serial number search [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : serial number search

mansky
04-19-2009, 22:47
a pistol is being offered for sale. i am very interested in it BUT i was told by someone knowledgeable that those made in Manurhin, France are not exactly recommended for purchase. older guns dont specify their country of origin.

is it possible to know the origin of a "piece" by just knowing the serial number?
is there a website where to check/verify this information?

unit is a walther PPK. as viewed from the pics sent, looks german made. would just like to make sure

vega
04-19-2009, 23:08
From Walther website:

4. Are all Walther pistols manufactured in Germany?

The PPS, SP22, P99, P22 and G22 are manufactured in Germany. The PPK and PPK/S-1 are manufactured by Smith & Wesson in their Houlton, Maine plant.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10002&catalogId=13102&content=43307

mansky
04-20-2009, 02:12
thank you for the info.

mansky
04-20-2009, 02:24

zorkd
04-21-2009, 10:16
old walther ppk in .22, some of them were made in germany

CatsMeow
04-21-2009, 18:47
a pistol is being offered for sale. i am very interested in it BUT i was told by someone knowledgeable that those made in Manurhin, France are not exactly recommended for purchase. older guns dont specify their country of origin.

is it possible to know the origin of a "piece" by just knowing the serial number?
is there a website where to check/verify this information?

unit is a walther PPK. as viewed from the pics sent, looks german made. would just like to make sure

Actually, Manurhin of France made Walther PP series pistols after the war until Walther got production going again. Allegedly some Walther PPs were actually Manurhin-made. AFAIK no difference in quality, in fact their revolvers are top-notch.

If you have Handguns magazine, or Guns and Ammo, you could e-mail them. Also, if you have Shotgun News you could e-mail Jim Supica.

CatsMeow
04-21-2009, 19:57
Couldn't get the e-mail of those guys concerned online, perhaps in the magazines themselves. Anyway it doesn't really matter if the PPK is made in France or Germany, if I were you I'd grab it.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/2188/index.html

Now if you want a Walther oddity, check out the Walther REVOLVER.

mansky
04-22-2009, 01:19
Now if you want a Walther oddity, check out the Walther REVOLVER.

Would you have a reference site where the revolver may be viewed?

BTW, thank you for all your advice. I already got the unit. I'm just waiting for my check to clear with the seller before i can "legally" own the unit!!! :supergrin:

mansky
04-22-2009, 01:20
BTW, anyone with german lugers who would want to let them go? i'm interested in acquiring one. P08 or the P38 variety!!!

CatsMeow
04-22-2009, 03:44
Would you have a reference site where the revolver may be viewed?

BTW, thank you for all your advice. I already got the unit. I'm just waiting for my check to clear with the seller before i can "legally" own the unit!!! :supergrin:

Here you go:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=272068&page=2

It's nothing more than a modified Smith and Wesson .357 Magnum revolver, for the European market.:supergrin:

Congrats on your new Walther! I'm eyeing the Norinco Makarovs Twin Pines sells, hope they bring down the price during this July's gunshow.