mother’s blood, according to the maids) and without any intention of hiding a crime.

It seems not to have occurred to the investigators that if indeed Etong died by her own hand -- a possibility they say they have not ruled out -- then no crime was committed, in which case they will have to explain what kind of evidence was tampered with -- evidence of a non-crime, perhaps?

The case against Trinchera (which the prosecutor mercifully dismissed) was even curiouser.

The police wanted her charged for blocking a procedure that the policemen themselves described as inconclusive.

That was what they said when the paraffin test on Failon yielded a negative result.

Why did they insist on doing a test that has been discredited (according to one forensic expert) on a woman who was fighting for her life?

It is not for us to say whether Etong’s death was suicide or murder.

What we can say is that what the Quezon City police have done is an overkill.

Chief Superintendent Roberto Rosales, the National Capital Region police chief, says the investigation is being conducted carefully and by the book.

But as crime investigations go, this one has been going at lightning speed for a police force that remains clueless about assassinations of two Cabinet undersecretaries, not to mention the murders of scores of journalists and activists.

It is clear that the investigators are rushing to implicate anyone and everyone on anything, and especially Failon if they can.

And the reason is obvious: Failon has been a thorn in the side of the Quezon City police, with his biting radio commentaries on the rubout of suspected car thieves on EDSA a couple of months ago and the recent upsurge of carjacking cases in the city.

This is sweet revenge for some city police officers, and they don’t care who gets hurt.

Neither do they care if the whole nation watches as they wage their vendetta in the glare of television cameras.

Their message to the media and the public is unmistakable: Don’t mess with us or else...

Perhaps it is time Filipinos began to ask whether they should continue to support with their taxes an organization that is going berserk.

Continuing to do so is beginning to look like suicide.

bul45
04-18-2009, 03:49
the police know they can get away with anything and everything because they know the present administration needs their unquestioning obedience and blind loyalty in subjugating the people. sila ang mga doberman ni madam kasi. during marcos' time, it was the military. :steamed:

atmarcella
04-18-2009, 07:20
i am afraid.... of the people in charge of protecting us. dati mas takot ako sa masamang tao. ngayon pareho silang kinakatakotan ko.

mtho
04-18-2009, 11:23
i thought me slug na silang nakita? diba innocent until proven guilty. bakit ganun sila magtrato ng tao? di ba grounds for case dismissal yung mishandling ng case na ganun?

VICARA
04-18-2009, 12:39
i heard all the cops involved were dismissed. Or being investigated by their superiors and will be reinstated later? IMO, the police would have been better off without Mabanag calling the shots, so dapat tanggal din siya. What 'manhunt' is he talking about. And wheres the NBI, I thought they are taking over.

At this point, nobody knows who is the guilty party although i have reason to believe, early news items tend to pin something and everything on the convenient suspect(s). All I know is, those freaking cops display excessive behaviors, arrogance, even showy, in the presence of cameras. might be true, sweet revenge on Failon indeed!

Now imagine if a suspect is regular Juan delaCruz, Bugbug sarado na yan at nasa Munti na!

9MX
04-18-2009, 18:22
the chief of QCPD was interviewed on ANC yesterday afternoon and he said that if Ted's wife were positive for paraffin test then the case would have been closed.i love this guy!

4 QC policemen relieved but not the chief QCPD? if they can do that to a hi profile case,what more to ordinary Filipinos?

correct!

they just increased ted's chances of grabbing a senate seat next year.

needs improvement pa din ang pnp pagdating sa PR

alphaq
04-18-2009, 21:33
As Pinoys love the underdog... They just made Ted Failon a senator...

atmarcella
04-19-2009, 02:42
i was at my mothers bedside when she was dying. is it important? words cannot express how important it is. i do not care about warrantless arrest. they can do it after the sister/wife/mother is declared dead. pero for HUMANITARIAN reasons man lang sana nagmamakaawa ang mga kapatid sana pagbigyan nila. tapos yun ang ginawa nila. kung hindi sila human ano sila?

monster?

i_am_infinity
04-19-2009, 09:47
i was at my mothers bedside when she was dying. is it important? words cannot express how important it is. i do not care about warrantless arrest. they can do it after the sister/wife/mother is declared dead. pero for HUMANITARIAN reasons man lang sana nagmamakaawa ang mga kapatid sana pagbigyan nila. tapos yun ang ginawa nila. kung hindi sila human ano sila?

monster?

i think HAYOP fits Mabanag....

choi_tan2000
04-19-2009, 19:17
sometimes even if the case is good and have good evidences eh nasasayang because of the credibility of officers handling the cases. like in the case of manabag he is now handling this case while CHR is investigating an alledge rubout case against this group (CIDG) sometimes it is realy hard for the ordinary filipinos to understand this kind of situations eh. then taga media pa involve so lalu nang gumulo usapan. specialy when the police who should protect the people are the one using excesive force and arrogance.

