Too much "stuff"? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Too much "stuff"?

Generalcarry
04-16-2009, 14:23
Iíve used: Ccleaner, AVG 8.0 free and On Line Armor for quite a while, and still do. I also defrag and use disk cleanup weekly. Iíve added Smart Defrag, Advanced SystemCare and Malwarebytesí yesterday because this computer seems to be slowing down and frankly thought this may help.
Iím probably pitting one program against another and was wondering what to get rid of or keep. Maybe even something to add.

I maxed the RAM at 4GB but only 2.98 show and I have ~84% of my HD free.
Any suggestions?
Thx

Sgt. Schultz
04-16-2009, 14:50
Iíve used: Ccleaner, AVG 8.0 free and On Line Armor for quite a while, and still do. I also defrag and use disk cleanup weekly. Iíve added Smart Defrag, Advanced SystemCare and Malwarebytesí yesterday because this computer seems to be slowing down and frankly thought this may help.
Iím probably pitting one program against another and was wondering what to get rid of or keep. Maybe even something to add.

I maxed the RAM at 4GB but only 2.98 show and I have ~84% of my HD free.
Any suggestions?
ThxYou are running a 32 bit OS so 3 - 3.2 GB is all Windows will use. What do you have loading when Windows starts?

Generalcarry
04-16-2009, 15:38
I have 14 items on startup if that's what you mean.
Periodically I write everything down (that's checked) in startup and google it to see if it's necessary or not. I will copy them down if that's what you mean.

Generalcarry
04-16-2009, 15:43
If your talking about the icons next to the clock, there are 4 or 5 depending. When I turn on the computer I exit everything I can. I do all the updates manually, and I'm still using SP2.

Sgt. Schultz
04-16-2009, 15:48
I'm talking about Start - Run - MSCONFIG

I have two items loading on systems the I setup and configure, the AntiVirus and Firewall software anything else is just wasting resources.

Generalcarry
04-16-2009, 16:05
I'm talking about Start - Run - MSCONFIG

I have two items loading on systems the I setup and configure, the AntiVirus and Firewall software anything else is just wasting resources.

Wow.... I remember some guy on TV a few years ago Black Vipor(?) who said pretty much the same thing.

That's exactly what I did, MSCONFIG and I have ~14. Things like Webshots, qttask, oaui... Guess I'll have to get more aggressive but , I only "kinda" know what I'm doing.

Sgt. Schultz
04-16-2009, 16:25
A lot of applications add stuff to load at startup, for example printers and scanners load monitoring software that you can do without, QuickTime adds a tray icon (qttask) for ease of access and the list goes on and on Ö

Pierre!
04-16-2009, 19:51
having 2 applications running "scans" or "real time protection" on your system is just beggin for file corruption too, not to mention the massive slow down every time you "touch" a file or make a change to one...

Only 1 "scanner" at a time... same with thermal monitors!

HTH

MavsX
04-17-2009, 05:44
yeah, go into msconfig and uncheck all! well maybe not Norton..but....the others...waste 'em.

Generalcarry
04-17-2009, 06:34
So I'm going to go back into startup and look at those checked items again. Now I know qttask can be unchecked, but as I google the others I can only rely on a few to be explained in terms I recognize. That UNI_Blue tells me nothing, bleeping computer helps at times but it's a hit and miss. Is there 1 site in particular that would help me clean up both PC and my wifes notebook?

Should I eliminate any of the "free add ons" or are they OK?

SKeefe
04-17-2009, 06:45
If you go to Tools and then Startup in CCleaner then it will allow you to easily disable the applications that are starting when you start your computer.

I usually first try to actually go into the programs that are in startup and disable them from starting automatically from within the program's preferences.

jwest46
04-17-2009, 06:48
Is there 1 site in particular that would help me clean up both PC and my wifes notebook?

Good question and I hope you (we) get an answer. The command lines in msconfig are not always clear as to which application they are associated. I have been hesitant to uncheck things as I am not sure how important they are. I have ten or twelve apps running on startup but would bet most are not vital. I may take this question over to some of the tech support forums.

Generalcarry
04-17-2009, 06:59
If you go to Tools and then Startup in CCleaner then it will allow you to easily disable the applications that are starting when you start your computer.

I usually first try to actually go into the programs that are in startup and disable them from starting automatically from within the program's preferences.

That was good, I found 3 right off the bat I knew I could turn off with no ill effects.

RaiderRodney
04-17-2009, 07:10
I also use Webshots...if you disable it then your wallpaper will no longer update :P You could always just use the "My Pictures" screen saver and move your pics there...but it doesn't update your background.

If you can still find it...Pc Mag had a wonderful free program called "startup cop" that did a great job managing startup items ;)

Generalcarry
04-17-2009, 07:14
I also use Webshots...if you disable it then your wallpaper will no longer update :P You could always just use the "My Pictures" screen saver and move your pics there...but it doesn't update your background.

