Outlook 2003 email [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2003 email

engine101
04-17-2009, 12:03
Can somone please tell me the difference between a personal folder and archiving? It does not appear to have any difference except the folder architecture - archive replicates what you have in the mailbox and pst does not it makes you create the folders. So outside of that why use 1 over the other?

Thanks

Arc Angel
04-17-2009, 13:16
An email archive is a, 'catchall'. Stuff can get lost in there. I keep all my really important emails inside a personal, 'Inbox Folder'. If I send someone something important a copy goes into my personal, 'Sent Box' Folder.

Generally speaking I hate archiving; and I, especially, hate the way gmail does it by lumping everything together under, 'All Mail'. It's way too easy to lose things! ;)

Other than this, yeah, you've got the right idea on how everything works.

Oribis
04-17-2009, 14:15
First I have to ask whether or not you use an exchange server, because if you do all your email resides on that server.

However if you dont use exchange, Outlook manages all its mail, contacts, calendar, tasks locally in .PST files. There are size limits to how big a PST file can get, and if you hit it, you can't download anymore mail until you delete mail out or archive it.

What archiving does is separate your emails from your main .PST folder and moves them into another .PST to help manage the bulk. This is a good thing because it helps speed up outlook and keeps it running better.

Sgt. Schultz
04-17-2009, 15:18
The default size limit of a PST file in Outlook 2003 & 2007 is set to 20 GB and there are no issues with performance or stability until that is reached, which is unlikely for the average user. Also in Outlook 2003 & 2007 users can increase the default PST size but it is not recommended ... or very smart, one corrupt file and you can lose all of your mail.

Drjones
04-22-2009, 10:55
Generally speaking I hate archiving; and I, especially, hate the way gmail does it by lumping everything together under, 'All Mail'. It's way too easy to lose things! ;)

In Gmail, if you need to keep track of an important email, put a "star" on it.

Archiving is great because you can keep as many emails as you want but they aren't all cluttering up your inbox. Either click "all mail" to view, well, ALL of your mail ;) or search for whatever you need. You do, after all, have the power of Google Search applied to your email box.

You could also create a label for stuff that is important, then when you click on that label, all of your uber-important emails pop up.

You can't really have THAT hard a time keeping track of important emails in Gmail?

Gmail is the greatest!!!

SKeefe
04-22-2009, 11:13
The default size limit of a PST file in Outlook 2003 & 2007 is set to 20 GB and there are no issues with performance or stability until that is reached, which is unlikely for the average user.
True. Unfortunately, I believe the limit for Office XP is only 2GB, which is definitely attainable (especially by people who don't delete old mail).

Sgt. Schultz
04-22-2009, 14:07
True. Unfortunately, I believe the limit for Office XP is only 2GB, which is definitely attainable (especially by people who don't delete old mail).You are correct, Outlook 97 - 2000 the maximum PST size is 2 GB however the OP was asking about Outlook 2003.