My Nov. 08 Bow Buck [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My Nov. 08 Bow Buck

lonestar63
04-16-2009, 20:24
My bow buck from this past season.

Saw this buck during our peak rut on Nov 22nd, hot on the trail of a doe at 7:30 in the morning.

I had 2 tree stands in the area (i was in one of them), but neither was in bow range. There was a fence line that became a Hot trail overnight during the rut. Does were using it to come from a wheat field, heading back to a bedding area in my creek.

Problem was, there was no trees big enough to hand a stand in the area. Lots of brushy mesquite that provided the deer enough cover for them to feel safe traveling in.

I decided at noon that same day to set up a tripod about 25 yards off the trail. I backed it into some briars to give me a backdrop, and i left to let the area settle down.

Got back in it at 3 pm, and at 5:45 the same buck i saw that morning came back thru.

He was in bow range this time. :supergrin:

Slightly quartering toward me, but i stopped him and made a good shot. He only went 40 yards. Aged him at 5 1/2 yrs old.

Antler quality was down this year in my county because of drought conditions. He would have really been something i think if it had been a wetter year.

RJ Schuknecht
04-17-2009, 00:06
Aged him at 5 1/2 yrs old.Nice mature buck lonestar, congratulations.