If you can still find it...Pc Mag had a wonderful free program called "startup cop" that did a great job managing startup items ;)

That's good to know and makes sense once you think about it. I thought it would stop all my screen savers, but if I can keep the ones I have until I decide to change, I'm on it!

Linux3
04-17-2009, 07:46
Any suggestions?
Thx
Perhaps I better not say anything but I do wonder why people keep using that OS.

IndyGunFreak
04-17-2009, 08:55
Perhaps I better not say anything but I do wonder why people keep using that OS.

Me and you both.... I have a Windows partition, for when I "must" have Windows, which isn't often... It gets no general use though, and truthfully, I rarely even boot it.

IGF

BigSexy
04-17-2009, 09:16

I have to keep a machine running windows at the house for domestic tranquility. The wife refuses to look at anything "different".

Sgt. Schultz
04-17-2009, 11:13
Good question and I hope you (we) get an answer.

Is there 1 site in particular that would help me clean up both PC and my wifes notebook?

Check out this site ...

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

... under the section "The Programs" click "All Items" look for "If you are a regular visitor, click HERE to go straight to the list..." at the top of the page.

Linux3
04-17-2009, 14:38
I have to keep a machine running windows at the house for domestic tranquility. The wife refuses to look at anything "different".
My wife's computer, maintained by me has Kubuntu 8.04 on it. It's a self defense issue. If you send my wife an email that says "Click here and I will wipe your computer" she would STILL click here just to see what it does. So she uses Kubuntu and doesn't have root access.
And does it really matter? My wife wants to read email, view and send images, surf the web and type and print a few letters. Kubuntu is fine. My parents use it too for the same reasons.

Pierre!
04-17-2009, 21:32
Goto MS site, Search out and download Sysinternals:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx

Download the entire suite. Then install it.

Run the AutoRuns tool... It will scan for a while. When it looks idle, do this:
Select Options
Click on Verify Code Signatures
Click on Hide Signed Microsoft Entries

Then click on the "Refresh" button (second from left) and check out what is running.

Highlight ANY entry, then select Entry on the menu bar, then Search Online, and you should have all the answers you need!

HTH...

PS - If you do have issues downloading and installing the SysInternals Suite, you should really question if you have what it takes. These are great tools, but you need to be a bit savvy to use them effectively. ON the otherhand, if you want to learn about systems. processes, and what is really going on "under the hood" then this is the tool pack you need!!!

Generalcarry
04-18-2009, 04:48
Me and you both.... I have a Windows partition, for when I "must" have Windows, which isn't often... It gets no general use though, and truthfully, I rarely even boot it.

IGF

Just me, but I know the definition of partition and as I see it part of your HD still holds Windows. I have NO idea how to set up a partition be it the size, or where it would reside. I read where with Linux does not use C Drive or E Drive and while I know the function of those drives I don't understand what those drives convert to.
Now, if your talking about buying a computer with Vista (or any OS I have never worked on) and just had to figure out what buttons to push, I'd give that a shot. I have an old Dell windows 98 just for my grandkids I'd convert today if all it took was a layman's working around a new system and NOT setting up parameters or preforming abstract (to me) commands.
If I were to download Linux do I have to buy it?
I've been retired ~8 years and have the time, but I would like to see the time well spent.
Hoped that kinda helped.

Linux3
04-18-2009, 07:45
Just me, but I know the definition of partition and as I see it part of your HD still holds Windows. I have NO idea how to set up a partition be it the size, or where it would reside. I read where with Linux does not use C Drive or E Drive and while I know the function of those drives I don't understand what those drives convert to.
If I were to download Linux do I have to buy it?
I've been retired ~8 years and have the time, but I would like to see the time well spent.
Do you understand about the BIOS? Hardware settings that define some basic actions of your computer before the operating system boots.
A partitions of a hard disk are set and held in firmware on the disk drive. The O.S. reads the partition table and load the O.S. In Windows the first partition is called C: or C drive. A hold over from the days of MS DOS when A: and B: were floppy drives.
C drive is nothing to the hard drive, it is just a Windows term for the first partition on the first drive.
So, with a dual boot system more than one partition is defined on a hard drive, or you can use 2 drives and have one with MS Windows and one with something else, like Linux. Note: I know, I know you can have many partitions and many different O.S.s, I'm trying to keep this simple.
When your computer boots up it first loads a 'bootloader' from the 'MBR' Master Boot Record, on the first track of the first hard disk.
Linux is free. If you were to download Ubuntu from:
http://www.ubuntu.com/
It would be an .iso file that you could burn to a CD.
If you boot your computer from this CD you can run Ubuntu Linux in what is called LiveCD mode. In this mode NOTHING gets installed on your system. Everything runs off the CD, rather slowly, and if you reboot without the CD your system is as it was.
While in LiveCD mode there is an 'Install' icon.
Click that icon and you will have the option to install Ubuntu Linux as a new partition or whole disk. If you selct a new partition it will build a graphical representation of your disk with suggested sizes which you can change. If you have room on your disk Ubuntu will use 'parted', think an Open Source Partition Magic, to make room and add a new partition. You should not lose any data from your C: drive. I have done this many times without problems BUT!!! Murphy is alive and well.
Next Ubuntu will install it self in the new partition and then edit the MBR, you knew I had a reason to mention this, to make the computer dual boot.
When next you reboot you will have an option to either boot Windows or Linux.
Dual booting and LiveCDs are very common well sorted out ways for people to try out Linux.
Now I feel like the Borg.

