Yet another problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Yet another problem

pascal
04-18-2009, 07:08
Howdy again,
Bad week for me and my computer. Control Panel show NTI CD DVD Maker Gold 7 and won't remove it. I've removed every vestige of the program on the computer I could find. Any ideas oh thee computer literate?
pascal

Nidob
04-18-2009, 09:19
Can you still run the program or is it just listed in the control panel as installed?

pascal
04-18-2009, 11:46
Howdy Nidob,
You can't run it. It only shows in the Control Panel List. Hope that helps!!!?!
pascal

Sgt. Schultz
04-18-2009, 11:51
Howdy again,
Bad week for me and my computer. Control Panel show NTI CD DVD Maker Gold 7 and won't remove it. I've removed every vestige of the program on the computer I could find. Any ideas oh thee computer literate?
pascalDid you just delete all of the program files or did you use "Add or Remove Programs"?

Nidob
04-18-2009, 11:55
Sure does.

It does not harm anything leaving it there, but if you want to remove it you can follow these steps:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/AddRemove.htm

A follow up to that is the use of the "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility"

Either one of those should do it. Keep in mind if you have any hesitation or concerns there should be not harm in leaving the entry in the add/remove program list.

Shoot me a PM if you hit a snag.

Have a great weekend!

-Nid

Sgt. Schultz
04-18-2009, 12:00
You can remove it manually, launch the Registry Editor and locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Each key listed under Uninstall in the left pane of Registry Editor represents a program that is displayed in the Currently installed programs list of the Add or Remove Programs tool.

To determine which program that each key represents, click the key, and then view the following values in the details pane on the right:
DisplayName: The value data for the DisplayName key is the name that is listed in Add or Remove Programs.

janice6
04-18-2009, 12:22
Sometimes I can't remove programs until I delete the following.

Go to "my computer", select the hard drive where you have Windows installed. Select "Windows", go down the list to "prefetch" and select it. Alist of running programs and most frequently run programs are displayed. BE SURE YOU SELECT "PREFETCH".

Go to edit menu and select "select all". Right click the mouse on the selected files and select "delete" all the files should be deleted and the folder should be empty.

Do not worry about deleting the prefetch directory. It accumulates the programs you run the most and puts them all in one spot so they will all load faster.

When you delete the contents of the prefetch folder, it just starts to make up a new one when you use the machine again.

GL

pascal
04-18-2009, 15:54
Hello and Thanks,
Used the Windows installer cleanup utility, no go. Looked thru the Uninstall Section and could find no reference to NTI anything.
Went to HKey.....software and found what appeared to be the original directory with all the programs CD DVD MAKER and BackupNow 4.7. I deleted all of them as they are not on my system.
Still no luck, entry shows but has no size or usage just change and remove which appears to do nothing.
Also deleted prefetch.
Thanks again. Keep the synapsis flowing. Take care.
pascal

Sgt. Schultz
04-18-2009, 16:07
Hello and Thanks,
Used the Windows installer cleanup utility, no go. Looked thru the Uninstall Section and could find no reference to NTI anything.
Went to HKey.....software and found what appeared to be the original directory with all the programs CD DVD MAKER and BackupNow 4.7. I deleted all of them as they are not on my system.
Still no luck, entry shows but has no size or usage just change and remove which appears to do nothing.
Also deleted prefetch.
Thanks again. Keep the synapsis flowing. Take care.
pascalYou have to reboot after editing the registry, did you?

pascal
04-18-2009, 20:19
No sir I did not. But I just tried and it is still there.:crying:
pascal

JimmyN
04-19-2009, 08:06
If you have uninstalled the program, but it didn't remove the Control Panel icon you can delete it from Control Panel manually.

Look in C:\WINNT\system32\
Control Panel items are the files ending in ".cpl"
Scroll down the list of files and see if you recognize the item by it's name and the .cpl extension. If so rename it as a test, in case you got the wrong file, then open Control Panel and see if it's still there. If it's not then you guessed right and can delete the renamed file. If it's still there and something else is missing rename that file to it's original name and try again

It may be easier to let the system give you the actual file name so you don't have to do any guesswork.

Open Control Panel and right click on the item you want to remove. Select create shortcut and it will tell you it can't do that, how about the desktop?

Once you've created the shortcut on the desktop right click on it and select 'Properties'. Then choose the 'Shortcut' tab and then the 'Change Icon' button. It will show you the path and .cpl file name. Go after it and throw it in the trash

Nidob
04-19-2009, 08:24
He is looking to remove a program from the ADD/REMOVE program list Jimmy, not an Icon/App in the Control Panel itself mate :)

pascal (http://glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=55125) did you follow the directions from my link or Sgt. Schultz's directions regarding editing the registry?

pascal
04-19-2009, 08:51
Hello JimmyN,
Thanks for reply. Running XP SP3 and there is not C:\WINNT. In Windows\system32 I searched and there were no *.cpl files that fit.

Hello Nidob,
Yes I did. Deleted in Regedit all references actually a Directory with Sub directories of NTI. Did not reboot and reference in Control Panel still there. The Sgt. said to reboot and I did but still with no luck. Thanks for all your suggestions, keep em coming, PLEASE.
pascal

JimmyN
04-19-2009, 08:55
Ooops, you're right. I kept thinking Control Panel list, rather than Add/Remove Programs list.

That will require a Registry edit, unless you have a tool like XP Pro or something to write the changes for you.

If you're worried about screwing up a Registry entry you can create a 'fix-it' file first that will repair any damage you've done.

Once you navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall click on the 'Uninstall' key to highlight it.

Use 'File>Export' and save it to your desktop with a name like "fixit" or something. Then make your changes in the Registry.

If you make a mistake in the Registry edit, or things don't go as planned, just double click on the 'fixit.reg' you saved to the Desktop and it will overwrite your changes with the original configuration, and you can start over.

pascal
04-19-2009, 09:03
Thanks again, but for some reason the registry edit I performed by Sgt. Schultz's directions did not clear the darn entry. Dang.
pascal

Nidob
04-19-2009, 09:33
Side note: (Pardon me if you already know of it)

Jimmy here is another great package MS offers:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

The Tweak UI app allows hiding of CPLs if you need to do it, along with many other nice things.

Older versions of Tweak UI used to allow the removal of invalid entries in ADD/REMOVE...looks like the XP version does not though :(

pascal
04-19-2009, 10:33
Worth a try, thanks. Will update results.
pascal