A little help with OC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A little help with OC

G23shooter
04-21-2009, 09:37
I guess this belongs here, if not mods feel free to re-locate.

I am looking for a discrete OC delivery system for a female.

I was thinking about this http://www.asp-net.com/oc.html , probably either the Palm Defender or the Key Defender in a female friendly color.

This unit is supposed to have 10% Oleoresin Capsicum. I have never paid attention to OC before so is 10% good? Do they make a discrete OC that is say 50% or 75%?

ANyone have any expierience with the ASP system?

gifters
04-21-2009, 09:41
10% OC is good, the highest I have seen advertised is 20% and is overkill for most applications, unless you have an extreemly limited volume at your disposal.

dugo
05-06-2009, 18:39
I'm looking for my wife, too.

I'd heard a stream is better than spray, spray better than mist. Also, mine needs something with a truly failsafe trigger mechanism. (Lots of stuff in the pocket, lots of moving around, genuine big disaster if it got set off, no where else to carry it.)

I'm going to check the ASP sight, and will checking back here to see what other suggestions you get. Thanks for the thread.

dugo
05-07-2009, 08:04
ASP and FOX both look very good on the internet to me. Not sure about trigger mechanism; may need to see 'em up close. FOX may have the more effective OC solution, but could be some hype in there, too. ASP should also be effective. Both have good reviews. Anyone got them?

FireForged
05-07-2009, 12:30
There are all kinds of gizmo's but I suggest you get a standard 4oz high pressure can. Afterall, you want the thing to work. They have stream, fog and foam. I suggest the stream. I regualrly see OC rated at 500,000 to 1mil SHU's as the average. Just remember that no matter how careful you are, you are likely to be exposed to the OC youself. You really dont want overkill.

dugo
05-08-2009, 07:50
Good point about overkill, Fire. Hadn't thought that out ... thanks.

NDC187
05-09-2009, 21:14
I would recommend stream. I have gotten in a sd situation in another country with a gang where i used a big fogger. I sprayed the main attacker but since it was in a public area the mist traveled and hit by standers that was observing not to mention it got me too. The authorities were not very happy to say the least.

Be sure you learn how to train with it. Spray and move out of the line of attack and get away. It's not a complete stopper. I also recommend spraying yourself a few times so you know the effects and how to combat them. The man I sprayed was still able to fight for a few minutes and then retreated from pain. If the mist did not carry over I had about 5 of his buddies to contend with.

P.S. i would buy the most potent thing available. Kimber has a new jet propulsion system. Its small and compact but I'm not sure how many squirts are in there.

Mrs.Cicero
05-10-2009, 14:36
whatever you get, TEST IT before carrying it - it really bites when you whip out that spray can, press the button, and all it does is drip in a stream down your hand... ask my SIL.

Mrs.C