IndyGunFreak
04-18-2009, 08:27
Just me, but I know the definition of partition and as I see it part of your HD still holds Windows. .

Its pretty simple really.... My PC is the machine that dual boots, and here's the basic setup for it (500gig Hard Drive)

Partition 1... 25gigs - NTFS Filesystem, XP Home

Partition 2... 4gigs - Linux Swap partition... This is just something Linux uses as temporary space.. 4gigs is probably overkill, but the instructions I've always read, have said 1.5-2x your physical memory. Anything over 3gigs,is probably unnecessary.

Partition 3... 50gigs - ext3 filesystem, Main Linux partition (or /)... This is where all programs, etc, get installed.

Partition 4... 400+gigs NTFS-- This is basically just for files, etc. I put my music there, videos, movies, pictures, etc, etc. This makes it where I can access them under either OS, since windows cannot access an ext3 partition (natively anyways).

When I boot my machine, I get a menu asking me to boot Windows or Debian, and I just choose Debian, and away it goes. I boot Windows, maybe 1-2x a month. Only reason I really have it, is I use it to manage my Zune. I just get all my music under Linux, put it on the 400gig partition, and have my Zune software watch there for changes. I boot Windows, update my Zune, then back to Linux.

Most Linux distros handle partitioning very easily, or you can download a great free one called Parted Magic... I don't have the link handy, but its in Al's free software thread. While its not hard to do, and 99.9% of the time, everything goes ok.... IF you're going to partition your drive for any reason, it is important to backup important files, etc.. "just in case", because you are going to be altering the drive, shrinking space, etc..

Ubuntu is a great starter distro, as mentioned above. If you're gonna try Ubuntu, hold off a few days.. 9.04 should be a final stable release in a few days.

IGF

Generalcarry
04-18-2009, 16:55
The picture isn't quite as fuzzy now. I have a question though, can I set up the partitions (as far as storage) on a external HD? Would it be best to put the Windows on the EHD because it already holds a lot of my stuff now? I must have at least 250G or more left.

There wouldn't be partitions for storage, just storage, right?

Big Al 24
04-18-2009, 18:00
The picture isn't quite as fuzzy now. I have a question though, can I set up the partitions (as far as storage) on a external HD? Would it be best to put the Windows on the EHD because it already holds a lot of my stuff now? I must have at least 250G or more left.

There wouldn't be partitions for storage, just storage, right?

If you're going to store stuff on an external drive it would just be storage. I wouldn't put a "system partition" on an external drive if the rest of those partitions are on your primary boot drive.

Generalcarry
04-21-2009, 04:39
On my, and the wife's, computer I'm down to 4 items on start-up. The only feature I HAD to leave on start-up was the best utility, one I use daily and the one recommended in this forum and that's ClipBoard Diary.

I'm going to give Linxus a try this week if things slow down a bit.

Thanks (again) for all your help.

IndyGunFreak
04-21-2009, 04:54
If you're going to store stuff on an external drive it would just be storage. I wouldn't put a "system partition" on an external drive if the rest of those partitions are on your primary boot drive.

I totally agree with that.. Its usually just asking for trouble...

That said... I installed the Release Candidate for Ubuntu 9.04 on my Aspire One last night, and it really seems to be pretty slick. They've fixed the pulse audio bugs (that I can see anyways), my Wireless works out of the box now.. which is great, because my main laptop has the same device, No more hoop jumping w/ madwifi. Its a little "flashier" than what I like, but I've always felt that way about Ubuntu, but thats one of the things that makes it appeal to newbies...

Its still a release candidate, so obviously, if a major bug pops up in the next few days, it could still under go some changes... so I wouldn't recommend it for a total novice, but it appears its gonna be pretty solid.

IGF

IndyGunFreak
04-21-2009, 05:05
I'm going to give Linxus a try this week if things slow down a bit.

I would get some CDR's, and download some Live CD's... that way if its not for you, you haven't really altered your computer.. Here's some good ones I recommend when people ask me what to try....

