LogMeIn Hamachi [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LogMeIn Hamachi

havensal
04-20-2009, 11:51
We have a need for remote access to our accounting software that is server based. After talking to a friend, he recommended LogMeIn Hamachi.

First question, has anybody used this before? Is there a better/more secure option?

Second, I am leery of installing directly on the server. The clients that need access all take their computers home, so their workstations are not here to connect to. Is it worth it to set up a workstation for them to log into instead of the server?

I am just concerned about keeping our data safe from outsiders. :wavey:

ron59
04-20-2009, 14:55
This is usually where VPNs (Virtual private networks) come in. You have to have the correct certificate installed on the local (off site) machine, with dedicated password. Each user is assigned a password, so if someone leaves the company, their password can be deleted and they can't get access even though they have the VPN software installed and certificate.

It is a little difficult for non-techies to setup, usually it's setup on staff laptops. They have the laptop at work, IT guy sets everything up for them.. away you go.

This approach is usually to give *staff* access to the company network while at home/travelling... not sure if this is entirely appropriate as you refer to clients ???

MikeG22
04-22-2009, 22:19
What kind of accounting software. What OS is the server running? Hopefully you have a good firewall and get a VPN built out. Also you could turn the server into a Terminal Server and let people connect that way as an option as well depending on how the software works.

MikeG22
04-22-2009, 22:20
My company (consulting company) has an office up there and could get it setup for you. PM me if you want the info.

havensal
04-23-2009, 06:27
My company (consulting company) has an office up there and could get it setup for you. PM me if you want the info.

Please PM me the info.

We a running Syspro for our accounting software. The server is running SBS2003. The firewall is a Sysco PIX, I can't remember the model off the top of my head.

Two issues with setting up the VPN. 1) I wasn't here when the T1 was set up and I don't know the PW for the PIX. 2) I have no idea how to program the PIX. There is no GUI. :dunno: