Windows XP home (sp3) upgrade with XP Pro (sp2) ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP home (sp3) upgrade with XP Pro (sp2) ?

TBO
04-21-2009, 20:12
I have a new system that has OEM Windows XP Home (sp3).

I have a Windows XP Pro upgrade disc (sp2).

How do I upgrade? (w/o a reformat)

I doubt Microsoft would be inclined to give me a XP Pro upgrade disc (sp3), right?

IndyGunFreak
04-21-2009, 20:36
I would think you just run the upgrade CD... but I've never upgraded any OS.. always did clean installs.

srhoades
04-21-2009, 21:41
Slipstream SP3 into the install and burn a new CD. Get nLite

http://www.nliteos.com/download.html

Arr6
04-21-2009, 22:33
Yea pop the CD in and upgrade. Be sure to backup your info first!

JimmyN
04-22-2009, 07:40
When you run the upgrade CD it will detect the existing XP home installation.

You'll probably then have the option to upgrade the existing OS, or do a fresh install of Windows to another folder.

Once it is installed 'Windows Update' will download and install SP3. You'll have a bunch of security updates to catch up on anyway, might as well let Windows Update take care of all of it. You'll probably have to reboot several times in the process of installing all the updates and patches

grokdesigns
04-22-2009, 09:34
What are you hoping to gain by going from XP Home to Pro?

TBO
04-22-2009, 11:29
What are you hoping to gain by going from XP Home to Pro?User Account privileges set up.

Home only gives you 2, Admin (everything), and Limited (nothing).

Pro allows you to set a Power Users group and then pick/choose what they can do.

Blitzer
04-22-2009, 11:54
When you run the upgrade CD it will detect the existing XP home installation.

You'll probably then have the option to upgrade the existing OS, or do a fresh install of Windows to another folder.

Once it is installed 'Windows Update' will download and install SP3. You'll have a bunch of security updates to catch up on anyway, might as well let Windows Update take care of all of it. You'll probably have to reboot several times in the process of installing all the updates and patches

Most patches and fixes will automatically reboot the system if you set the update tool to automatic download and install. ;)

trashcat
04-22-2009, 13:37
Windows no matter what version always works better from a clean install. I would only run an upgrade if I had programs where I had lost the install license and absolutely had to have them.
Before you do anything back up everything, computers know when you don't have a backup and they will chose that time to fail miserably. Boot from the upgrade cd, chose "install a new version" at the partition selection delete your old "c:" partition and create a new partition, use ntfs filesystem only. Doing this will destroy any existing data, you made that complete backup right? Some computerers have a "restore partition" the partion you want to delete and recreate is labeled "c:", although if you don't want the restore partition because it would restore to you're old xp home version you could delete them both and have a new slightly largert c partion. At some point it will ask you to prove that you're really upgrading by having to insert your original xp home cd. When you're done installing start the windows update cycle, run updates, reboot, run updates again, reboot, keep runing updates and rebooting until there are no more critical updates. SP3 should be installed the first time you run windows updates. Keep in mind that if your conputer is much newer than the xp upgrade cd windows may have a problem with your network adapter you may have to find your drivers disc that came with the computer. Or in most cases you can download the drivers disc from the manufactuers web site.