LaserMax Internal Laser Sight for Glock? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LaserMax Internal Laser Sight for Glock?

j45
04-23-2009, 06:05
http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=1

Is this any good? this is the guide rod laser in the ad box we see to the right all the time on GF

Not inexpensive at $349 on special. I dont want a laser grip. Too thick grip. I see the usual rail mount jobs and wonder if this would be more accurate since its parallel to the bore axis and closer to it.

I want it for my wife for a training aid. she is a new shooter. yes her hands are slowly getting stronger but she needs a lot of help I would say right now here group is something like 10-12 inches. and of course low and to the left

Is it worth it?

Opinions?

oldschoolcj5
04-23-2009, 06:18
I have NOT tried one myself. I have read a few reviews on them. The company seems easy to work with and willing to stand behind their product. Several reviews talked about the brightness and accuracy of the sight as being great. The one negative that has shown up in a couple reviews is that the on/off switch (which is the slide stop lever) can be easily bumped and thus turned on by some holsters.

That's about all I know about these
Mike

j45
04-23-2009, 06:21
Thanks Mike! I dont think that for now the holster thing is an issue I have a Blackhawk Serpa and perhaps since its molded plastic and the gun locks in it wont be an issue. But for her she wont be using a holster so your reply is very helpful

j45
04-23-2009, 06:21
Mike, don't knock yourself out, but if you have urls to reviews I would appreciate when you get a chance :-)

Rotn1
04-23-2009, 06:28
I have a G19 with one installed. I like it. It is so unobtrusive, substituting as the guide rod that it is easy to forget it is there.

Only issue, sometimes the on / off switch is a little stiff. The on / off switch doubles as the slide disassembly release.

If you want a laser on your Glock this is a good way to go IMHO.

bcmclane
04-23-2009, 06:30
I used to have one and liked it. I could take or leave a laser, but since it doesn't change the exterior of the gun at all why not? The gun had around 8,000 rounds through it when sold and never had a problem.

Glocked-N-Loaded
04-23-2009, 06:42
I love the idea behind it and all, but $350? No thank you, I just cannot justify some $350 piece of bling that is optional, not required. I would rather put $350 towards a new gun.

j45
04-23-2009, 06:47
yeah, price, that was my hangup with it. But I found an online dealer at $305 so its getting better.

Something to think about. I am considering my wife, so the investment doesn't bother me as much as buying a piece of bling for me.

Glocked-N-Loaded
04-23-2009, 07:05
Yah it ultimately boils down to whether you have an extra $300+ in disposable income to spend on something like that. If you do then go for it, if you're like me however, that $300+ could go a long way towards a new gun or elsewhere. Like I said, if it was required or something I couldn't live without, that would be a different story, but my iron sights have never failed me yet.

j45
04-23-2009, 08:01
currently $ is all about ammo!!

MurrayNevada
04-23-2009, 08:36
I know the laser acts as a captured recoil rod/spring assembly but can the recoil spring be changed. I change springs in other pistols and know that recoil springs need to be changed from time to time.

rts
04-23-2009, 08:55
Have one. Like it. Its there if/when you want it, otherwise you dont know its there.The folks at LM are good to deal with.
One thing the directions DONT tell you is that if the trigger is forward, (cocked?) the switch works well. If the trigger is in the rear position (after being pulled) the switch (for me) needs so much pressure I cant operate it with my finger. This is NORMAL.

After posting this on GT, it seems every one but me knew it.

glocKKid415
04-27-2009, 22:20
great product for any of the compacts or baby glocks

GLOCKREAPER
04-27-2009, 22:43
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=888

cslater
04-27-2009, 22:51
I am kinda new to Glocks but I bought this Gen 2 10mm and love it.
Seems to be eating up all my available cash besides its regular diet of ammo these days,I remember when 10mm was as cheap as 357 or 38 special.

I have a question maybe a experienced Glocker could answer.
Im looking for a way to convert the Model 20 10mm to 9mm.
I see a Lonewolf 40 caliber conversion since its the same head size
but even if I obtain a 9mm slide will it fit on a Large Frame 20.
I'd like to shoot it more and 9mm is about as cheap as it gets in my area.

BTW I have a 6 inch ported LWD 9x25 and a sprinco recoil reducer
that just plain feels good when it shoots,and its really not as loud or as wrist wrenching as its made out to be.
But then again Im used to shooting heavy magnum guns.

I also invested in a GI50 conversion That is very nicely done.
Alex @ Guncrafters is a One of a kind Gunsmith and Machinist and a Great guy.Have not yet shot it and plan on purchasing a LasermAx internal laser
but the price is a bit high right now.

I hope to hunt this year with the 9x25

Any help would be appreciated with the 9mm conversion

Charles

RayB
04-27-2009, 22:59
We've had the LaserMax guide rod lasers in our G19 and G21 for years, and over thousands of rounds they've proved accurate and reliable.

