Any Home Video Security Experts Out There? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any Home Video Security Experts Out There?

Tomkat
04-22-2009, 16:08
I'm considering purchasing a video surveilance system for my home. I've just begun my search so excuse my ignorance. I do know I want four outdoor cameras. Beyond that, I'm open to suggestions and input. Any help would be appreciated. I know that higher quality/features requires more money. I really want something simple, that will record day and night and that I can view over the internet while away from home. Costs? Ideas? Best places to buy? Thanks in advance.

betyourlife
04-23-2009, 22:04
I'm considering purchasing a video surveilance system for my home. I've just begun my search so excuse my ignorance. I do know I want four outdoor cameras. Beyond that, I'm open to suggestions and input. Any help would be appreciated. I know that higher quality/features requires more money. I really want something simple, that will record day and night and that I can view over the internet while away from home. Costs? Ideas? Best places to buy? Thanks in advance.

You mean you want to record day and night as in 24/7 or as in be able to see in the dark with them? If the latter, you want outdoor infrared IP cameras. Be aware that infrared has a limited range depending on what you buy; some go out 10 feet while others go out much much farther. Bosch makes good ones but they are more for commercial use and are expensive. For residential stuff, you are looking at anywhere from $250 - $1,000 a piece depending on the quality you are looking for.

You can hook an IP camera right into your computer and use it to record the video, though you have to leave your computer on all the time.