Windows Repair [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows Repair

rfrf
04-19-2009, 07:06
I have a IBM ThinkPad T22. It was originally windows 98, I upgraded to XP. Now it takes a long time to boot up and sometimes says a file is missing or corrupt. I have booted up with the XP upgrade cd and go to repair. It asks for administrator password. I have used the password I use for windows and it says password no valid ? Help ! This forum has helped me alot in the past. Thank You in advance.

RF

Nidob
04-19-2009, 08:26
By default most users don't know to set an adminstrator user password. Try leaving the password blank.

Bababooey
04-19-2009, 10:01
By default most users don't know to set an adminstrator user password. Try leaving the password blank.

I remember back in the day how many times I filled in passwords until I, by accident hit enter without a password and it logged in ...:faint:

Linux3
04-19-2009, 15:35
I remember back in the day how many times I filled in passwords until I, by accident hit enter without a password and it logged in .
And the security is where?

Sgt. Schultz
04-19-2009, 17:18
And the security is where?There is no REAL security with Windows unless you use some third party encryption software.

Go here ...

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

... for a free utility that will allow you to reset the password of any user account on Windows NT, 2k, XP or Vista system.

G22owner
04-19-2009, 23:34
I'm assuming you've already done a chkdsk on C, to check for file system errors? What file does it say is missing, or corrupt?

rfrf
04-20-2009, 06:12
I have pressed the enter key, still says invalid password. I was not aware of the chkdsk , I will write down the error next time it fails to boot. It seems like it was krnl32 or something like that. Thanks for all of your help !

rf

Linux3
04-20-2009, 06:31
There is no REAL security with Windows unless you use some third party encryption software.
... for a free utility that will allow you to reset the password of any user account on Windows NT, 2k, XP or Vista system.

Reset passwds and more:
http://www.knoppix-std.org/index.html

rfrf
04-21-2009, 18:26
Sorry it took so long for me to respond. The error that keeps coming up is
Windows Root>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe

Thanks for all of your help !

RF

MarcDW
04-21-2009, 19:12
Try a MacBook and you don't have problems.
I did a month ago and glad I made the change after 16+ years!

BigSexy
04-21-2009, 19:39
If you do end up not being able to recover the OS, Linux would run pretty well on there.

Linux3
04-22-2009, 06:46
If you do end up not being able to recover the OS, Linux would run pretty well on there.
Actually I know a number of people with old Thinkpad T22s. Linux runs just OK on them. It actually runs pretty well but the graphics are poor. The T22 played tricks with video memory. It only has 8 megs and then kind of like a WinModem is to a hardware modem the T22 graphics to real graphics.
So if you use something like Xubuntu with xfce window manager you are OK but I wouldn't try to run Gnome of KDE.