Thunder Finally Confirmed as Carry-Allowed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Finally Confirmed as Carry-Allowed

seanmcp
04-18-2009, 20:49
I've made phone calls and sent emails in the last couple weeks as the Thunder over Louisville page and the city pages about it said "No guns allowed anywhere in the event area (roadwise, this is Main to the Ohio river North to South, Clay to 10th East to West). FINALLY as of today LMPD came through on the guns issue for Thunder.

They clarified that the only place where legally concealed firearms would not be permitted would be INSIDE the beer tents, and that those areas would be correctly posted, as required. They stated that concealed carry by persons with legitimate CCDW permits would be allowed on the Great Lawn and other open areas, in accordance with Kentucky statutes. The Kentucky Derby Festival web site still says no guns are allowed anywhere between Main and the river and between clay and 10th, but for the time being this is a very significant victory for us. In the past, Louisville's city government simply ignored any attempts to reverse their discriminatory policy.

Now, they announced this too late for me to make plans to go, but next year, I might spend some cash at Thunder since I can now go without expecting to be the 'test case' for the event area gun ban the city was attempting to implement every year (according to their published plans).

This is a good thing. The more often that we stand up for our rights the less likely we are to lose them through inaction.

spork
04-18-2009, 21:35
Thank you for your work on this issue.

seanmcp
04-18-2009, 22:55
Thank you for your work on this issue.

I'm just one of many who made calls and wrote; I'm pretty sure my contribution was |<-->| that much while the real weight was from the KC3 |<------------------------------------->| but every bit counts and I wanted to spread the word.

Berretta9
04-19-2009, 13:07
I guess my question would be, if it's concealed, what difference does it make ?? Do we really need to ask if it's o.k. to carry on a public street that any other time would not be an issue ??

seanmcp
04-19-2009, 18:37
Beretta,

The thing is, they were saying they were planning to wand people a la Derby at some locations, and the KY Derby Festival folks, when asked, said anyone who was discovered to have a firearm through that or any other means would be ejected. They explicitly stated they didn't care if you had a CCDW or if you were open carrying in accordance with KY law. Their first answer was "It's a special event; the laws don't apply as we have a permit." When I (and others) explained that KY law doesn't HAVE any 'event' exemptions, KDF completely ignored the questions other than to say LMPD would be handling it for them.

Terminator2
04-20-2009, 10:22
I carried this year, i was prepared to put it in the car in the event of a good search, but...--depending upon where I parked, I wasn't ready to be caught naked...this year I parked closer, last year where I parked was a little uncomfortable...

wprebeck
04-20-2009, 11:24
Someone should sue the city for violating the state preemption laws....

Just saying.

seanmcp
04-20-2009, 11:28
Wes,

I don't think anyone needs to now, at least for this Thunder item, since they said they'd follow the law as written.

CJStudent
05-04-2009, 10:50
Someone should sue the city for violating the state preemption laws....

Just saying.

Yet another way our wonderous mayor-for-life thinks he overrules everything.