Ubuntu -- http://osmirrors.cerias.purdue.edu/pub/ubuntu-releases/8.10/ For simplicity sake, I'd download the version that ends in "i386 iso".. Thats the 32bit version, and has better hardware compatibility... Also, don't download the one with Alternate in the file name.. thats simply a text based installer, and won't let you try before you install.

Fedora 9 - http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora (click "Download Now" under Installable Live CD)

OpenSuse -- http://software.opensuse.org/ Again, 32bit, Live CD.

PcLinuxOS -- http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_ionfiles&Itemid=28

Those are 4 good ones to try.. Burn the iso image to a disk, boot the disk, and you can run the OS from the CD, and try it out.... IF you don't know how to burn an ISO.. here's a walkthrough w/ some free utilities...

http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm I've had people tell me the PowerToy one is the best utility they use.... but YMMV.

IGF

Linux3
04-21-2009, 07:08
I installed the Release Candidate for Ubuntu 9.04 on my Aspire One last night, and it really seems to be pretty slick. They've fixed the pulse audio bugs (that I can see anyways), my Wireless works out of the box now.. which is great, because my main laptop has the same device, No more hoop jumping w/ madwifi. Its a little "flashier" than what I like, but I've always felt that way about Ubuntu, but thats one of the things that makes it appeal to newbies..
IGF
At the Ontario LinuxFest
http://onlinux.ca/
In 2008 a guy next to me at a boring class had an Aspire One. Very cool and I think my choice for a Netbook. I don't really NEED a netbookbut what has that got to do with anything.
So, are you still happy with the Aspire One and did you get the Windows version and wipe?
usually the Windows versions of Netbooks are a little better configured and the price isn't bad but I just hate that MS puts a check in the column for a sale when the first thing I wil do is wipe and install Linux.

IndyGunFreak
04-21-2009, 07:22
At the Ontario LinuxFest
http://onlinux.ca/
In 2008 a guy next to me at a boring class had an Aspire One. Very cool and I think my choice for a Netbook. I don't really NEED a netbookbut what has that got to do with anything.
So, are you still happy with the Aspire One and did you get the Windows version and wipe?
usually the Windows versions of Netbooks are a little better configured and the price isn't bad but I just hate that MS puts a check in the column for a sale when the first thing I wil do is wipe and install Linux.

Yeah, I'm very happy with mine...

I got a Windows version, and wiped it. Reason I done this, is because all the Linux versions, came w/ SSD's, that were in the 16-32gig range. I think SSD's are a great idea, but they are a tad slow and to small IMO (i had an eee prior to the AAO). I couldn't find any Linux versions w/ an actual hard drive. So I bought a Windows version, w/ a 160gig hard drive, and its been great. I left the restore partition there in case I ever want to go back to Windows.. but I doubt that will happen.

IGF

Big Al 24
04-22-2009, 00:11
Yeah, I'm very happy with mine...

I got a Windows version, and wiped it. Reason I done this, is because all the Linux versions, came w/ SSD's, that were in the 16-32gig range. I think SSD's are a great idea, but they are a tad slow and to small IMO (i had an eee prior to the AAO). I couldn't find any Linux versions w/ an actual hard drive. So I bought a Windows version, w/ a 160gig hard drive, and its been great. I left the restore partition there in case I ever want to go back to Windows.. but I doubt that will happen.

IGF

What 'nix do you currently run Indy? I think I remember you saying Debian...

IndyGunFreak
04-22-2009, 04:39
What 'nix do you currently run Indy? I think I remember you saying Debian...

Debian 5.0... but I usually use Ubuntu on my AAO, because the wireless is difficult, even w/ madwifi, on Debian (for some reason)... For some reason, every single Linux distribution detects that wireless device different... Some detect it as AR5006B, some as AR5006EB, and some as AR242x. Its a pretty common issue, and it took madwifi a while to catch up and get it under control. For a while, you had to use Madwifi, apply several patches, etc.. to make it work. Since Debian has a fairly slow release cycle, when I set it up on my Laptop, I've not worried about it since...

I still like Ubuntu though, so it really doesn't bother me either way.

IGF

Generalcarry
04-22-2009, 05:43
Debian 5.0... but I usually use Ubuntu on my AAO, because the wireless is difficult, even w/ madwifi, on Debian (for some reason)... For some reason, every single Linux distribution detects that wireless device different... Some detect it as AR5006B, some as AR5006EB, and some as AR242x. Its a pretty common issue, and it took madwifi a while to catch up and get it under control. For a while, you had to use Madwifi, apply several patches, etc.. to make it work. Since Debian has a fairly slow release cycle, when I set it up on my Laptop, I've not worried about it since...

I still like Ubuntu though, so it really doesn't bother me either way.

IGF

Huh?????????? :rofl:

Just kidding.....