Pepe G Boy
04-19-2009, 21:54
A similar incident happened in our neighborhood. A girl committed suicide... the parents brought her to the hospital...the help cleaned the room.
EXCEPT THAT... Police never went to the house to investigate. Nobody was charged with anything.

If Ted was not a media personality, I don't think the police would have investigated.

MERCMADE
04-19-2009, 23:08
As Pinoys love the underdog... They just made Ted Failon a senator...

condolence to ted but some "people" did comment that he was awfully calm even if he was a suspect in the death of his wife (assuming he is innocent). Inspite of his tragedy was he riding on the publicity?

Wp.22
04-23-2009, 18:03
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/nation/view/20090424-201120/Media-critics-score-ABS-CBN-coverage

Media critics score ABS-CBN coverage

By Alcuin Papa
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 03:43:00 04/24/2009

Filed Under: Ted Failon, Media, Police, Suicide, Crime

MANILA, Philippines—When reporting about a “Kapamilya” caught in a personal tragedy and a legal fix, how did ABS-CBN fare in the eyes of media industry critics?

For Vergel Santos, veteran journalist and chair of the Center for Media Freedom and Responsibility (CMFR), the broadcast giant showed “a fraternal bias” for its top news anchor Ted Failon in its coverage of his wife’s violent death and the ensuing police investigation.

ABS-CBN seemed to have adopted a policy of questioning everything that the police said, according to CMFR Executive Director Melinda Quintos de Jesus.

This led to a “polarization” between Failon’s family and the authorities. “So the viewer could not decide what made sense in the incident.”

Luis Teodoro, former dean of the University of the Philippines’ College of Mass Communication, shared the view: “It was a bit overdone especially on the part of ABS-CBN. There were stories that were repeated.”

Failon (born Mario Teodoro Failon Etong) was tagged as one of the suspects by the Quezon City police early in its investigation into the death of his wife Trinidad Etong.

Trinidad was found shot in the head inside the Etongs’ Quezon City home on April 15. She died in the hospital a day later.

Suicide or foul play?

The probe has since centered on whether her death was a suicide, as maintained by Failon, or a result of foul play. Two private forensic experts tapped by Failon to join the police autopsy have supported the suicide angle.

Failon was charged, along with a sister-in-law and four househelpers, with obstruction of justice after investigators learned that the bathroom where the shooting allegedly took place was cleaned up within hours after the incident.

Maria Ressa’s statement

Reached for comment Thursday night, Maria Ressa, head of ABS-CBN News and Public Affairs, said she did not think her network went overboard with the coverage.

“We just followed what the police did. They made the story and like everyone else, we followed what the police said.”

She said it was the police that drove the story from being a suicide to a murder case.

Ressa also said the fact that Failon was involved in the story was “both a disadvantage and an advantage.”

Failon being an ABS-CBN talent was a disadvantage, she said. On the other hand, it was an advantage because he chose to trust his own network with his statements on the incident.

“Like everyone else, we were outside of the story and struggling to cover it as it changed day-to-day,” Ressa stressed.

“Definitely, ABS-CBN failed this test,” Santos told the Philippine Daily Inquirer (parent company of INQUIRER.net).

Santos said the network could have shown “more detachment and more professionalism. And this should apply to other media entities.”

Failon’s mother studio, for example, was “so concerned about getting across the story that he tested negative” in the paraffin test, Santos noted.

Teodoro said the ABS-CBN coverage appeared skewed in favor of Failon since he’s one of its top-rating talents and because he “is one of media’s own.”

Test for media

“The coverage raises questions on whether we can extend that same attention if it (involved) other people. It was a test for media to provide the appropriate coverage without any kind of special treatment,” Teodoro said.

The media in general, however, scored on the “positive side” when it vividly exposed the way police conducted its investigation of the Etong shooting, Teodoro said.

He was referring to TV news footage capturing how an arrest party from the Quezon City police violently dragged Failon’s sister-in-law, brother-in-law and members of his household to the prosecutor’s office for inquest in connection with the obstruction charge.

“It showed that we still have problems with the police,” Teodoro said.

“The coverage showed unusual assiduousness of police in that arrest,” Santos added.

Overacting cops

De Jesus also scored police for “playing to media” early in the coverage of the incident, noting how it “overacted” when it took members of the Etong household in custody.

“That is inexcusable. Police should have used restraint in dealing with a grieving family,” she added.

“It was a challenging situation, given that there was no clear statements on what happened, even from the family. But media should stay with the facts rather than opinions of investigators,” De Jesus said.