Possibly moving to MD for new job [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Possibly moving to MD for new job

RWBlue
04-17-2009, 16:58
Well I have been told I am at the top of the list, so....I may get an offer. If I get an offer what should I expect?

Can I bring, full cap mags, rifles, pistols?

Looks like I can bring SBR and Suppressor so it can not be that bad.

CSnakes
04-17-2009, 17:44
You can bring pretty much anything... once you get here though you can't buy, seel or ship and magazine over 20 rounds unless it is a .22 LR. There is a very near zero chance of getting a CCW, even if you are exmilitary or exLE.

Transport of firearms to range and home, must be empty and ammo in a separate container, in a separate part of the vehicle (ie trunk, glovebox...). When buying a new pistol you must wait for a 5 day (usually 7 with the weekend) waiting period, if new and not having an internal lock you must buy a lock from the dealer as well.

What area are you looking at?

Good luck with the job!

CSnakes

ChuteTheMall
04-17-2009, 17:47
Why not move to Virginia instead?

Concealed Handgun Permits are readily available, open carry (even in bars) is allowed, hi-caps as available as anywhere.

Of course, some Maryland locations are farther from Virginia than others, and longer commutes might influence quality of life. Where's the new job?

RWBlue
04-17-2009, 18:21
It is government work in Suitland MD. I assume it is easier to live in the same state as I work, because that is the way I have always done it. If not let me know.

backbore
04-22-2009, 05:08
You're close enough to Va to consider it. Gun laws in Va are MUCH better however, traffic is brutal. Schools are good but Fairfax County (the nearest Virginia county to Suitland, Md) grades on a curve that is being debated. It's likely to change but it's not a guarantee ( http://www.fcps.edu/news/grading.htm ).

Will you be at the Census??

Outerlimits
04-23-2009, 15:28
Unless you are at the Census complex or Naval Intelligence, that is on the same gated complex, you could need a CCW just to get in and out of Suitland, unless its been cleaned up. Not the best neighborhood, you wouldnt want to live in Suitland, so you will be searching for homes in the surounding area. No. VA. isnt that bad now that the Wilson Bridge is done. (connects Va to Md)

RWBlue
04-24-2009, 16:00
Unless you are at the Census complex or Naval Intelligence, that is on the same gated complex,

Yes, that is where I am headed.

If you were headed there, single, and on a budget, where would you live.

I am going to downsize from what I am doing now.
I am thinking of starting off with a two bedroom apartment rental.

cowboywannabe
04-24-2009, 16:05
maryland is bordered by Virginia, West By God Virginia, and Pennsylvania, all of which are far more civil rights friendly to the 2nd Amdt.

work in maryland if you must, but why live there too?

Bello
04-24-2009, 16:15
Why not move to Virginia instead?

Concealed Handgun Permits are readily available, open carry (even in bars) is allowed, hi-caps as available as anywhere.

Of course, some Maryland locations are farther from Virginia than others, and longer commutes might influence quality of life. Where's the new job?

ahh i love virginias gun laws

JTB
04-24-2009, 16:52
VA will be closer then the better parts of MD to you. You want to avoid most anything in Prince George county. Its been 10 years since I lived there but I doubt it has got better

Natty
04-25-2009, 05:35
Suitland is in Maryland's only majority black county. Prince Georges county.

This county has the most rapes, robberies, murders, shootings, burglaries, assaults, car thefts, and bars on the windows of any county in the state.

PG county is considered the cesspool of Maryland by other counties.

If I had to work in Suitland, I would never even think of living in this area.

Within driving distance of there are other much nicer counties in Maryland and Northern Virginia.

Outerlimits
04-25-2009, 06:04

Budget and housing in surrounding areas are words that dont go together, you will have to look to find something inexspensive and nice. Housing prices in the D.C. Md, Va, areas are some of the highest. My wife worked at Naval Intel. we live south of suitland down Branch Ave in Laplata. Its about a 1 hr commute for her in traffic. Waldorf is a straight shot south down Branch ave. closer than Laplata, it has a lot of housing, apartments, townhomes, and single family. But....their are some areas in Waldorf that I wouldnt want to live in. You could also go across the Wilson Bridge into No.VA. cant speak about its housing, never lived their. Just hear its also costly. But gun laws in Va. are alot better than MD.

RWBlue
04-25-2009, 07:55
Within driving distance of there are other much nicer counties in Maryland and Northern Virginia.