On the following thread, I reviewed the LaserMax Sabre, and further down, recapped the Pros and Cons of three LaserMax lasers:

1) Guide Rod
2) UNI-GREEN (UNI-MAX)
3) Sabre

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12654888#post12654888

And yes, you can get everything to periodically rebuild your LaserMax guide rod laser with a phone call to the OEM: 800-527-3703

--Ray

RayB
04-27-2009, 23:15
Im looking for a way to convert the Model 20 10mm to 9mm...

Charles

Caliber conversions can sometimes be achieved with OEM drop in parts. At other times, aftermarket caliber conversion barrels and additional magazines will do the trick.

Caliber conversions can be lateral, like .40 S&W to .357 Sig (since the .357 Sig is essentially a .40 S&W case necked down to accommodate a 9 mm bullet). The conversion of a G22, say, to a .357 Sig, can be achieved with the purchase of an OEM G31 barrel. Thatís it!

Caliber conversions can be downward, like .45 ACP to 10 mm, since the footprint is close enough. This conversion in a 3rd Gen G21 .45 would require a .45 Ė 10 mm Caliber Conversion Barrel, and OEM 10 mm magazines.

The 9 X 25 Dillon Caliber is essentially a 10 mm necked down to a 9 mm cartridge, so a caliber conversion barrel should do the trick.

A Caliber Conversion Barrel combines the outside dimensions of the original caliber with the inside dimensions of the substitute caliber.

For obvious reasons, the two caliberís footprints can't be too dissimilar, otherwise the breach face won't fit the firing chamber, and the magazines won't accommodate the frame.

Upward caliber conversions, say from 9mm to .45 ACP, arenít doable because the footprints of both calibers are too dissimilar.

--Ray

Glockster_James
04-28-2009, 02:16
Mike, don't knock yourself out, but if you have urls to reviews I would appreciate when you get a chance :-)

Search is your friend. ;)

Laser question (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1046719&highlight=lasermax)
Lasermax Questions answered by Lasermax Techs (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948246&highlight=lasermax)
Who uses lasers (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1040149&highlight=lasermax)
Glock n laser dilema (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1039810&highlight=lasermax)
Comments on Lasermax (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1025715&highlight=lasermax)

Okay, so I got bored. lol. But you did ask. :tongueout: Almost forgot...I'd listen to what Ray has to say about lasers and lights. He continues to use the ones he has and isn't afraid to tell you the good and bad of his experiences with different makes and models.

glide
04-28-2009, 02:24
I've got a Lasermax laser guide rod in my Glock 19. I've had it for about three months now. I was able to get it for $285 online and got a $30 rebate on it. When I compared the POA to the POI the difference was about 2" low at 50 feet. I didn't mind that too muchl. But with my Crimson Trace laser grips, I am able to adjust both elevation and windage to what distance I am confortable shooting at.

English
04-28-2009, 04:51
I am kinda new to Glocks but I bought this Gen 2 10mm and love it.
Seems to be eating up all my available cash besides its regular diet of ammo these days,I remember when 10mm was as cheap as 357 or 38 special.

Im looking for a way to convert the Model 20 10mm to 9mm.

For what you want you are probably out of luck. A few months back Lone Wolf ran off a small batch of 9mm conversion barrels for the G20. The idea was good but the 9mm did not have the momentum to drive the heavy G20 slide. They converted some to .38 Super and sold some as they were on the understanding that they would need handloaded 9mm with 147gn and higher power. This defeats the object of cheaper practice of course and if you are handloading you can go to 357SIG or .40S&W for much the same cost per round.

English

j45
04-28-2009, 05:08
Here something that is bugging me and the LaserMax may answer. (for a price!)

I have contributed on another thread about the possiblity that some new 19s are shooting low and left. The consensus seems to be, NEWBIE. not gun. Okay fine. Progress in breaking in the gun and shooting has been slow, one reason is the availablity of 9mm around here. I just got a bit more and can continue this week, but so far I have almost 300 rounds through the gun and perhaps thats not enough, (for the break-in and me)

Last weekend I had a veteran shooter put a few rounds through my gun. He is a SIG guy but owns Glocks. He shot low and to the left (he said it may be him as last week he seemed to be off)

Not that I am going to spend $300 to find out, BUT question is will the installation of a LaserMax guide rod indicate right away if the gun is off? In other words if I line up the gun to where I think i will hit bullseye, the LM may indicate otherwise, yes?

(yes this is a newbie question)

johnsonabq
04-28-2009, 06:14

I have contributed on another thread about the possiblity that some new 19s are shooting low and left. The consensus seems to be, NEWBIE. not gun. Okay fine. Progress in breaking in the gun and shooting has been slow, one reason is the availablity of 9mm around here. I just got a bit more and can continue this week, but so far I have almost 300 rounds through the gun and perhaps thats not enough, (for the break-in and me)

Last weekend I had a veteran shooter put a few rounds through my gun. He is a SIG guy but owns Glocks. He shot low and to the left (he said it may be him as last week he seemed to be off)

Not that I am going to spend $300 to find out, BUT question is will the installation of a LaserMax guide rod indicate right away if the gun is off? In other words if I line up the gun to where I think i will hit bullseye, the LM may indicate otherwise, yes?

