Varmint huning on Sundays on private land [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Varmint huning on Sundays on private land

Dan
04-20-2009, 06:50
The reason I ask, the private property is also a cattle farm. The owner has lost two calves to Coyotes this year. I asked one person and he told me no hunting at all on Sundays, another said pest control such as varmints on private property with live stock is a different story. :dunno:

STP
04-20-2009, 11:58
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/general.asp

The way I read it....the answer is NO.

Dan
04-20-2009, 12:44
I just called them a little bit ago and I got the same answer.

Wolfgang
04-21-2009, 07:11
I like this rule:

"Kill or attempt to kill any deer while in a boat or other type of watercraft."

You ever seen a deer in a boat?

On your own property I believe it is ok to dispose of an animal attacking your livestock any time of day or night or any day of the week including Sunday. If the varmit figures out he is safe on Sunday, he will only attack the cows , sheep, etc on Sunday. Dem varmits are smart!

Aroooo
04-21-2009, 07:38
It is a bit contradictory. "Hunt wild birds and wild animals with firearms or other weapons on Sunday, except on licensed shooting preserves." But it also says "...Bobcat, foxes, raccoons, and opossums may be hunted by day or night during authorized seasons..." and "...Nuisance species may be taken day or night..." Is private property with livestock considered a 'shooting preserve'?

Aroooo
04-21-2009, 07:43
Just found this:
"LEGAL STATUS: The coyote is legally classified as a nuisance species and may be killed at anytime, except coyotes may not be killed with a gun, firearm, or other weapon on Sunday." PDF here (http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/habitat_partners/infosheets/coyote.pdf)

Dan
04-21-2009, 16:53
It is a bit contradictory. "Hunt wild birds and wild animals with firearms or other weapons on Sunday, except on licensed shooting preserves." But it also says "...Bobcat, foxes, raccoons, and opossums may be hunted by day or night during authorized seasons..." and "...Nuisance species may be taken day or night..." Is private property with livestock considered a 'shooting preserve'?

Just found this:
"LEGAL STATUS: The coyote is legally classified as a nuisance species and may be killed at anytime, except coyotes may not be killed with a gun, firearm, or other weapon on Sunday." PDF here (http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/habitat_partners/infosheets/coyote.pdf)

Thats why I asked, there is livestock present on private property and the landowner has proof & documentation that coyotes are killing the calves.

I asked Bedford VDGIF, "if we see a coyote(s) attacking a calf on a Sunday" she cut me off and said NO HUNTING ON SUNDAYS

klt1986
04-21-2009, 20:32
Thats why I asked, there is livestock present on private property and the landowner has proof & documentation that coyotes are killing the calves.

I asked Bedford VDGIF, "if we see a coyote(s) attacking a calf on a Sunday" she cut me off and said NO HUNTING ON SUNDAYS

You could look at it as shooting and not hunting.:supergrin: I know what I'd do if it were my property and livestock.

Aroooo
04-22-2009, 06:26
I just don't understand why not on Sundays?

Wolfgang
04-22-2009, 06:53
Maybe a fine line and if it went to court in this county I think a farmer protecting his herd would be ok, but I wouldn't want to be a test case.

There is a difference in protecting your herd and hunting.

By the way---if a farmer protects his calf on Sunday, who is going to tell?

cmspeedy
04-22-2009, 06:56
On the 7th day God rested from killing varmint.

cmspeedy
04-22-2009, 06:57
Stupid law - shoot em anyway. They aren't any less of a pest on Sundays'

SAWMAN
04-22-2009, 07:04
In some states there is a ol' blue law that prevents hunting on Sunday. So why fishing ?? Anyway.......the same states have a law that states you can legally protect your livestock from 'bout anything. Even domestic dogs. This,while the livestock is being attacked. Not by calling or baiting the animal.

Best to call and make sure first.

Aroooo
04-22-2009, 08:34
VA CODE:

3.2-6583. (Effective October 1, 2008) Hybrid canines killing, injuring or chasing livestock.
It shall be the duty of any animal control officer or other officer who may find a hybrid canine in the act of killing or injuring livestock or poultry to kill such hybrid canine forthwith, whether such hybrid canine bears a tag or not. Any person finding a hybrid canine committing any of the depredations mentioned in this section may kill such hybrid canine on sight as may any owner of livestock or his agent finding a hybrid canine chasing livestock on land lawfully utilized by the livestock when the circumstances show that such chasing is harmful to the livestock. Any court may order the animal control officer or other officer to kill any hybrid canine known to be a confirmed livestock or poultry killer, and any hybrid canine that kills poultry for a third time shall be considered a confirmed poultry killer. The court, through its contempt powers, may compel the owner, custodian, or harborer of the hybrid canine to produce the hybrid canine.

Emphasis mine.

3.2-6581. (Effective October 1, 2008) Definitions.

Defines coyote as a hybrid canine. I'm not a lawyer, but I would argue that protection of livestock trumps just eliminating a nuisance varmint on Sundays.

cmspeedy
04-22-2009, 13:13
I wait until Easter Sunday.

vafish
04-22-2009, 14:48
Target shooting is legal on Sundays.

One shot might be hunting, a bunch of shots sounds like guys target shooting.

solie
04-22-2009, 19:11
I got the same answer from them about shooting Rock Pigeons which are classified as Nuisances.

Was told that I could shoot them anytime day or night except for sundays.

Stupid law. :steamed: They tried changing it a year or so ago but it went no where.

cmspeedy
04-23-2009, 05:08
I used to get upset by laws such as this, but the older and wiser I get they don't bother me.

Our nation was founded on Christian values and straying from those values has led to to our current society, which is wrought with problems. I'm not even Christian, but I understand what made our country great.

I don't whine about laws like this or blue laws because I value greatly the American way of life and have come to understand how it came to be - Christian values were at the center of our founders vision - straying from those has been a major mistake.

Having said that I dont believe that this is a very big deal. I wouldn't have even posted here and I would have rotting coyote carcasses all over my land if I had a problem with them.

RWBlue
04-30-2009, 00:33
I currently sit in Ohio. Until recently we were not allowed to hunt on Sunday either.

My suggestion is talk to some legal people. A few phone calls talking about sueing because of seperation of church and state can go a long way. Most of the time I can only hunt on Sat and Sun, so they are cutting my ability to hunt in half.