Give me some ideas.
Based on what I can tell from the computer, there is no decent parts to live that don't cost an arm and a leg. Hell even the crappy parts cost an arm and a leg in comparison to where I am.

cowboywannabe
04-25-2009, 09:08
all of NoVa and the maryland suburbs around d.c. are expensive. that is just the way it is. the more descent an area is, the more costly the housing. it does not matter what state youre in if you are in a 50 mile radius of wash d.c. it will be expensive.

so now you know that housing will be just as expensive in Va. or maryland, the commute to work from a descent area in either state will be about the same....

Olivers_AR
04-25-2009, 09:41
You'll be much happier living in VA and working in MD if you believe in the Second Amendment. MD is not firearm friendly, including registration and virtually no CCW/CHP unless you can prove cause, even then its hard. Suitland is not far from someplace like Springfield.

Depending on where you live, house still maybe 50-100% more, Suitland has been discussed earlier, but one thing is that DC ranks second in traffic jams, behind LA, so be prepared for it. Suggest that you visit and drive during rush hour a few times before you make a final decision.

If you have kids, thats a whole different story.

If your doing CISSP work for the Gov, there should be plenty of other options than Suitland.

It is government work in Suitland MD. I assume it is easier to live in the same state as I work, because that is the way I have always done it. If not let me know.

Natty
04-25-2009, 12:18
PM sent

ChuteTheMall
04-25-2009, 14:47

Plan on renting a one bedroom for about $1000 per month, or a two bedroom for about $1300+ per month, minimums, for close-in Alexandria, Arlingon, Falls Church, Springfield.

If it costs much less, there must be a reason, such as longer commutes (location), or lots of section 8 housing nearby (ghetto), or something else crummy. If it costs a lot more, see if the reasons are stuff you want, such as shorter commutes (location), better parking, pool, gym, more space, etc.

To me, location is the most important factor, I've lived in Alexandria, Arlington, Falls Church, Springfield and Reston (too far). I really like staying inside the Beltway, as millions of drivers from many miles around head my way, trying to be where I already am.
I compromise on space, parking, and amenities to get location.

G19AR15
05-01-2009, 08:56
I lived in Md for 45 years. I got the hell out when I retired. Don't go!
I lived in Waldorf when I sold the home and left. It's still fairly safe, but the scum are coming south from PG county to do their crime. Traffic to Suitland will be terrible, wherever you live. Best suggestion is to live in Va, just accross the WW Bridge in Alexandria. Cross into Md on Rt95 to Suitland. Even with a Va CCW, you still can't carry into Md, so watch your six.

Seriously, your happiness is worth more than $$$. Md sucks.

RWBlue
05-01-2009, 10:45
Don't go! Md sucks.

Funny thats what everyone says.

So, based on everything I am reading I am looking at Alexandria.
It looks like traffic is better going around the bottom of DC than the north.

JTB
05-01-2009, 11:26
Its shorter then good MD areas

byf43
05-06-2009, 19:53
Back in the '70s, I lived in Suitland, just about 2 miles from where you'll be relocating to.

Even back then, when I walked across the street to the 7-11 store, I put a Chief's Special, IWB and a lightweight jacket.

And that was daytime!!!!!!

The Federal Center at Suitland is behind a big fence, now.

Traffic is a real (female dog) in/around D.C., no matter where you're going.

I drive from Waldorf to Washington, DC, M-F. Everyone sofar, has been spot on with regard to what Maryland is all about, with two exceptions.
1. If you are EX-LEO, you can get a concealed carry permit (CCP) relatively easily. Otherwise. . . . you must PROVE apprenhended danger.
2. Maryland has a MANDATORY 7 Day waiting period for handgun and/or 'restricted' rifles/shotguns. Also, to purchase a 'restricted' firearm, you must 'attend' a class on Maryland gun laws, or, be a LEO, or have an approved Hunter Safety Course certificate dated after 01/2006.

Isaiah1412
05-14-2009, 22:48
Md sucks.
That's about all you need to know. I've lived here 10 years, in the northern end of the state. Its no better. I can't think of a single good thing about this state honestly.

I'm getting out as soon as I find a job, though I'm planning on moving into PA, VA is too hot :)

dex
05-25-2009, 15:31
The economy is more stable here but it's a trade-off. Anywhere you go during business hours you will hit traffic. The 495 beltway is pretty much always jacked up except for about a 4 hour window between 11 and 2pm. I've worked in IT as a project engineer and have traveled all over both beltways and all the surrounding states. If you can get a job elsewhere I would seriously consider it. My wife and I are trying to get out of MD. It's becoming an unpleasant place to live for many people unless you want to commute 1 hour plus each way to get to work.