Low and left is a real issue and lies with the shooter. In order to reveal the low and left problem you (or someone with you) have to watch the laser through the trigger pull and round firing. The laser should dip just before the round fires.

I have the lasermax but have not been unable to shoot with it yet. I have however been practicing my dry fire every morning with my coffee before work. Concentrating on a straight pull and steady hand.

Another thing that seemed to work for me was something suggested to me by someone just back from LFI. Grip the gun very hard. This is the opposite of what I had heard before but I tried it (before getting the laser) and it helped. The theory is that if you use that gun to defend your life you're going to have a death-grip on it anyway.

IMHO night sights and a laser are important tools to have at your disposal on a self defense weapon. They are not tricks or gimmicks but have a place in the real world. Some will disagree with me and that's cool. I just feel that when defending life and limb, I want any advantage I can get.

BTW check here for the LaserMax. (http://www.lasersales.com/index.php/cPath/42_70_343?osCsid=f62cb975f901dfae816c2ea65683ebdc)

GunQuest
04-28-2009, 06:19

In theory the lasermax should shoot to the point of laser on the target. Use a rest and do not use the sights. Place the laser on the bullseye or on a place that you know. Pull the trigger without using the glock sights and see where the bullet impacts. In theory the bullet should hit close to the laser dot and your front sight should be lined up with laser dot. If it all goes according to plan then you the shooter are causing the glock to shoot low and to the left...

j45
04-28-2009, 07:40
both JohnsonABQ and GunQuest. thanks so much for the comments! And the link!

Glockster_James
04-28-2009, 17:43

Though a Lasermax laser is a great tool and can be a great addition to a defensive firearm, what you're talking about will not be corrected by a laser, nor will it be corrected with a "break-in" process. The only way to correct it is lots of dry fire practice and live fire practice and learn the trigger on a Glock. It takes time and practice. Yes, its possible for the sights to be off or the gun...but most often, its the shooter and the trigger that needs to be corrected. Goodluck.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/evaneaston/SO7SdhyX5TI/AAAAAAAAAy0/f3hUDIf2r8s/s400/TargetRH.png

RayB
04-28-2009, 18:56
Though a Lasermax laser is a great tool and can be a great addition to a defensive firearm, what you're talking about will not be corrected by a laser...

I'm thinking it will...

But it will be the laser correcting the shooter, not the gun (as you've implied). I've seen it time and again, lasers fast-track a new shooter's technique!

Lasers make point shooting instinctive, because the process happens in real time--like throwing and catching a ball. Lasers do what tracer bullets do in fully automatic weapons--they direct the stream of fire onto the target without sighting down the barrel. Grip, aim, and especially trigger finesse, all improve automatically.

Here's another link for LaserMax, well under $300.00 with free shipping:

http://www.lasersales.com/index.php/cPath/42_70_343?osCsid=4632c915b9ecdf6b1307a5442b21a61d

--Ray

mvician
04-28-2009, 21:11
:supergrin:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/GLOCKs/G36laser007.jpg

TangoFoxtrot
02-06-2010, 12:10
I have one on my G23 and love it! No problems for 7 years now.

goatranch
02-06-2010, 12:33
I recently saw one of those and it was well made and worked well. Not wanting to spend that kind of money I opted for one of these. the Laser Max Uni Max. At $165.00 half the price it is awesome. And I can switch it to me AR when I want. Fits right on the rail.

http://lasermax.com/cat_info.php?id=10

Love it.

rd3
02-07-2010, 06:36
I have one on my g23 and its great. I also had the down and left problem. The laser helped me correct by using it to dry fire. Put the laser on the wall, pull the trigger and watch the laser. Sure enought it would move down and left when I pulled the trigger. Kept practicing until I got the trigger pull right and the laser wouldn't move. It was almost worth it just for the help correcting my trigger pull. I'm still practicing but I know what I'm doing wrong.

Also, if you are patient you can buy one for around 200 used on here. Some buy them and don't like them so they sell used. I got mine for $180 from another member. I had a problem with it turning on/off by itself and called lasermax. They sent me a new on/off switch that day, got it two days later. Fixed the problem. Great customer service and they stood behind it even though I didn't buy it new.

texas 48
02-10-2010, 23:13
I agree the laser helps you become a better shooter. The benifit in a SHTF situation is time. The laser can help you become a better point shooter because @ closer combat ranges you can sure that you will be closer to your target, can get a shot off on target if you are out of a triangle stance on the ground or have to use your off hand. They are an advantage if you have aging eyes or you don't have your glasses on. Futhermore several LEO have claimed that putting the laser on the target can have a deterrent effect on the attacker.